Thread: Primal calamari recipe? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Primal calamari recipe?

Primal Fuel
    Hubby and I bought some calamari last night...wild calamari, but I have no idea how to fix it. Is it like fish? Little butter and lemon juice maybe? Do you bake it or pan sear and for how long? Thanks!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I haven't made it in years, but you have to be very careful not to overcook it. My experience is with breaded and fried. Is it pre-cleaned or whole? If it's whole run it under water in a colander and slide your finger up into the body checking for grit but also a thin, flat cartilage that they have. Splay the tentacles out and cut in half and slice the body into rings.

If you want to bread and fry it, a recipe that I've been using that's been great on frog legs and chicken so far. I'm itching to try it on catfish.

Pork rinds
    Fresh crushed black pepper
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    dried parsley
    paprika

I do this to taste, throw everything in a food processor until pork rinds are crushed and everything is blended. Then pour it into a container with a lid.

Eggs
    Heavy whipping cream

Beat a couple of eggs with a couple tablespoons of the cream. Coat the squid with the liquid batter and toss in batches in the dry.

Fry in smallish batches in hot oil, not more than about a minute. Test a few pieces first. If you overdo it they'll turn into hard, dry rubberbands.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    We enjoy it sauteed with tomatoes, capers, olives, lemon zest, garlic, and red onion. It make a really nice little Greek dish and I love it over a little crisp shredded romaine. You want to cook all the other items first, and put the calamari in last for a couple minutes. Squeeze some fresh lemon and garnish with fresh parsley.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I second not overcooking it. There is nothing as chewy as overcooked squid.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Cut into rings, stir-fry over high heat for only a couple of minutes - any longer and they'll toughen up - let cool and toss with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and parsley for a delicious calamari salad

Oxytone is offline Junior Member
    Calamari has to be cooked quickly to stay tender OR you have to cook it a long time to get it back to being tender. If it's gone tough it can take 30 - 60 minutes to get tender again.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It is great in tomato based sauces especially, but yeah, don't cook it more than a single minute. It is basically pure protein.

RachNZ is offline Junior Member
    this is my fave - Braised Calamari Stuffed with Shrimp, Spinach and Herbs Recipe : Anne Burrell : Food Network

using flax meal or something (want to try coconut next attempt) - instead of breadcrumbs. save time by not stuffing the tubes and just processing all the ingredients and making it into patties or balls.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    One alternative to flash frying it is to slow cook it in a tomato and bay sauce. 2 hours simmering will give you squid rings that melt in the mouth. Seriously delicious.