Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alkaline water page

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Anyone tried or hear this? My madre is planning on buying some Kangen water; it basically produces alkaline water for drinking and washing food ect... and acidic water for killing bacteria, and all the "bad" stuff.

I never believe that there is a magic bullet that will take away all your worries and ailments, but the water actually looks helpful, and it makes sense that being shifted towards an alkaline state would improve overall health.

I do know that the metabolic typing crowd don't believe in it for the types that are naturally alkaline (slow oxidizer) as too alkaline isn't good either.

Anyone try it?

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Some people will believe anything.

The western US suffers from alkaline water and we've spent 150 years making drinking water better, i.e., getting rid of the alkalinity.

You want alkaline? Add any alkali to it: sodium or potassium hydroxide, baking soda, borax, grocery store washing soda.

You want acidic water? Vinegar is the obvious choice.

Just drink water from the tap. Most drinking water in the US is great stuff, unlike before that nasty gummint EPA got involved.

Some people will believe anything.

The western US suffers from alkaline water and we've spent 150 years making drinking water better, i.e., getting rid of the alkalinity.

You want alkaline? Add any alkali to it: sodium or potassium hydroxide, baking soda, borax, grocery store washing soda.

You want acidic water? Vinegar is the obvious choice.

Just drink water from the tap. Most drinking water in the US is great stuff, unlike before that nasty gummint EPA got involved.

Haha I hope that wasn't in reference to me OTB... I know I've been goin crazy with the codex issue, but I was doubtful about this one from the start.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

From what I understand, the pH of the blood circulating in your system has a range of only 7.35 to 7.45 and does pretty well at keeping your pH where it should be. You can change the pH of your urine, but what's the point of that? I find all of this alkaline/acid food stuff not to make much sense.

"One problem is, at least in this article, these guys seem see urine and saliva pH as representative of the state of "body pH." The two are not the same. For one thing, unlike the urine, saliva is not used by the body to get rid of excess acid or base. For another thing, although the pH of your urine can indeed range from 4.5 to 8.0 (nearly four orders of magnitude difference in H+ concentration), urine pH is not body pH. In fact, you can't really control the pH of most of your bodily fluids, particularly blood and extracellular fluid. Urine is one exception, and this is the very reason why the "remedies" sold by the pH fetishists appear to work. For example, dairy products, eggs, and foods with a lot of protein, like meats, will indeed acidify your urine, mainly because the kidneys will secrete the excess acid that is generated when the excess protein is broken down. Your blood pH changes minimally if at all. For a more detailed discussion of the mechanisms controlling your body's acid-base balance, go here, here and here.

The bottom line is that, in the absence of renal and lung disease, the homeostatic mechanisms controlling the pH of your blood are incredibly robust and tightly regulated."

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...e_or_woo_1.php

grandma is offline Member

@Au thanks. I have been seeing a lot of alkaline body comments here lately and I was wondering if that was really something that could be controlled by diet. I'm guessing that it can't. It would stand to reason that a healthy body would have a very closely regulated pH.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Great comments and observations, GWG!

This is an example of how great scientists can fall down. Cordain, after all his work proving a paleolithic diet heavy on the animal, thank you, is best, he goes off into la-la land about acid/base regulation, metabolic acidosis, and smothering your steak in CANOLA oil BEFORE cooking it!

OTB - well, I can only take credit for finding the article on the second comment

Canola oil - yuck.

Really good info right there... thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast