Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big slab of frozen liver - what to do with? page

ittybitty is offline Member

Big slab of frozen liver - what to do with?

Primal Fuel
    I have a more than 1lb package of grassfed beef liver in the freezer. I don't think I can eat that much liver in a week! I read that you're not supposed to refreeze raw food after thawing...so is it ok to cook it all and then freeze some of it?

And how do you cut up/cook liver properly? My aunt was the only person I knew who made liver, but I think she always overcooked it 'cause it was a bit dry and yuck-textured.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I've thawed and refrozen stuff no problems. I think the issue is if it sits around at warmer temperatures, nasties get a chance to grow that might not if it were cooked right away. Liver thaws fast, so I'd just keep an eye on it, and refreeze what you don't want to use.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you can cook it and refreeze it once cooked.

The secret to tender liver is not overcooking it. I have always cooked my liver by dredging and pan-frying. Because I'm doing a Whole 30, I experimented with almond meal, S&P for dredging this past week. It worked OK, although it tended to crisp up and fall off the liver. However you dredge it, have your frying pan hot with fat in it (I used bacon fat). Not a huge amount, a couple of tablespoons at most. Drop in the liver - it should sizzle immediately. Cook without disturbing for only a minute or two, depending on the thickness of your liver slices., flip over for only another minute or two, then put on your plate and eat. Can be a wee bit pink in the middle - extra tender that way. The rest of your dinner should be pretty much ready to eat before you start cooking liver.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Just salt it to preserve it.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that you need to let something coated in almond meal rest for ten minutes before frying.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I live alone, so I often cook my 'slab' of liver and re-freeze in portions for later meals. I prefer bison liver because it has a milder taste than grass-fed beef liver, but either works. Here's how I make it:

First, if it's in 'slab' form (mine is), slice it into serving size pieces (this is easiest to do when it's still slightly frozen).

If you eat onions, slice a couple of onions an saute in the fat of your choice (I always use EVOO).

Then saute your liver slices, being sure NOT to overcook. As the liver is cooking, pour about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vinegar into the pan--yes, vinegar. I tend to use ACV but wine vinegar works just as well. The liver slices should take no more than a couple of minutes.

Then I refreeze whatever I'm not going to eat that day.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Vinegar? Interesting....Doesn't it make the liver sour?
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    ....if vinegar makes the liver not taste of liver, then I'm up for trying this!

badger is offline Member
    We cube some and put it in beef stew. We grate some up and mix it in with tacos and meat loaf. My kids love it dreged in coconut flour and cooked in coconut oil.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I was talking to a guy who runs a great restaurant about meat and he says to use vinegar with liver also. I don't know how it changes the taste..maybe less metallic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast