Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SNAFU: Charlie Golf's Primal Journal page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

SNAFU: Charlie Golf's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    I was introduced to the PB almost a year ago and have since tried to incorporate the Primal/Paleo WOE into my life however I can. My philosophy on exercise has changed a lot and I am definitely having more fun. I had interesting and positive changes in blood chemistry and can see a difference in body composition when I look in the mirror. On the body comp side of things, interestingly I originally checked in here with a caliper BF% of about 14.5% and have since learned that was way off!

I just had a BodPod test done today, which is supposed to be as accurate as hydrostatic testing and it came back at a disappointing 22.6%!!! Still, I do look better in the mirror and am down 10 lbs from when I started this journey.

Lately I've fallen off the wagon as far as nutrition is concerned and I feel like it keeps circling back to run me over a few times so decided to step it up and take on my own personal 30-day Paleo Challenge. We are headed to Maui in exactly 1 month so I figure it would be a nice culmination for my efforts in the short-term as well as a fun place to relax and play as a reward. A little accountability is a good thing so I've also decided to start a journal here. Not sure if this will be a long-term effort (the journal that is) but it has worked very well with my workouts so here goes nothing!

April 14, 2011 (Day 1):
    Had to be at work at 0500 so I was up at 0330 after a late night to bed...ugh. Flew to NYC then a DH back so was able to sleep a little on the return flight home. Listened to the Robb Wolf's Paleolithic Solution Podcast and spent the rest of the day relaxing.

Primal Movement:
    Move slowly
    1:15 of warm Ashtanga Yoga.

Primal Fuel:
    B: Omelette with 3 whole eggs, some feta, spinach, tomato and green onion, coffee with half/half and 1 pack of Turbinado

L: 1 tin of sardines, about 10 olives, 1 tsp of coconut milk

D: 2 pork ribs, 1 chicken thigh and leg with skin, 1 cup brussel sprouts, 1/2 cup cauliflower, 1/2 cup broccoli

S: 1 apple, 1 handful of pistachios

LoseIt:
    1700 calories
    59% fat
    16% carb
    24% protein
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 04-28-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Day 2

April 15, 2011 (Day 2):
    I was off today so had time to go to the gym and just hang out. A buddy and I went and got the BodPod measurement mentioned above. It required a 4-hour fast prior and then we gorged at a Mediterranean buffet (listed below). I got really tired afterwards and have remained so ever since. Even though "officially" started yesterday I had been gearing up for a few days prior so I think I'm already experiencing some low-carb drag.

Primal Movement:
    Lift Heavy Things
    5x5
    Back Squats, Bench Press, Row, Weighted Dips, Hypers
    PRs on squats and bench

Primal Fuel:
    B: 3 eggs fried in 1/2 T bacon grease, 1 cup mixed berries with 1/8 cu coconut milk

L: 1 cup cucumber salad, 1 cup Greek salad with EVOO and balsamic, 1 cup Lebanese cabbage salad, 1 cup baba ganough, 3-4 oz ground beef kafta kabob, 2 meatballs, 1 chicken leg w/skin, 1 fish fillet, 3 falafel balls (legume...), 1 grape leaf (probably 1.5-2 T of rice)

D: Iceberg wedge salad with commercial blue cheese dressing and real bacon crumbles, 8 oz smoked sirloin w/fat, 3/4 cup creamed spinach

S: 12 oz coconut water, 2 T Flax oil

LoseIt:
    2830 calories
    63% fat
    12% carb
    25% protein
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 04-28-2011 at 07:11 AM.

April 16, 2011 (Day 3):
    Today I was back to work (travelling) so I was interested to see how I would do. Planned to just veg in my layover hotel but a buddy told me of a place that was on Man Vs. Food so I took a stroll to check it out for lunch. I felt like Grok searching out a meal and got to see parts of the city I was in most probably wouldn't venture in to .

Primal Movement:
    Move slowly
    Walked 7 miles round-trip (in VFFs) separated by lunch.

Primal Fuel:
    B: "Prepared" scrambled eggs, 5 slices of bacon, medium apple

L: ~11 oz of crawfish tail meat*, 1 small potato, 1/2 ear of corn

D: Ahi tuna (about 3.5 oz) salad with about 1/4 cup EVOO dressing, anchovies, tomato, cucumber, butter lettuce, celery, onion and hard boiled egg.

S: Handful of mac nuts

LoseIt:
    2110 calories
    52% fat
    15% carb
    33% protein
    *The crawfish at lunch had a butter seasoning but I didn't really account for it so my fat content was probably a little higher than recorded.
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 04-28-2011 at 07:12 AM.

April 17, 2011 (Day 4):
    Easy day today but with an early (alarm-clock) induced wakeup. Didn't sleep really well last night but it was mostly due to being in a hotel room with noise in the halls, lots of lights on stuff in room and heavy bed covers (hot!). Had two flights today and then have spent the rest just relaxing -- lower body a little tired from yesterday's trek.

Primal Movement:
    Nuthin'! Just chilled.

Primal Fuel:
    B: 3 hard-boiled eggs and about 1.5 cups of mixed blackberries and raspberries, green tea

L: About 3 oz fajita meat, 3 oz chicken breast, 1/3 cup guacamole and about 1.5 cups of lettuce with pico de gallo on it.

D: 6 oz roasted salmon, asparagus, spinach salad with EVOO and balsamic

S: 1 handful of hazelnuts and 1/2 oz jerky

LoseIt:
    1470 calories
    55% fat
    13% carb
    32% protein

I know I should probably be eating more but have eaten to satiety each day so don't really know...

April 18, 2011 (Day 5):
    Another day jetting about the country. Was kind of pooped when we got the layover but made myself work out and felt much better afterwards.
    Yesterday, I felt a little sluggish but I felt really well comparatively today aside from the alarm-clock induced wakeup...and I was sleeping like a baby when it went off!

Primal Movement:
    Did my first CrossFit WOD
    3 rounds for time -
    100M run
    50 pushups
    100M run
    50 situps
    100M run
    50 squats
    100M run
    50 supermans

I ended up scaling back to 25 reps on each exercise after the first round, primarily because I suck at situps. I wrapped it up in about 22 minutes and was seriously sucking wind!

Primal Fuel:
    B: 3 eggs fried in a olive/canola oil mixture (airport restaurant), 4 slices of bacon

L: ~6 oz catfish, about 25 boiled shrimp, broccoli, green beans, Greek salad with EVOO

D: ~6 oz skirt steak with chimichurri (EVOO based), salad with olive oil dressing, broccoli

S: handful of pumpkin seeds, a tin of sardines, and some coconut water post-workout

LoseIt:
    2200 calories
    62% fat
    7% carb
    31% protein

April 19, 2011 (Day 6):
    Flew all day today from an early get-up until evening. Today was essentially a rest day.

Primal Motion:
    I walked though the terminal in search of food LOL.

Primal Fuel:
    B: 3 egg omelete with spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and crumbled bacon, 1 banana

L: BBQ turkey breast, brisket, spinach & romaine salad with EVOO and black olives

D: Chili with beef (no beans), BBQ pork spareribs, broccoli

S: Mac nuts, jerky

LoseIt:
    2230 calories
    58% fat
    16% carb
    26% protein
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 04-28-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Week 1 in the books

April 20, 2011 (Day 7):
    Week 1 down! Was off today so had the opportunity to sleep in and then mostly just do stuff I needed to do today. I still feel like I'm not always eating enough, but I am eating to satiety. In fact, my dinner tonight was broken in two parts because initally I felt like I could eat more so I did and was satified after. Also, am in mild ketosis.

Hardest thing I've dealth with so far is the fact I have to eat out a lot and not always sure of ingredients or if wait staff actually pays attention or GAS about special requests.

Primal Motion:
    Lift Heavy Things
    5x5
    DL, OHP, weighted chinups, kipping pullups, DB post-delt flyes

Primal Fuel:
    B: Primal hot "cereal" with almonds, mac nuts, coconut milk and banana

L: Salmon, spinach, squash

D: Crawfish tails, grilled salmon, grilled asparagus, and two chicken wings (random, I know)

S; Coconut milk

LoseIt:
    1950 calories
    55% fat
    11% carb
    34% protein

April 21, 2011 (Day 8):
    Another day off. Stayed up kind of late but slept in and well. Headed to a farm today that has grass-fed beef, free-range chickens/eggs, and raw dairy. Definitely gonna make regular stops there. Hung out by the pool a bit and soaked up some vitamin D. Picked up some liquid fish oil so I don't have to gulp down rediculous numbers of capsules all the time.

Primal Motion:
    1:15 Warm Ashtanga Yoga

Primal Fuel:
    B: 3 eggs, bacon, raspberries with coconut milk

L: 1/2 rotisserie chicken, BAS with EVOO, coconut water

D: Grass-fed NY strip, root veggies roasted in wild goose fat

S: Jerky

LoseIt:
    2460 calories
    52% fat
    15% carb
    33% protein

April 22, 2011 (Day 9):
    I didn't have to go to work until later in the evening today so was able to go lift and do some stuff around the house. I sort of "bonked" after my squat sets during my workout and stalled on my bench press. Also, kinda slept like crap the night before -- I slept soundly, just not enough (about 6 hours). Wondering if both have to do with my body "resetting" it's fuel source.

Towards the end of the day I really started to get tired and could feel my workout, especially in my arse and legs. Of course, it WAS the most I've ever squatted in my life so...

Primal Motion:
    Lift Heavy Things
    5x5
    Squat, Bench, Row, Hypers, Dips

Primal Fuel:
    B: Chicken breast and radish stir fry with sesame oil and 2 eggs

L: Meatloaf and asparagus

D: Skirt steak, guacamole and pico de gallo

S: Tin of Kipper snacks and a handful of hazelnuts

LoseIt:
    2270 calories
    60% fat
    12% carb
    28% protein

April 23, 2011 (Day 10):
    It's hard to believe I'm already 1/3 of the way through...this actually has been, dare I say "easy." It's actually a little motivational and think it will probably continue naturally even beyond our trip to Hawaii.

Over the last two days I kicked my fish oil dosage up and think I got it a little too high because I've had a headache, and gut issues all day long. Gonna back off definitely. FWIW, I used Robb Wolf's calculator on whole9life.com and got a little too aggressive on the factor I used. I've also read in a few other locations that he has somewhat backed off that position on mega-dosing with the exception of those who are really sick -- kinda think they should update that calculator though.

Today was a work day and we had a short scheduled layover last night. Slept as soon as I hit the hotel room but still it was only a little over 6 hours of sleep...but don't worry folks, those people hauling your ass around in that shiny aluminum tube in that rarified, freezing air are wellllllll rested

Primal Motion:
    Nada

Primal Fuel:
    B: 3 hard boiled eggs, some bacon, some lox and some blueberries

L: Chicken breast fajitas, guacamole

D: Salad with EVOO, NY Strip, sauteed spinach, carrots, asparagus

S: Pumpkin seeds and a PaleoKrunch (a bit of a cheat b/c it has honey in it)

LoseIt:
    2730 calories
    62% fat
    12% carb
    26% protein
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 04-28-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast