View Poll Results: What is the Optimal Number of Medium-Sized Eggs per Week?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 Eggs

0 0%
  • 1-9 Eggs

2 1.85%
  • 10-19 Eggs

46 42.59%
  • 20-29 Eggs

26 24.07%
  • 30-39 Eggs

11 10.19%
  • 40-49 Eggs

4 3.70%
  • 50+ Eggs!

19 17.59%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Eggs is Too Many? page

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member

How Many Eggs is Too Many?

I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer in Central America. I've been primal for 4 months with great results. However, I have about 100 dollars per month to budget for food.

Where I live, meat is very expensive. Tortilla, beans, and rice make up the vast majority of the local diet, with the country ranking in top 5 for malnutrition. For the cost of one pound of meat (beef or pork), you can buy about 5-10 pounds of vegetables. However, for the cost of one pound of meat, you can buy 15 eggs! So, naturally I eat a ton of eggs, about 45-50 per week. I usually just fry them in fresh lard from my neighborhood butcher with salt, pepper, and a few veggies.

My questions:

1) How many eggs is too many?

2) I eat chicken, pork, or beef at least once per day, but it is very expensive. I also have limited cooking apparatuses. Any suggestions for how I can keep my food budget under control given my limitations in Central America?

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    I figure if I actually lay an egg from eating too many... I may start cutting back.

My wife and I go thru about 2 dozen a week.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I go through two dozen on my own per week. I eat about 5-6 per day, 5-6 days per week. My cardiologist hates me.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I go through two dozen on my own per week. I eat about 5-6 per day, 5-6 days per week. My cardiologist hates me.
    Same here, except I'm pretty sure your cardiologist doesn't hate me.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    From a cholesterol pov, I don't think there is such a thing as too many. From a human pov, I'd suggest foregoing eggs SOMEtimes, because if you're anything like me, I get sick of them, and have to quit eating them for a time. That being said, I love eggs, and we go through about 2 doz/week.

As for budgeting meat, I'd stick to strict portion sizes. Basically, don't eat more than 4-6 oz at a time. That's what we do here. And find out what cuts are cheapest, and stick to them. If you have leftovers, chop the meat into tiny bits to add to eggs, salads, and soups.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Now the poll question and the title dont really match. I have never eaten 50 eggs myself in a week ("nobody can eat 50 eggs" )

How many is too many? No such thing
    How many is OPTIMUM? ummmm...well I guess no such thing but for me 20-29 (3 for breakfast everyday + usually at least 5 more on salads or eggs for dinner)
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    According to Cool Hand Luke the correct answer would be fifty eggs.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i went with 40-49, which is perhaps a bit more than i usually have (though, my eggs are bigger than mediums)...not because i think more than that is too many, but because i think it's good to have something else once in a while.

bravo to you for being a peace corps volunteer. i'd love to do that.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    According to Cool Hand Luke the correct answer would be fifty eggs.
    LOL! I love that movie; but I always have to drink something while he's eating those eggs.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    50+, As soon as I work it into my budget. Oh and has anyone noticed that Gaston is the coolest character in beauty and the beast?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast