Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with strength-training/sprints/fitness questions? page

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!

Help with strength-training/sprints/fitness questions?

Primal Fuel
    Helloo, I have a few questions regarding fitness. Currently the only stuff I do is yoga, several times a week. It counts towards some strength training (bodyweight lifting/type stuff) and the low level aerobic activity. However- I have feeling I should add more strength/weight training? I have a gym in my building that's pretty well equipped. I am a small girl and I do NOT want to bulk up. I need to lose fat as my current body fat % is like 26 or 28, I don't remember but it sucks. Also, what exactly do the "sprints" consist of? Say it's on the treadmill: would that be 15 mins of running as fast as I can?

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Best way to learn about the Primal Blueprint fitness is to download the free e-book. It's a wealth of information.
    Good luck!

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    You won't bulk up!! Trust me. Last year I was just like you, only doing yoga for my exercise (which really is a combo of bodyweight, flexibility and cardio depending on the style) and eating little and miserable. I may have weighed a few less pounds on the scale, but I was only a small version of myself. Incorporating weights/sprints has been amazing. Combined w/eating I was able to lower my body fat and actually see changes in my body.

Sprints are quick bursts of energy so 15 mins is def not a sprint, more like 15-45 second spurts with 90 second recovery. I agree, buy the book, and good luck!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanyayogi View Post
    Helloo, I have a few questions regarding fitness. Currently the only stuff I do is yoga, several times a week. It counts towards some strength training (bodyweight lifting/type stuff) and the low level aerobic activity. However- I have feeling I should add more strength/weight training? I have a gym in my building that's pretty well equipped. I am a small girl and I do NOT want to bulk up. I need to lose fat as my current body fat % is like 26 or 28, I don't remember but it sucks. Also, what exactly do the "sprints" consist of? Say it's on the treadmill: would that be 15 mins of running as fast as I can?

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    OK the video was super helpful, thanks! I get it now - low-carb diet, and PB lifestyle + fitness will do the trick with that.
    I still don't FULLY understand the sprint thing - especially b/c at the end he said to do 2-3 super intense weight training work outs? Please help..

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Also, what exactly do the "sprints" consist of? Say it's on the treadmill: would that be 15 mins of running as fast as I can?
    Sprints are much shorter than 15 minutes! Check out this post on high intensity interval training. You might want to have a look at some of the other stuff on my blog, too. Best of luck!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Sprints are much shorter than 15 minutes! Check out this post on high intensity interval training. You might want to have a look at some of the other stuff on my blog, too. Best of luck!
    Haha sorry I think I meant like 15 mins of HIIT like, run super speedily 30 secs, rest 30 secs, repeat until you're done?

UPDATE: just read your blog article, haha thanks! Very helpful. 1x/week is the recommended, right?

Also - what heart rates are we talking here? Like 80% or more at the sprinty thing and like 50% at rest?

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Also - what heart rates are we talking here? Like 80% or more at the sprinty thing and like 50% at rest?
    You don't have to pay all that much attention to heart rate - just run hard. Though 80% doesn't sound too intense. If you are wearing a HRM, you should probably try to push it to 90-95%.

Maybe not your first time though.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

You don't have to pay all that much attention to heart rate - just run hard. Though 80% doesn't sound too intense. If you are wearing a HRM, you should probably try to push it to 90-95%.

Maybe not your first time though.
    No, I've done it before but for longer intervals (1-3 mins each). Also varsity soccer is basically one EXTRA long HIIT! Thanks for the advice though So it's 5 mins warm up, then about 15-20 mins of intervals and 5-10 min cool down + stretching?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast