Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use as shampoo? page

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I was just curious to know whether people here have a less chemical laden method of washing hair. Regular store brought stuff tend to be full of unpronounceable words. Does anyone use their own concoctions? A brand that's friendly to mother nature?

klcarbaugh Guest

Oh, I have always wanted to try soapnuts. Someone on this site pointed out this webpage that had lots of good, pure products (many are 1 ingredient):

http://www.akamuti.co.uk

Milo is offline Junior Member

groquette is offline Senior Member

I've been experimenting, and for the past year I've been using a mild soap (shower gel) in my hair a couple times a week. I also use conditioner regularly.

I have tried baking powder and vinegar and stuff, and it was too messy and too much of a hassle. Also, I didn't like smelling like fish and chips until my head dried.

I like sweet smelling stuff that is easy to apply better.

I'm not so much into the hippy thing (no offense), it just seemed to me that it would be possible to have healthy, beautiful hair without shelling out so much for chemicals.

Eating fat has done much more for my hair than anything else, so far.

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

I don't really wash my hair that much anyway. I get really bad eczema so tend to avoid soaps.

I can imagine that one would probably get over mixing the baking soda and water up... I might try it to see if I can train myself to just not use shampoo. And think of the money I'd save! I get really sweaty though, enough for my hair to drip as if I'd just dunk my hair in water, so not sure if I want to smell as if I don't shampoo my hair..

I probably won't use the conditioning step, I'd much rather try an oil of some sort. In fact, I remember my mum doing stuff like that to me... I think once she tried olive oil... another time beer... that memory still makes me laugh.

But in the end, I am rather lazy and would probably just buy something pricy but with less chemicals. Must going shopping this weekend. =D

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

IMHO, it's much more important what you eat, than what you put on your hair.

I work out and get amazingly sweaty, three or four times per week. If I didn't use shampoo, I would feel skanky and gross (I have long hair).

So I shampoo with Fructis, then use Coconut Oil on the ends. It works great, and smells terrific.

groquette is offline Senior Member

wug, the problem with doing the baking soda without finishing off with vinegar is that it's REALLY hard to rinse it all out. The vinegar seems to help get every little bit out of your hair (see the bit about the chemical reaction), and for some reason vinegar seems to smooth the hair down and make it shiny.

That said, I still think it's too much hassle

wrinkledamanda is offline Junior Member

I use Burt's Bees Super Shiny grapefruit and honey conditioner. It's the only thing that makes it really nice, and I even dye it black every few months. I rarely brush my hair, even when it was long, and this stuff is good for me and the environment. So yay! I do want to try this stuff, though: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/shampoo/index.html I can't help it, even when I know what I like and what works, I still buy tons of soap and stuff!

JamieBelle is offline Member

I use Redken products on my hair. I wash it only twice a week, sometimes three times.

jojocircus Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I just started using solid shampoo from Lush. It has some chemicals but most of the ingredients are natural. They list the ingredients on their website. The shampoo is a small disc and it's supposed to last as long as three bottles. I love the way it makes my hair feel and smell plus it's great for traveling and carry-on bags.

http://www.lush.com/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast