Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What do you use as shampoo? page 4

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Oh.. so many options... now I am confused!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

@Milo, how long did it take for your scalp to adjust? I tried apple cider vinegar and it didn't really *do* much, just was a pain in the ass (hard to put in, hard to get out)...Do you dye your hair at all?

Milo is offline Junior Member

There was no adjustment period at all! My hair used to be really limp and oily by the end of the day, and after the very first time I no-pooed, I noticed my hair was neither of those. When I used shampoo, I couldn't go more than a full day without washing it, or I looked like a greaseball. Now I can go days without washing it (although I do try to shower every day, using the baking soda every other day, and the vinegar every day).

Re: baking soda and coconut oil...I don't know because I have yet to use coconut oil in my hair. One of these days I will try though. I currently use coconut oil as my moisturizer, and I've gotten several people hooked on it.

And yes, I dye my hair either red or brown once every other month or so.

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

@crunchysue Thanks for that site, I've been looking up all sorts of stuff on it!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I tried the "no-poo" routine tonight...1 cup water with 1 tbs baking soda dumped on my head and massaged in, rinsed, then 1 cup water with 1 tbs apple cider vinegar dumped on my head and rinsed really well with cold water. My hair and scalp look great! I'm surprised...hopefully I won't go through a "transitional" period either..!

Do you find it's not so great when you dye your hair though? I'm thinking that hair dye "upsets" your scalps natural oil system with all of those chemicals...I've tried the more "natural" hair dyes, but they don't really do much. One box of very blonde dye actually made my hair DARKER (go figure, right?)

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I've been using only water for the past 8 months. I do have incredibly short hair. But, still....

John Durant has been poo free for over a month. He has A LOT of hair...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post

Do you find it's not so great when you dye your hair though? I'm thinking that hair dye "upsets" your scalps natural oil system with all of those chemicals...I've tried the more "natural" hair dyes, but they don't really do much. One box of very blonde dye actually made my hair DARKER (go figure, right?)
    I do hair for a living and I No Poo lots of my clients as well as my self. I have found that it is way better for your hair color than regular shampoo. No breakage or fade... it is amazing!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
    Dr. Bronner's Almond Oil Castile soap.
    Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    I use a mixture of 1 egg, 1-2 tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 tbs honey and maybe 1 tbs lemon juice. Works very well for my slightly greasy hair. Only have to wash it once or twice a week.

I know some people use bicarbonate of soda to wash with and apple cider vinegar as a rinse, but that seems to work better for those who haven't got greasy hair. It sure doesn't work for me. I just end up with extremely greasy hair!
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    i love Giovanni organic hair products. they're organic, and low in the "bad stuff" but they also actually WORK (unlike a lot of other organic hair care products *cough* aubrey organics *cough*). if you want to compare different body care products on the basis of what kind of junk is in them, check out EWG's cosmetic database.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast