Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use as shampoo? page 3

crunchysue Guest

Primal Fuel

Here's a great site that tells you what hazards are associated with tons of different cosmetics (which includes shampoo, deoderant, soap, etc.): http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I too, use no poo. Apple cider vinegar, occasionally a baking soda coconut oil paste for scrubbing. I also have dreadlocks so it's gentler on my precious knots as well.

I use soapnuts to wash my clothes and dr bronners tea tree oil soap for dishes and everything else.

@mrd, it's probably BECAUSE you're washing your hair everyday that it's getting greasy. Washing everyday strips your hair and skin of it's natural oils. Then your body has a reaction, "Oh! Not enough oil! PRODUCE MORE!" Then you say it's too greasy so you wash it again, thus setting up the cycle. Try going a while without washing then set up a new cycle with a milder shampoo bar (yeah, I checked out lush and the first ingredient was SLS, not something I'd put on my skin, as it's a very drying agent).

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I make my own shampoo bars & wash my hair about once a week in the winter; more in the summer.

Milo is offline Junior Member

I don't understand all the hatin' on no-poo. I don't find it to be a hassle at all, and the vinegar smell dissipates after you step out of the shower. (For the best results, you shouldn't even be rinsing the vinegar out at all!)

My hair used to get really oily if I didn't wash it everyday, and now I can go 2-3 days without washing and it looks fine. I only need to use the baking soda every other day, and I use the vinegar rinse every day.

It's seriously the best thing that has ever happened to my hair...my hair is stronger and shinier, and I'm saving money to boot. Don't knock it til you try it!

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

milo, can you give a newbie no-pooer some guidlines about how to do the soda-vinegar thing. how much to use, do you mix it with water first etc...

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Hey, baking soda makes your hair very brittle. I used it for a while..

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

P_P... whoa now...I workout most every day, usually 5x per week which is why I wash my hair daily. I suppose I could skip that, but BO isn&#39;t something I want to rock on a daily basis. I don&#39;t have issues with hair damage or shine. I have extremely thick hair. If I leave it for several days, which I have while camping, it becomes so shiny and heavy it&#39;s difficult to style. Maybe grease is not the right word? Because beauticians complement the health of my hair all the time. Some people do have hair and scalp that is, by ethnicity, naturally oilier than others.

SLS or no, the Lush bar has been the best I&#39;ve found so far that&#39;s dimethicone-free that clarifies without drying. My second favorite, a biotin-based SLS-free shampoo is a little too heavy (moisturizing) for daily use.

Other than that, my skin is pretty fantastic as long as I&#39;m eating a healthy dose of daily fat. I don&#39;t have to wear much makeup these days. Just a bit of concealer to cover two scars under my eyes and a bit of foundation to even out some redness in my cheeks. My makeup isn&#39;t the natural stuff. The mineral foundations I&#39;ve tried are basically a waste of money. Viva la Smashbox.

I&#39;m a girl and like beauty products. So sue me.

Milo is offline Junior Member

@Eva:

I follow these instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/

My only tweak is that I don&#39;t do a final water rinse, I leave the vinegar rinse in my hair.

maba is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the link Milo. Do you know if baking soda will remove the coconut oil grease from my hair? I usually oil it before washing.

PrimalCon New York

I try to go &#39;natural&#39; when possible, but I am so busy that even cooking &#39;primally&#39; is tough. I just use whatever gives my flat hair volume.

I do love the the coconut oil &#39;hot-oil&#39; treatment, but I&#39;ve never had a problem &#39;washing&#39; it out of my hair....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast