Thread: Can ox tongue be cold pressed after a couple of days? page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Can ox tongue be cold pressed after a couple of days?

Primal Fuel
    I have an ox tongue simmering on the hob as I write. It's a LOT bigger than I was expecting.

Will it still be suitable for cold-pressing after a couple of days? I don't have the ingredients at the moment, but do like the ox tongue from the deli counter which I assume is the same.

Anyone want to help eat the bloody thing?! Can it be frozen as with other cooked meats? Don't care about the quality after freezing, just so long as it won't kill me.

Hmmmm. This thing is unpalatably salty. It came pre-packed in brine, but the butcher didn't mention soaking it, I just put it straight in to simmer.

Is there any way of rescuing it?

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Can you explain cold-pressing? I grew up in Colombia, where beef tongue was a common dish. I assume the shelf life is the same as any other meat. I would cut it in half and freeze the excess.

This thing is so salty, I doubt it would freeze

I need to know if it can be de-salted, or it'll have to be thrown away, it's as good as inedible at the moment. Cost me 20 too.

I think my mistake was I putting the brine into the pot with it, thinking that would give it extra flavour.

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    You could try just leaving it in plain water for a few hours. It might work to draw the salt out. It doesn't sound like you're eating it anyway.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Doddibot View Post
    You could try just leaving it in plain water for a few hours. It might work to draw the salt out. It doesn't sound like you're eating it anyway.
    Good call! I have nothing to lose!