Thread: recommended reading: The Gnoll Credo page

ultramega is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up recommended reading: The Gnoll Credo

Shop Now
    I recommend J. Stanton's novel, "The Gnoll Credo," to any primal folks who are also fans of Fantasy fiction. It shines a light on the "monsters" point-of-view in a low fantasy setting and carries some very primal concepts throughout the story.

Some people on this forum have asked what name you could call the prototypical female Grok, and I would nominate the name, "Gryka." If you read the story, you'll understand why (even though Gryka isn't human).

You can read a preview of the book on the website: thegnollcredo.com

I am also a fan of the author's primal-friendly blog: gnolls.org, which has been linked here before.

Shout out to J. Stanton since I've seen him on this forum before, too. Die biting the throat.

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    I read it also and recommend it.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    It's been nearly a year since this thread started, and TGC has accumulated quite a fan base in the meantime...so I figured I'd bump this up with a review.

"The insights Stanton presents (via Gryka) are the most scathing yet beautiful critiques of “civilized” humanity that I have ever seen.
    This novel made me reconsider my lifestyle and make serious, long-term changes which have brought nothing but positive results. That is the sign of a truly powerful book.

In reading this novel, you will see the names of fictional characters and places, but you are not reading about them. You are reading about yourself.

My conclusion: must read."
    "The Gnoll Credo" - Book Review

More to come...

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I've wanted to read this for a while.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I've wanted to read this for a while.
    Do it. Great book. I've been meaning to re-read it for a while, which I should do soon too...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Uncephalized: thanks for the support!

TGC bears re-reading. It's short, intense, and dense with information and meaning. Not because it's obscure or difficult...but because I didn't feel the need to beat the reader over the head again and again with my Profound Insights (I'm looking at you, Daniel Quinn).

It's Gryka's story, and my task was to write it as clearly, plainly, and succinctly as possible. It's for you, my readers, to discover what it means.

In support of this contention, here's another excellent review from one of the longest-running paleo bloggers out there: Asclepius, of Natural Messiah.

"…Somewhere between an anarcho-survivalist manifesto and Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’. Perhaps even with a whiff of ‘V for Vendetta’ spliced with Avatar.
    [...]
    The swift one-two of the plot and the pace in general have left me thinking that there is much more in there that I missed the first time. It is hard to classify and difficult to describe but it is a truly engaging work!

Recommended!"
    -Die Biting The Throat: Review of The Gnoll Credo

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    Uncephalized: thanks for the support!
    Anytime!

I would also encourage anyone interested in sciencey-evolutioney stuff to check out Gnolls.org, too.

JS, when my copy of TGC showed up I read it while ripping through a rack of barely-cooked beef short ribs with my hands, grease running gloriously down my chin. Some of the pages are all greasy and it reminds me of my mental state at the time. It made me want to go be a hyena (or, rather, a proper human being!)
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I would also encourage anyone interested in sciencey-evolutioney stuff to check out Gnolls.org, too.
    Appreciate the plug! I do my best to keep gnolls.org a drama-free zone, where we can all work to increase our knowledge of evolutionary discordance and what we can do about it.

New readers should note that I keep an index of important articles, so it's easy to browse them by subject and find the information you're looking for. Gnolls.org is all about information density.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    JS, when my copy of TGC showed up I read it while ripping through a rack of barely-cooked beef short ribs with my hands, grease running gloriously down my chin. Some of the pages are all greasy and it reminds me of my mental state at the time. It made me want to go be a hyena (or, rather, a proper human being!)
    Excellent! That's a beautifully appropriate way to read it (and I love short ribs, too.) I hope Gryka's story will continue to inspire and motivate you.