Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almond cheese page

WolfGirl is offline Junior Member

Almond cheese

Primal Fuel
    I'm wondering what people think of those vegan almond cheeses. I've used it on occasion to top dishes, although the texture isn't very cheese-like and it doesn't melt that great. It does have casein so it's not completely dairy-free, canola oil and brown rice flour so it's not exactly primal. It does get me through a crunch though, when I really want cheese without doing dairy (dairy is a slippery slope for me, once I have a bit I crave it all the time like crazy. Almond cheese doesn't do that to me).

What do you guys think? Is is better to do dairy or indulge once in a while with almond cheese?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Just eat dairy, avoid those frankenfoods like the plague.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Paleobird Guest
    Not everybody can eat dairy and I think almond cheese is a viable alternative once in a while. It is no more a frankenfood than regular cheese. And not all brands have rice and casein in them.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    As someone who was a vegan for about eight months, I can say that I never found a non-dairy cheese that was worth my money. (And I tried the almond cheese -- I remember it being particularly terrible.)

Daiya was as close to edible as any brand got. Sorry.

Paleobird Guest
    The tofu ones are gross but there is a brand of almond cheese they sell at Henry's that actually is tasty.

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    Are you trying to lose weight? I am, and I think that even though it's pretty low carb, it's got the rice flour... not worth it to me. I wonder if you couldn't invent a way to make your own....
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

Paleobird Guest
    Almond cheese has the same drawbacks as eating a whole bowl of almonds. Not optimal for weight loss.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Almond "cheese" is no more a frankenfood than regular cheese? Uh, I can make regular cheese in my kitchen from raw milk and tools I already own. Ingredients: Milk, salt.
    Almond "cheese" is factory food, pure and simple. I'm on the side of dairy > factory food. The reason it doesn't set off dairy cravings is probably that it's gross. I'm not about to try it though. Almond CHEESE? That should not be allowed as a marketing slogan any more than soy "milk" - it should be called "solidified food substance consisting largely of almonds and rice bran"

Paleobird Guest
    Jeeze. Lighten up folks. Nobody was advocating eating it 3 times a day. Once in a while, for dairy intolerant people it's not that big a deal IMO.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Jeeze. Lighten up folks. Nobody was advocating eating it 3 times a day. Once in a while, for dairy intolerant people it's not that big a deal IMO.
    Point taken. I just have a bee in my bonnet about foods called "cheese" "sausage" and "milk" that are not actually anything of the sort. Truth in labeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast