Thread: Did I just accidently make the mythical yogurt cheese? page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shop Now

So, I'm experimenting with this high protein diet, the protein keeping me not hungry AND having a 25% TEF. Most of our high protein foods, like meat, have roughly equal calories of protein and fat. Exceptions are things like turkey breast, most seafood, etc. I'm therefore seeking low fat, high protein foods, the fats adding calories I don't want at this time. I can always add them easily when I want to.

I decided to make no-fat yogurt, all protein. I've read that "cooking" the yogurt for a longer time means most or all of the lactose gets turned into lactic acid, which is no longer a sugar, obviously. So I did that.

I kept this going about 13 hours. There was a fair amount of whey on the top. I poured it off and started to ladle out the yogurt. Whoa........ It's stringy like string cheese! In the removal and further straining, it muddled somewhat, and the end result is almost exactly like damp bread dough in appearance!

I got 31 ounces from the gallon. It tastes fine, not as acidic as yogurt, the opposite of what I would have expected. I presume at this point that it is almost all casein.

What say you?

UPDATE ALREADY: I just did searching on "yogurt cheese" and everyone I looked at is describing Greek style yogurt.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

OTB:

Sounds really good. If you were to wrap it in a piece of "cheesecloth" (imagine that), you could probably squeeze enough whey out of it for it to become sliceable, if that is what you would like.

Bet it would be wicked good in a salad, or with sliced tomatoes.

maba is offline Senior Member

AFAIK, yoghurt cheese is strained yoghurt, w/ water content less than Greek yoghurt, and possibly made w/ tangy yoghurt.

grandma is offline Member

I think you make cheese. Yogurt cheese in my experience is just strained yogurt, it comes out sort of like cream cheese. What you describe sounds sort of like paneer, which is made by adding and acid to hot milk to form curds. I think if you were to continue to cook paneer, you would end up with something that resembled fondue, which is what it sounds like you have. The lack of acidic taste to me says that it didn't make yogurt. Could it be that the milk was too hot and you killed the starter, but the acid in the starter made cheese?

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

1. Great ideas, kuno! Yes, it IS like fresh mozzarella, spoon cutable even though still weeping whey.

2. Interesting thought, SG. Yes, distinctly possible as to too high a temp, although it never hit 120 degrees per digital lab thermometer. But it did get close. Perhaps it's a blend of yogurt, there is some acid, and some non-rennet type of cheesy stuff.

I did do a two step strain, first a general kitchen strainer and then on top of my Heavy Duty Special Purpose Yogurt Thickener....my frying splatter screen.

For the nutritional data, I couldn't find anything about casein. So, since my Greek yogurt experiments gave me about 45% product from the original, and this is half of that, I'm using Voskos fat free Greek yogurt as my info, doubling it by weight.

I'm envisioning a little olive oil, wine vinegar...or a bit of balsamic glaze, oh that stuff is lethal. Too much basil and chives outside, there are some options.

Thanks for the thoughts, "guys."

I just cooked some of it. After being in the fridge all night, it's firm but soft, still a lot of water. I sauteed it and it lost half it's weight in water, so my hunch about doubling the Greek yogurt was in the ball park.

End result is like tofu......except a hell of a lot better for you and with that yogurty acid taste.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

OTB:

I once had grilled Haloumi cheese on a salad; bet your creation would be splendid grilled, as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloumi

(Edit: see also Paneer, one of my personal favorites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paneer )