Thread: Soaking and drying techniques - nuts / seeds page

Daniel Doiron Guest

Shop Now

Hi,

Many people are talking about soaking and drying nuts and seeds. I am curious to know what 'protocols' do you use?

Soak times, quantities (ratios), what nuts/seeds do you do it with? Do you need to dry nuts and seeds in the oven (or other) AFTER soaking?

How do you dry them? oven, dryer, air, etc.

Thanks a bunch!

Dan

madMUHHH Guest

Here's a very nice guide for soaking nuts:

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...king-nuts.html

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I soak mine is saltwater, in my yogurt maker overnight (the 110F temp gets rid of more phytic acid than room temp). Dry them spread out all day in a warm spot. Freeze batches and consume after adding flavorings (I like fennel pollen and cinnamon right now)!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Daniel Doiron Guest

madMUHHH - Thanks for the site!

Tara tootie - Could I just spread them out at room temperature or does it really need to be a 'warm spot'? Maybe I could thow them in the oven AFTER shutting it off after having cooked something else. The 'core' of the nut should not reach that high a temp that way cause the oven would slowly decrease in temp.

Riceball Guest

room temperature doesn't do the trick.

they won't dry in time, and since they're already soaked, they could go bad quickly.

it takes 12-20 hoursfor the nuts to dehydrate completely (temprature around 150 degree)

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Well, I have plenty of warm spots but yes, you could just do it in the oven too. Just make sue you keep the temp up... but not too high!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

marci Guest

you'll probably want to invest in a dehydrator- they are about $120 for a 5 tray model (Excalibur makes the best). It's essential for recrisping nuts- you can also use it for making yogurt, jerky, fruit rolls etc. They use very little electricity and won'theat up the house like an oven can (very handy in the summer!)

whitecap Guest

A dehydrator sounds like heaven. Anyway, here's another oven version for those without: "Crispy Nuts" from Mary Enig and Sally Fallon's Eat Fat, Lose Fat (p. 259):
    [quote]

...Crispy pecans, almonds, macadamias, peanuts, and cashews can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature; the omega-3 content of walnuts makes them susceptible to rancidity, so store walnuts in an airtight container in the refrigertor. ...
    <ul>[*]4 cups raw pecans, walnut halves, almonds (whole skinless, slivered or sliced), macadamias, peanuts, or cashews [these last two will be eschewed by the strictly paleo folks of course][*]1 tablespoon sea salt[*]Filtered water[/list]

Place nuts in a bowl with salt and cover with water. Cover loosely and leave at room temperature about 8 hours. (Note: soak cahsews for 6 hours, no longer). Drain in a colander and strew on a stainless-steel baking pan or cookie sheet. Place in an oven set at 150 degrees F and let them dehydrate for 12 to 24 hours or until completely dry and crisp. (You may also use a dehydrater).
    </blockquote>

I just got a copy of this book recently and it has a treasure trove of coconut recipes (not all primal or paleo, but many are) btw.