Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does yoga fit in? page

Bevaboo is offline Senior Member

Question Where does yoga fit in?

Shop Now
    I was just in the middle of one of my 'Play' days, when I thought about the possibility of incorporating yoga into my workout schedule. Yes, I'm one of those organized people who needs to plan my workouts in advance. I didn't used to be, but that was before I had kids. Now, I plan everything to ensure that I'll be able to take care of their needs and my needs without shortchanging any of us.

I took yoga classes for years a long time ago, and I think with a little brush-up, I can get back in the yoga game fairly easily. And doesn't it just sound idyllic to take my yoga mat on the back porch and do some yoga, surrounded by the sounds of nature?

I'm just not sure what yoga would qualify as, WOW or Play? I've used the search engine, and while Mark discusses yoga, I don't see where he's specified how he'd classify it. What say you?
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    For me, some of my yoga is strenuous enough to qualify as moving slowly for long periods of time. Some of the shorter ones might constitute play. And I think in large part it goes toward stress reduction which is important. Also flexibility which I haven't seen Mark address much, but which I think is a very important part of fitness and well being.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    It doesn't yoga is an evil religion, and a gateway to vegetarianism, which we all know is a gateway to veganism.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I don't do yoga, but from what my friend tells me, they do a lot of planks and stuff. Doesn't that come under bodyweight exercise?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    For me, some of my yoga is strenuous enough to qualify as moving slowly for long periods of time. Some of the shorter ones might constitute play. And I think in large part it goes toward stress reduction which is important. Also flexibility which I haven't seen Mark address much, but which I think is a very important part of fitness and well being.
    Same here.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Bevaboo is offline Senior Member
    Sassy and Belinda - That was kind of why I'm conflicted on what it qualifies as. I remember it being a good workout, I know it contributes to strength, but it feels more like play to me.

Darth - I actually stopped being a vegetarian while taking yoga. I could tell I needed more protein, because I needed to strengthen my muscles, and I couldn't get enough without meat. I was so into yoga, I had an Ohm Symbol tattooed on my back, lol. I guess I'm the exception to that 'gateway to evil' rule.
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    Mondays

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Love love love yoga. You'll find several yoga people here.

I have stoped trying to figure out if a certain exercise is categorized as "moving slowly" or "lifting heavy" or "playing". If it feels good, then do it. I still "lift heavy" twice a week and "move slowly" every day so I guess yoga is "play" for me?

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    yoga fits in where ever you want it to

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    Does it matter what it qualifies as? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious. I think if you can find a way of moving your body that you truly enjoy, you should just do it.

I may be biased because I loooooooove yoga, and think everyone should do it. It'll cure what ails ya.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast