Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I use the bottles Lemon / Lime Juice page

croí is offline Senior Member

Can I use the bottles Lemon / Lime Juice

You know at the grocery store you see the plastic bottle shaped like a lemon or a lime? Can I use this? Is it straight lemon / lime juice, or does it have "junk" in it? I ask, because it's a pain in the patuty to try and squeeze lemons &/or limes in order to get a decent amount for marinades. And did I mention the cost difference?

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    check the ingredients. I use some bottled or canned stuff, but not much.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

The little lemon / lime shaped bottles in the produce section state that it pure lemon / lime juice?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I bought some. It didn't make sense to me to spend 50 cents or more on a lime or a lemon to squirt the juice on a dollar's worth of avocado, when I could get a bottle of it for about $2.

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I bought some. It didn't make sense to me to spend 50 cents or more on a lime or a lemon to squirt the juice on a dollar's worth of avocado, when I could get a bottle of it for about $2.
    My thoughts exactly! And when you do squeeze the lime, you only get an ounce (if that) out of it, and then you are throwing the rest away!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    We use it in a pinch, but it doesn't taste quite as fresh. Volatile, oils, yada yada.
    Only an ounce from a lime?! Try a lemon squeezer. Between that and a reamer, we can usually get a good quarter of a cup out of a decent lime. You hafta abuse the lime before squeezing it though. Roll it on the counter, squeeze it, etc.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    We use it in a pinch, but it doesn't taste quite as fresh. Volatile, oils, yada yada.
    Pretty much! I keep it around in case of emergency, but prefer to squeeze it fresh. Sometimes I get lazy and do half fresh half bottled.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i use that Santa Cruz organic bottled lime/lemon juice from WF. I know fresh would be better but I always end up throwing out limes and lemons b/c i bought too much. Easier to just keep the bottled stuff in the fridge. I think it tastes fine, tho i'm sure fresh would be better.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I prefer regular limes and lemons sometimes, because in some recipes I add the zest too, and you can't get that from a bottle. And yes, fresh is definitely tastier, but I sometimes compromise for price's sake.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's concentrated, but I always keep it in case I don't have any fresh on hand.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast