Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I used to be an A1 gal... page

croí is offline Senior Member

I used to be an A1 gal...

Shop Now
    I love steak, but I always ate it with A1. Obviously this won't work anymore. And when I eat steak, I always feel like there is something missing. No matter what type of seasoning or mariande I put on my steak, I still feel like I'm missing the tangy cool flavor that matches perfectly. Is there any type of 'sauce' I could use with my steak?

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    you could make one up. I think the thing with A1 (which I love too) is the sourness with the bit of spice. If I were to try to make up a primal A1, I would try tomato paste, balsamic, a touch of honey, some fruitiness, like maybe pureed dried apricots, and a touch of spice like cayenne. It would probably have to be played with til you get a ratio that works for you, but that would be my take on it.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I find that eating steak "blue-rare" is the way to go. You can really taste the flavour of the meat itself and probably won't need any sauce.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    I used to have to have A1 when I took my steak medium or medium-well. Now that I like them medium-rare, no more A1.

I say A1 wasn't invented to make good steak taste better, it was made to make bad steak edible.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    Is there any type of 'sauce' I could use with my steak?
    Butter and/or sour cream (assuming dairy is OK for you).

If anyone has suggestions for good non-dairy alternatives, I'd be happy to hear them.

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Here's the ingredients:

TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), DISTILLED VINEGAR, CORN SYRUP, SALT, RAISIN PASTE, SPICES AND HERBS, CRUSHED ORANGE PEEL, DRIED GARLIC AND ONION, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), XANTHAN GUM.

Here's a recipe for making your own: Homemade A1

I would probably use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

DSR84 is offline Member
    Yeah, give it time, and you won't miss it. I think a while back on Mark's blog there was a piece on how to get more dark chocolate and red wine which included a recipe for a yummy sounding chocolate-based steak sauce, which you might want to try starting out with and playing with it to get the flavor you want.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I find that eating steak "blue-rare" is the way to go. You can really taste the flavour of the meat itself and probably won't need any sauce.
    +1. A nice steak with a good amount of fat tastes so good with just some salt and pepper. Some blue cheese and sauteed mushrooms don't hurt, but they aren't necessary. Butter is good on steaks that are lacking in fat.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I still use non-Primal condiments at times. I limit my PUFAs more than fructose, but I still will use very small amounts of commercial ketchup & mayo occasionally.

Just part of my 20%--and it makes my life more relaxed.

Have you tried HP steak sauce? I grew up with both & I liked it better than A-1.

These days, it's just salt, pepper & butter---cooked rare!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    If you are trying to be 100% primal, then A1 is not going to work. However, I will use off the shelf sauces from time to time. Just consider it the 20%. A little A1 is not going to hurt.

A great sauce is salsa, especially if you buy one and blend it up so it's not so chunky. You can use salsa on anything in my opinion and it tastes great!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast