Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whey protein and workout-related nutrition page

Melantha is offline Senior Member

Question Whey protein and workout-related nutrition

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since I've started lifting in the morning once a week, I was wondering two things:

1.) Should I be taking in some protein pre-workout? I was thinking maybe a whey protein shake. Or a half of one...?

2.) Is another protein shake sufficient for post-workout? I'd rather not bring two meals to work with me, so should a post-workout protein shake be good if I'm going to eat a big lunch later?

I'm not so much trying to lose weight as gain strength and maybe trim a bit of fat. I'm trying to transition to not eating breakfast, since it makes my mornings a lot less hectic, but I don't feel right fasting before and after a morning (7:30am) workout until noon. I'm also planning on adding a noon lifting session another day of the week; should I pre-game with protein then, too? Then, post-workout would just be lunch, so that's easy.

Also, any favorite, primal-friendly whey protein powders? There's an organic brand at my natural foods store that has minimal ingredients. It's a little pricey, but if I'm only eating it 2-3 times a week, a canister will last for a while, and I appreciate that it doesn't have artificial crap in it.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I am not a fan of protein powders. In fact, I don't believe in taking any nutritional supplements. Click the link to read about why I don't take nutritional supplements.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    If you're looking to build muscle and strength while lifting heavy early in the morning while leaning out a bit, it's important is to get approximately 2g of leucine before your workout and 2g every two hours after that until your first substantial meal. That leaves you with a few options:

• 5g BCAA powder, first dose 15 minutes before your workout
    • 30g Whey protein, first dose 15 minutes before your workout
    • 30-50g lean (yes, this is important) hunk of animal flesh, eating it 30 minutes before your workout and chewing it VERY well

I've hyper-linked products that I have used in the past and would highly recommend. No fillers, no crap, pure product, and a fair price.

Same goes for lifting right before lunch. If you haven't eaten yet that day, get in that leucine before your workout.

If you really aren't going to be lifting that heavy, then just don't take anything pre or two hours post workout. In fact, it can be beneficial to do this once/week in order to optimize your growth hormone levels.

If you decide to try this out, please let me know how it goes!

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    There must be something wrong with me because after my workouts, I'm pretty hungry. Matter of fact, I'm hungry during the day but I've found that if I eat my lunch at aro und 3:40 or so I'm not hungry anymore until late, like 11pm or so but then I might eat two or three olives and then go to sleep but I'm still having the primal shake with berries in the am (round 6:30-7:00am) but then about 10 I'm hungry so I might have fruit, then around noon and I'll have a small salad, then work out about 45 minutes later than around 3:30 ish eat my lunch and I'm good to go! weird or no?
    Health is Wealth!

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Flash, thanks so much for that! I'm not really lifting heavy, but I'm lifting heavy for me. I don't work to failure, since I don't have a spotter, but I increase weight for the last set if I'm not feeling pretty fatigued already. I also sprint twice a week, and never eat before that, so that should help with growth hormone levels.

How does the BCAA supplement taste? I looked at GNC and everything is fruit-flavored, which worries me since I'm not a fruit-flavor person.

Al, I've read your post about why you don't use supplements, and I totally respect your expertise, but I did some number crunching, and I'd have to eat like 6 egg whites to get the kind of protein in a serving of protein powder. Plus I know where to find brands with organic ingredients and no crap. But thanks for the viewpoint. I'm not officially trying to do the Leangains thing, but I am going to try lean protein around workouts, which rules out whole eggs.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simpstr View Post
    There must be something wrong with me because after my workouts, I'm pretty hungry. Matter of fact, I'm hungry during the day but I've found that if I eat my lunch at aro und 3:40 or so I'm not hungry anymore until late, like 11pm or so but then I might eat two or three olives and then go to sleep but I'm still having the primal shake with berries in the am (round 6:30-7:00am) but then about 10 I'm hungry so I might have fruit, then around noon and I'll have a small salad, then work out about 45 minutes later than around 3:30 ish eat my lunch and I'm good to go! weird or no?
    Are you getting enough protein and fat? Fruit and salad generally won't keep you full on their own for very long, and a shake might not either depending on what's in it.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Everyone's gotta find what works for them. As a side rant, I think it's crazy to discard eggs yolks and only eat the whites.

But like I said, to each their own!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Everyone's gotta find what works for them. As a side rant, I think it's crazy to discard eggs yolks and only eat the whites.

But like I said, to each their own!
    I'm with you on the egg yolks, especially when you could be making hollandaise sauce out of them
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    Flash, thanks so much for that! I'm not really lifting heavy, but I'm lifting heavy for me. I don't work to failure, since I don't have a spotter, but I increase weight for the last set if I'm not feeling pretty fatigued already. I also sprint twice a week, and never eat before that, so that should help with growth hormone levels.

How does the BCAA supplement taste? I looked at GNC and everything is fruit-flavored, which worries me since I'm not a fruit-flavor person.
    The fasted sprints should be great!

As far as BCAA taste? It's not stellar. In fact, it's pretty damn bitter. Whenever I took it, I just dumped a few tsp in my mouth and downed it with water, but I'm not sure if many other people would (or even could) do that. You could try adding some l-glutamine (a sweeter tasting amino acid) to balance the flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    As a side rant, I think it's crazy to discard eggs yolks and only eat the whites.
    Ditto for sure. I actually throw my whites away 3/4 of the time I eat eggs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast