Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whey protein and workout-related nutrition page 2

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Everyone's gotta find what works for them. As a side rant, I think it's crazy to discard eggs yolks and only eat the whites.

But like I said, to each their own!
    Oh, I'm with you about that. I'd eat the whites post-workout and then make so much custard, mayo, and super-scrambled eggs at another time. No worries there.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I got some pure BCAAs (1FAST400 BCAA 1000 gr) a couple weeks ago and they ARE bitter. I don't mind that so much as I can down pretty much anything, but they are pretty hydrophobic (don't mix with water well AT ALL). I tried putting the powder in my mouth and chasing with water, but they are so powdery that I have to hold my breath until I get some water swished in and if I breath, they even start coming out of my nose! Haha. Any tips FF? I'd been using Purple Wraath before I got these BCAAs, and it mixes pretty well. I'm currently deciding whether the artifical crap in Purple Wraath is worth dealing with just because it is so much easier to conusme and not that much more expensive.

On a side-note, doesn't cooking egg whites deal with the avidin-binding problems, or are there other concerns? I eat 3-5 over-easy eggs pretty much daily and am wondering whether I'd be better off not eating the whites.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Any tips FF?
    Haha, nope; that's exactly what I would do. It wasn't too bad, just a bit of an inconvenience and I'd much rather be slightly inconvenienced than loading my body with Grok knows what.

On a side-note, doesn't cooking egg whites deal with the avidin-binding problems, or are there other concerns? I eat 3-5 over-easy eggs pretty much daily and am wondering whether I'd be better off not eating the whites.
    Yeah, cooking deals with it just fine, so you should be good! I still eat eggs over easy a few times/week. The only reason I discard the white is because I tend to use eggs as a source of choline and not a protein; so, I just mix the raw yolks in with my meal.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    BCAAs dilute much better in room temp/warm water... just so you know...

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
    Yeah, cooking deals with it just fine, so you should be good! I still eat eggs over easy a few times/week. The only reason I discard the white is because I tend to use eggs as a source of choline and not a protein; so, I just mix the raw yolks in with my meal.
    Residual Egg White Avidin — Cooking Does Not Fully Destroy the Anti-Nutrients

It is a myth that light cooking completely destroys the avidin.

According to this study, poaching eggs only destroys one third of the avidin while even frying leaves 30 percent of it behind.

This raises the question of whether there is a net nutritional advantage to eating any egg whites at all. Most likely, it depends on the individual person. There is controversy over whether biotin produced in the intestinal tract is absorbed — if intenstinal biotin production is indeed nutritionally important, then people whose intestinal flora are less avid producers of biotin probably need to be more concerned about the potential adverse effects of consuming egg white.

I mean, this is getting nitpicky. Even having whole eggs every day probably wouldn't hurt as long as you're getting plenty of biotin. I'll till eat well-cooked whites occasionally as well... but then you also have some oxidized cholesterol if you break the yolks, too. Raw yolks only most of the time for choline for me, too. But then again... I (well, we) soak white rice.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the additional info to all of you (Zoe, iniQuity, and FF). I tried mixing my BCAAs with faily hot coffee the other day and they did mix slightly better, but still not great. It's kinda awkward to get them all down in the locker room because I have to keep mixing and refilling my little tupperware of BCAAs. It's also awkward when I use the "chaser" method and get white powdery dust all over my face ("is that guy snorting coke before he lifts?"). Oh well, I can deal, haha.

I guess I will keep enjoying my over-easy eggs (with lots of butter and herbs)!

GaretJax is offline Junior Member
    Al, just read why you don't take nutritional supplements. Could you share your approach to nutrition with exercise? What/when do you eat? Pre-work out? Post work-out? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    It's also awkward when I use the "chaser" method and get white powdery dust all over my face ("is that guy snorting coke before he lifts?"). Oh well, I can deal, haha.
    Haha!!! I wondered this exact same thing when I was taking them via that method...

Quote Originally Posted by ZoŽ View Post

I mean, this is getting nitpicky. Even having whole eggs every day probably wouldn't hurt as long as you're getting plenty of biotin. I'll till eat well-cooked whites occasionally as well... but then you also have some oxidized cholesterol if you break the yolks, too. Raw yolks only most of the time for choline for me, too. But then again... I (well, we) soak white rice.
    You geek.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    How does the BCAA supplement taste? I looked at GNC and everything is fruit-flavored, which worries me since I'm not a fruit-flavor person.
    I take MAP BCAA pills pre-workout, I don't understand peoples aversion to pills (it's usually that they don't like having to swallow so many), as I can down 20pills in one swallow with just a little water. (wifey however has issues swallowing one pill at a time)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Everyone's gotta find what works for them. As a side rant, I think it's crazy to discard eggs yolks and only eat the whites.

But like I said, to each their own!
    I love me some yolks, over easy on the eggs
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast