Thread: Freezer sizes & lotsa meat page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Freezer sizes & lotsa meat

I didn't find a thread on this topic via search, surprisingly. Well, I'm finally getting 40+ pounds of meat at one time from our local, wonderful meatshare (Thanks, M.M., if you read here!) and its time to purchase a chest freezer. I figure I want capacity for 100lb of frozen meat in cryo packages - that should pretty much cover my needs as I have 2/3 hog coming in the fall and that's about the largest meat order I can envision doing. What size approximately will I need - I want the smallest one that will meet my needs, as I live in a typical NYC apartment. Will a 5 cu ft one be enough? 7? Manual defrost or frostfree? Recommended brands for quiet operation, economy, and reliability?

Thanks everyone.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I have a 7 cu ft. GE and find that it is perfect for plenty of storage for just a couple people. It fit nicely into our last apartment, and has been moved several times with no hiccups. That being said, I am now looking at an upright to replace it because I am tired of having to haul out a ton of stuff to get to the stuff underneath it.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Free Range is offline Senior Member
    You should instead be looking for the biggest you can still fit into your space. Once you have one it won’t take long to wish you had a bigger one. We have two, stand up types, wish they were chest types. Anyhow, back to your question, brand doesn’t matter too much, there isn’t much to go wrong with them, and they are all pretty quiet, so that isn’t much of a problem either. I would go for auto defrost if the cost difference isn’t to great.

beaver is offline Senior Member
    Here is what the website where I get our beef from suggests:

One cubic foot of freezer space holds about 30-35 pounds of meat. One cubic foot is 1 foot wide, 1 foot tall, and 1 foot deep. Most people underestimate how much freezer space they will need! A typical shelf in an upright freezer should hold about 80-90 pounds of meat, if it is stacked carefully.

*A quarter of beef will have 90 pounds of meat
    RLTW

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Free Range View Post
    You should instead be looking for the biggest you can still fit into your space. Once you have one it won’t take long to wish you had a bigger one. We have two, stand up types, wish they were chest types. Anyhow, back to your question, brand doesn’t matter too much, there isn’t much to go wrong with them, and they are all pretty quiet, so that isn’t much of a problem either. I would go for auto defrost if the cost difference isn’t to great.
    I've heard with auto-defrost that your food doesn't last as long since it's frequently partially thawing and refreezing. Anyone know if that's true or have experience with it?

Of course, the way we go through meat, that may be a non-issue.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had a small Sear's 5.1cf chest freezer for 15 years which has been plenty for two people. Indeed, I find it's easy to forget what's at the bottom, so I now use plastic bags and write on them with permanent marker what's in each: burger, steak, etc. I've had stuff go bad from freezer burn, so now try to order a little more often. I clean it out once a year, and reorganize: writing down a list of everything in there so I can keep up with it all. You want some room for broth, and such, too.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism