Thread: Techie preserves/chutney question page

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Question Techie preserves/chutney question

Primal Fuel
    So, it's completely the wrong season, and I don't recall asking this before, but I need some preserve/chutney/jam advice.

I like making such things with hedgerow fruits, overripe mangoes, etc etc. Obviously once everything is sterilised and sealed it should be fine. However, it's my understanding that the sugar in normal recipes is the preservative - so if you leave sugar out then once you open a jar, that's it.

So how can I reconcile this with not adding sugar to anything?
    I have a mango / sultana chutney that I don't think I added sugar to - the mangoes were already syrupy sweet; so far so good, but I'm also slightly paranoid that a lot of food poisoning critters aren't detectable by taste, smell etc.

Thoughts?

Digby is offline Senior Member
    NMG: I love chutney, especially spicy mango, and would love to find a good major grey type recipe. I suppose lemon jiuce or citric acid might help, but I expect it would still require refrigeration.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

localad is offline Senior Member
    I seem to remember the nasty critters (eg botulism) need meat and no air, eg not well preserved bottled pate or similar. veg bacteria will mostly be of the penicillin type molds, green looking+harmless or easily smellable ones. its actually v easy to grow botulina. take piece of raw meat and boil (kills all the stuff already there) boil some water (kills etc) take sterilised container add meat, small pinch of garden soil and top with boiled water (make sure no air trapped) then screw top. leave a few days. Drink. die! (esp do not try and inject into forehead) Its possible to get botulina growing from almost any soil sample! Doesnt affect us day to day as needs total anaerobic conditions to flourish. (eg badly tinned meat)

localad, ex biologist (you'd never guess!)

Make your 'pickles freshly and use or if the bounty need keeping for winter then drying to preserve for use later might be the only way. or keep it in the freezer.

We dont get mangoes in our hedgerows down south in old Lincolnshire...
    Last edited by localad; 04-15-2011 at 07:40 AM.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Zaphyr is offline Member
    If you live by a university w/ an agriculture program they may be able to test the finished jars for bad bacteria you. Also you might contact a place that offers classes. My personal policy is to not F around with stuff like that & go straight to the professionals. When in doubt throw it out!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by localad View Post
    The madness of Tesco means that the only ones that ever properly ripen are spotted as "manky" and reduced to 10p... hence the glut, hence the chutney

I didn't consider trying to dry them to be fair.

I have asked on another forum as well (in a general home cooking area) and the consensus seems to be they won't preserve, so freezing is looking likely.

localad is offline Senior Member
    'Fresh' mango chutney with the xmas turkey! One of your bags of sliced frozen mangos out the freezer. garlic, onion, chili and pickling spices, just enough white (yes) balsamic vinegar to cover. poach it down till thick. add a few extra uncooked diced mango slices for texture. cool. gobble with the gobbler! Can't recall if you have said you are dairy PB? If so add a little very thick double cream to the cooled fresh mango chutney (may need a bit of salt as well) Now try with the turkey. A double whammy!
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by localad View Post
    I seem to remember the nasty critters (eg botulism) need meat and no air, eg not well preserved bottled pate or similar. veg bacteria will mostly be of the penicillin type molds, green looking+harmless or easily smellable ones. its actually v easy to grow botulina. take piece of raw meat and boil (kills all the stuff already there) boil some water (kills etc) take sterilised container add meat, small pinch of garden soil and top with boiled water (make sure no air trapped) then screw top. leave a few days. Drink. die! (esp do not try and inject into forehead) Its possible to get botulina growing from almost any soil sample! Doesnt affect us day to day as needs total anaerobic conditions to flourish. (eg badly tinned meat)

localad, ex biologist (you'd never guess!)

Make your 'pickles freshly and use or if the bounty need keeping for winter then drying to preserve for use later might be the only way. or keep it in the freezer.

Botulism does occur in vegetable preparations. My mother did lots of bottling/canning, and I recall tomatoes were particularly worrisome.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I did a search for primal chutney recipes and found this thread. If you want to preserve things to keep in sealed jars at room temperature, they must be preserved in a pressure canner unless they are very high in sugar or the PH is under 4.5, in which case a boiling water bath can be used.

I just want a little sweet and sour with my chicken; I don't mind making a small amount and keeping it in the refrigerator. So I'm thinking dates, apples, apple cider vinegar, and fresh ginger, simmered until thick.