Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How bad is fruit? page

James17 Guest

Primal Fuel

I don't mean a serving of blueberries a day. What I mean is, say for instance if I were to eat 5 or 6 servings of apples and bananas (etc.) in a day. Exactly how bad would that be? I know this is completely blasphemous to the whole PB but I really have a hard time seeing fruit as unhealthy. It's fruit!! It's nice and colourful and appeals to our senses and we have a taste for it and fruit salads are yummy

Thank you!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Fruit = tree candy!

Consider that fruit is seasonal, and the wild versions are not nearly as large and sugary as we have developed recently.

On the plus side, the fibre is slowing down the release of all that sugar.

Personally, I'm okay with berries, but apples make me hungrier than I was before I ate it (never could work that out), and bananas and grapes are pure sugar.

There are worse things to eat, but I honestly don't miss fruit.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I see nothing wrong with one or two pieces of things like apples or star fruit (it's tropical fruit) that aren't hideously sweet.

Bananas, however, all sugars and starches.

Griff is offline Senior Member

Fruit is just natural candy. It's all sugar. Sugar is not healthy. Worse, it's addictive.

The most I'll have anymore is a few ounces of raspberries or strawberries.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

James,

If you were to eat six bananas at about 27 gms. of carbs each, you would be consuming about 162 gms. of carbs from that alone.

This would probably kick you right out of the "sweet spot" for losing weight, and give you a bunch of sugar your body probably doesn't need.

Nobody here is saying that bananas are evil. But they will probably derail your weight loss, if that is what you're trying to do. You will probably also stop burning fat for energy, which is one great thing about PB.

What are your goals???

Catalina is offline Member

Fruit is definitely high in sugar. Check out this blog:

http://nephropal.blogspot.com/2009/10/sun-fruit-trees-and-ancient-man.html

There are interesting relationships between summer & fruit & sun.

James17 Guest

My goals are pretty much being and staying healthy. I'm not too fussed about weight loss because I'm happy with my body composition. I suppose I'll have to stop eating bananas and keep it to no more than some berries. I just really can't look at an orange and say "I'm not eating that! It's bad!"

Thanks for all the replies!

Annika is offline Senior Member

I don't eat a ton of fruit, but I feel free to eat as much as I want. Fruit is packed with vitamins and phytonutrients. On the other hand, I don't need to lose weight; I might feel differently if I was overweight.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Go to www.nutritiondata.com or use the USDA SR21 data bases, either online or downloadable. You are a bright kid, James, so I know you can "do the math".

The majority of fruits I've ever looked at have about equal amounts of sucrose and fructose. Sucrose, of course, is half fructose. Apples have a LOT more fructose that sucrose.

Now, does that make me go running away screaming, all that fructose? No.

First, I avoid it like the plague elsewhere, so I cut myself some slack. Two, as I've often try to remind folks here, it's not just the WHAT but the HOW MUCH that makes things bad for you. Third, even the guy that does that Sugar: The Bitter Truth video lecture, which is very anti-fructose, says in regards fruit: "The anecdote is in the poison." He means that because of cellulose and fiber, the fructose (and any sucrose)has a much slower release into your system than eating sugar. Your liver isn't going into "ohmygod" mode.

So, in moderation, have a couple of pieces a day. Even the infamous "PB Approved" blueberries and strawberries have a fair amount of sugars. Look 'em up.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I get really irked by the whole fruit is just a candy bar on a tree thing. I LOVE fruit and think it is very nutritious and full of vitamins that I would have to otherwise supplement into my diet. Candy bars are processed refined peices of junk, with nothing in the way of nutrients to offer.

That being said, I am shocked at how little fruit I eat now that I'm primal. I have maybe one fruit a day, and many days go by without any. This is a huge departure from my previous diet of 6-8 servings of fruit a day.

My body just doesn't crave fruit as much, but it's cool that fruit has become a treat at the end of a meal, a dessert almost. (Maybe fruit is nature's candy after all!!! lol)

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast