Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Red Meat... page 4

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks all. I just wanted to be sure. I was doing red meat twice a week SAD but since going primal, it has been considerably more than that. Sometimes 2 times a day. (yesterday 3 because I had breakfast) And not every day, but many days. And it's never (usually never ) a little weiney deck of cards either
    Last edited by gopintos; 05-18-2012 at 03:31 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Are you confusing amount of protein with amount of meat? Maybe I didn't understand your original post. Yes, 100g per day of protein is roughly what Mark and others recommend. But that's going to take at least 300g red meat to get 100g protein, you can check the exact value on fitday or dailyplate. I figure about a pound per day, average, is good for me.

TONIGHT I'm going to the best steakhouse I've ever been to, an Argentine restaurant in NYC. All GF. Probably order the 1kg skirt steak for two with chimichurri (share it with date). Maybe pick at a salad. Will go over my primal budget on wine drinking, and feel fine with it.
    Damn. That sounds like a great dinner!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    I really think it's the combination of red meat and bad carbs that have given red meat a bad reputation. If your insulin is out of whack then your body cannot properly deal with saturated fats and cholesterol. This makes the fat and cholesterol look like the culprit. But take away the bad carbs and your body can deal with and process the fats and cholesterol just fine. Unfortunately, CW wants to continue to point fingers at the fats instead of the processed garbage.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    I really think it's the combination of red meat and bad carbs that have given red meat a bad reputation. If your insulin is out of whack then your body cannot properly deal with saturated fats and cholesterol. This makes the fat and cholesterol look like the culprit. But take away the bad carbs and your body can deal with and process the fats and cholesterol just fine. Unfortunately, CW wants to continue to point fingers at the fats instead of the processed garbage.
    That, and the fact that every study done on red meat lumps garbage processed meat (like you said, served on a bun with fries) in with pure grass-fed beef.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I thought I read somewhere, .7 - 1g per 1lb lean mass, which I had figured in my mind around 100g per day. Now I am not so sure how I arrived at that number because re-figuring it just now, it seems off, but that is what I was thinking about yesterday when I posted & I ended up with like 145g yesterday between my red meat and other protein. I was extra hungry yesterday and steak sure hit the spot. I was doing alot of tree planting.

I just see conflicting stuff on the forum from time to time, so I was just curious if red meat limits was one such area.

Thanks for the feedback
    About the amount of protein one should consume, what happens if you consistently eat more than the recommendations? I'm about 110 lbs and probably 20% body fat. So that is about 88g of protein daily. I'm pretty sure I eat much more than that.

Alice is offline Member
    My view:

It's healthy as long as it's not consumed in excess (definition of excess: living off an all-meat diet with no source of minerals and vitamins such as organ meats, or nutritious plant foods such as fruits/vegetables). I also don't believe processed meat is healthy, and processed meat, if eaten, should be in moderation.

I eat red meat everyday. Grass fed = eat fat. Grain fed = take off fat. I rarely eat grain fed anymore, though. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't eat red meat. I'm allergic to seafood, I don't care for pork (nearly impossible to find pastured anyway) and I am really not very fond of chicken because it does not seem to satiate as well as red meat -- unless they are chickens in their egg form.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Last night I bought a $17 bison ribeye just for myself. It weight .81lbs. I cooked it fairly rare, a tad toward the medium side. It was extremely tender. I cook it at so low a temperature it's not really even cooked. It was my best steak yet. I ate it with a half a small sweet potato over which I drizzled the small amount of juice that was left after I seared the edges of the steak in a pan. Such a simple meal and so satisfying. After I ate this, I was not stuffed, I was not "full". My stomach didn't stick out. I was simply satisfied and happy. I had energy to do things around the house. Later I slept like a baby. I woke up this morning and had a cup of black coffee while I read the paper. I needed nothing. That my friends is the power of red meat. For me anyway.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234