Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Meat... page 3

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I ate a pound of grass-fed ground beef at dinner and sprinkled a little raw, grass-fed cheese on the top. Then I sauté some vegetables such as kale and asparagus right along with the meat as I cook it. I do it quite often this way. Yum. Try to eat fish once or twice a week as well, but it can be a little pricey on my budget.

Sometimes for a variation I'll toss a little chicken or pork into the routine, but mostly for me, it's red meat and occasional fish.

As long as you aren't going over your caloric allotment, I say don't worry!

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I like beef offal more than muscle. I eat beef liver and kidney once a week, and heart almost every other day. When I first started eating meat again (was vegetarian for 7 years), I loved steak and couldn't get enough of it. Ate it daily back then. Now I find that steak is not my first choice. But I prefer beef over pork and chicken. Lamb is not available locally here and very expensive, so I only have it once in awhile. In general I try to vary what I eat over a week, mostly beef for lunch, and pork for dinner. Occasionally fish. I'm breastfeeding so my family doesn't say anything about it (they think it's way too rich), but lately they've been asking me to test my cholesterol.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Grokoddess View Post
    I want to hear everybodies views on Red Meat..

Don't eat it too much ..
    Eat it everyday ..
    too much bad for body,
    eating it is healthy for body,
    Causes Cancer,
    Better to eat lean meat vs red meat
    etc etc etc ..

Thx Everyone for the input
    Isn't asking this question here a bit like walking into a kindergarten and asking how everyone feels about ice cream and puppies?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I was going to ask why on earth ask such silly questions.

I tend to eat beef for breakfast. Lately I buy a 2lb chuck roast and get about 7 meals out of it plus I drink the broth that's leftover in the crockpot after I cook it. Other cuts I get are ground beef, buffalo, rarely a ribeye and every week liver. Beef makes me feel healthy.

Although chuck roast is about the fattiest meat I can find, I don't find red meat to be very fatty. It's actually quite difficult to find really fatty meat. I eat some really super fatty pork roast once in a while. That stuff is heaven and seems to fill a hole left by the beef.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    110 g is NOT too much, nor is it too much protein!! What info are you basing this on? "Too much protein" is actually hard to do. I average about a pound (450 g) of meat & fish every day and am wondering if I should start eating more.
    I thought I read somewhere, .7 - 1g per 1lb lean mass, which I had figured in my mind around 100g per day. Now I am not so sure how I arrived at that number because re-figuring it just now, it seems off, but that is what I was thinking about yesterday when I posted & I ended up with like 145g yesterday between my red meat and other protein. I was extra hungry yesterday and steak sure hit the spot. I was doing alot of tree planting.

I just see conflicting stuff on the forum from time to time, so I was just curious if red meat limits was one such area.

Thanks for the feedback
    Last edited by gopintos; 05-18-2012 at 07:35 AM.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    We eat "red" meat two or three times a week in the form of beef or lamb, sometimes buffalo - there is a local farm here. When the CW said that red meat was bad, I could never make sense of it and ate it anyway. I'm healthy after all these years.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    I have converted from lean meats to fatty meats 100%. I no longer eat chicken, turkey or lean cuts of pork. I always feel best when I eat fatty meats every day. My faves right now are bacon, pastured pork butt and ribs, sausage and brisket. I do some lamb too, ate 4 lbs of lamb ribs night before last. Tasty!!!

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I eat it once or twice or thrice daily. I prefer fatty cuts for pal stability and satiety. I think red meat is a major part of a healthy lifestyle.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I thought I read somewhere, .7 - 1g per 1lb lean mass, which I had figured in my mind around 100g per day. Now I am not so sure how I arrived at that number because re-figuring it just now, it seems off, but that is what I was thinking about yesterday when I posted & I ended up with like 145g yesterday between my red meat and other protein. I was extra hungry yesterday and steak sure hit the spot. I was doing alot of tree planting.

I just see conflicting stuff on the forum from time to time, so I was just curious if red meat limits was one such area.

Thanks for the feedback
    Are you confusing amount of protein with amount of meat? Maybe I didn't understand your original post. Yes, 100g per day of protein is roughly what Mark and others recommend. But that's going to take at least 300g red meat to get 100g protein, you can check the exact value on fitday or dailyplate. I figure about a pound per day, average, is good for me.

TONIGHT I'm going to the best steakhouse I've ever been to, an Argentine restaurant in NYC. All GF. Probably order the 1kg skirt steak for two with chimichurri (share it with date). Maybe pick at a salad. Will go over my primal budget on wine drinking, and feel fine with it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We eat grassfed beef or wild game almost daily, and often more than once a day since I eat meat at most meals. Its what's in the freezer because we get our meat seasonally by the whole, half or quarter animal. Chicken, pork and seafood occasionally.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast