Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, so, acne... page

Hawkeye is offline Junior Member

Okay, so, acne...

Shop Now
    Ever since I hit about 15 I've had incredibly bad acne. It's cleared up to a certain extent since going primal, but I still have it badly. Has anyone else had it like this, and were you able to clear it up? Especially scars. My actual acne has been sort of okay lately, it's just the scars will not go away. I've had some of these for probably a good 6-7 months.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yikes! That's evidence of malnutrition for sure (haven't seen the pic, just going by description). What I think you should do is go militant on inflammation. I have an acne problem, always have, hopefully it goes away some time into my adulthood but it's frustrating. What should be first priority is reducing excessive inflammation so as to not get scaring. I used to get scaring, now if I get a little pimple it goes away in 2 weeks tops.

Eat salmon/sardines/other fatty fish (or brains. Always gotta mention them guyd) every single day to the tune of 5g or so of omega 3 fats, reduce omega 6 fats to less than 5g. Do that for a month

To stop the pimples. Get sufficient in nutrients, particularly magnesium and zinc but really everything, more or less. Heal the guy with a non gut irritating diet + gelatin and coconut, lots of those. Possibly colostrum too. Do paleo minus nuts, seeds, dairy, nightshades, eggs and anything else that causes gut irritation. Do that for a while. Think happy thoughts. Work out smart. Sleeeeeep.

Is there any more? Fill in the blanks, primals.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Yeah you would have to be more 'paleo' than primal, i.e. cutting out the dairy, nightshades, etc. for at least a little while. How old are you?/How much control do you have over your meals?/Is that an issue?

retin-A/tretinoin might help with reducing/healing the scars, but you have to be very careful with how you use it.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Hawkeye is offline Junior Member
    I've been avoiding nuts, seeds, dairy when possible. I'll have to try eggs and nightshades now. That sucks, eggs have been a favorite of mine. I've been trying to get more magnesium lately. Any recommendations on how much?

How old are you?/How much control do you have over your meals?/Is that an issue?
    I'm 17 now; meal control isn't really an issue. My parents are fortunately pretty supportive, and would have no problem with me doing what it takes.

I've been taking 5000IU of Vit. D every day, and I think I have noticed breakouts when not taking it.
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 04-14-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    What to do: See a doctor and get some antibiotics prescribed. Quite often that's all it needs.

What not to do: Use a steroidal based cream. They will ultimately wreck your skin and make it photosensitive in the meantime.

That's all I know.

I know, it's a shame. Bah, i love eggs, and can actually eat some of them now but I can't go crazy with them.

One thing I found that really helped was about a month of high-dose probitioics use and fermentable fiber like a bit of chicory root to normalize gut flora and heal the gut. Then still take the fiber but not the probiotics and gelatin. You can get away with a lot with good gut health. Iodine seems to be good at killing bad buggers although in the first stages it will set off acne, as indicated by some short-term studies.

Also I hate to say it, but some forms of factory farmed meat like barley or heat fed beef are problematic, sigh. What is the world trying to kill me? If I want to be completely acne free (and rash free) I have to stick to new Zealand grass fed lamb, grass fed beef and wild seafood plus good fatsm vegetables and maybe a little fruit + supplements. Sheeeeesh.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Although having had BAD acne (for some reason, I can't see your pic), but that that before going PB, so I can't tell how it's affected mine. I've been on birth control, different antibiotics, natural remedies, cremes and what not. Tetracyklin seems to have killed if off for good. My sis has been on accutane, but because I'm prone to depression, my doc wouldn't go there if possible to avoid.

I can't give you many good tips, but just wanted to tell you that I know what kind of horrible, horrible pain (acne was actually part of my moderate depression) that sh*t brings!

You might want to check out Acne.Org - Daniel Kern makes some good products that I still use daily, and there's a lot of people to discuss it with. I'm a member myself, but isn't active anymore.
    I don't know how his remedies go along with PB, but he's very minded on simplicity, gentleness and pure, KNOWN (not a load of strange cr*p and hormones and whatnot) ingredients. I recommend it!

Agreed, Dan has done some great things for people trying to manage acne. I wish he hadn't given up on paleo so easily, I'm confident that if he hadn't eaten jars of nuts he would have cleared it for good, but meh. The guy has done some good work anyway.

JLB
    JLB is offline Member
    I am a big fan of Dermalogica. They make a product line called Chromawhite TRx. It has totally helped me with scarring. Sometimes I would use too harsh of products and that would cause my breakouts. On occasion, I'll just use dial anti-bac and a light moisturizer just to avoid antibiotics in my belly! I have come to find that dairy is the primary culprit so I try to avoid it most often or just know I will suffer consequences later. Oh ya, change your pillow case more often and don't use fabric softener in anything that touches your face. This helps me... might help you too! Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast