Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to heat up meat without cooking it more? page

BobbySoFamous is offline Junior Member

How to heat up meat without cooking it more?

Shop Now
    I'm new to cooking meat and I've ran into the trouble of heating meat without cooking it further. If I have leftover buffalo breakfast patties or steak strips for a stir fry, I don't want to lose that pink middle the next day when I reheat it. Help!

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    You're reheating at work, I assume? So you'd be using a microwave?
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Eat it cold. Or you could try not heating it to the point where it cooks more (think warm meat)
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

strom is offline Senior Member
    350 F for 10 minutes. Less if its a really thin cut of meat.

BobbySoFamous is offline Junior Member
    I'm not talking about eating at work, I work from home but rarely if ever use the microwave. I assume it infuses food with radioactive herpes and therefore avoid it. I'll try the oven!

I think this is an Open Problem in cooking. You're going to cook it some and meat won't be as good the second day.

That said, here's what I do with all my leftover meats. You need to invest in three things, all of which you can keep around indefinitely: a big bag of frozen onion/bell pepper blend (cheap), cumin (if you get whole cumin and grind it yourself you'll foodgasm when you taste it), and smoked paprika (seriously awesome). Saute onion/pepper blend in coconut oil or something. Meanwhile cut the meat into bite-sized pieces. Throw into pan with some cumin and smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Only keep it in there for like 3 minutes. It's fajitas you can eat with a fork. Guac makes it extra special. Cheese and sour cream are discretionary, of course, but I use them. I did this with roast chicken, braised beef heart, and a mix of the two, and neither got tough or dry.

Disclaimer: I have never had success reheating steak.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbySoFamous View Post
    I'm not talking about eating at work, I work from home but rarely if ever use the microwave. I assume it infuses food with radioactive herpes and therefore avoid it. I'll try the oven!
    From what I read, if you're within 500 meters of an operating microwave, you are boned anyway.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    So you can reheat braised or roasted dishes in the oven, because those were heated pretty well anyway so more heat shouldn't dry them out too much.

Steaks, or tender cuts of meat, are pretty impossible to reheat. Unless you have sous vide water bath, in which case it's just so damn easy.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

strom is offline Senior Member
    The 350-400 F was in the oven on a warming container of sorts. Usually get its nice and hot, like I like to eat meat, yet not dry.

JLB
    JLB is offline Member
    maybe undercook what you know will be leftovers... or go for cold meat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast