Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School me on ketosis, diet soda, and healthy fats that should be taken reg page

stielow is offline Member

School me on ketosis, diet soda, and healthy fats that should be taken reg

Primal Fuel
    I understand how ketosis works but lets say you have carbs lets say 100 carbs and you are on ketosis how long does it take to go back on ketosis?

What are some healthy fats that help with weightloss. It seems like if i am kinda bloated if I eat bacon then i am then regualar or if I have something fatty aka fish, sausage etc.

What other things are you guys eating to help with random bloating?

Also if diet coke has no calories why are people so fat that drink soda?

Does diet soda spike ketosis?

I dont drink pop other than a rarity, just always wondered.

Thanks for any input or help.
    Last edited by stielow; 04-14-2011 at 05:35 PM.

dado Guest
    I am not expert on ketosis, hopefully someone will step in and pick that one up.

Bacon, it should not make you bloated. What are you eating with the bacon?

And the diet coke, well, the sweeteners they use are poison, man. That alone is enough reason to avoid. I cannot go into more detail because I do not possess the understanding, but that is all you really need to know.

capt46f3 is offline Member
    Personally, I don't think that ketosis is importnant. I keep carbs ~100gm/day + carbs for before and after training.

Bacon? Bacon is god's gift to man. Do not speak poorly of bacon or you will be smiteth down. Perhaps it is the salt that is causing you to be swollen.

Fat people are fat because they eat too much and don't burn enough. Has nothing to do with diet soda. Diet mountain dew is my crack, so it is a part of my 20%.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    It takes me 3-4 days to get into strong ketosis, but it all depends on the individual and how much sugar you have stored in your body.

Bacon is high in sodium and sodium can certainly lead to bloat in some people. Although, people on a Primal diet usually consume less salt overall so if bacon's your only salty vice, enjoy it.

Diet soda's, while containing no sugar, do contain artificial sweeteners which have been shown to spike insulin in some people. Insulin can tell the body to store fat, thus, making it more difficult to lose weight. I don't think diet soda has any direct effect on ketosis.

You need to do some research, my man. Most of us here are not experts, just curious folk looking for a better way.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Quote Originally Posted by capt46f3 View Post
    Fat people are fat because they eat too much and don't burn enough.
    Go get GCBC, god dammit!

This new crop of MDA peeps needs to do some reading before they're allowed to post.

LOL
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Actually, Jokaman, look at Mark's post on artificial sweeteners. They don't cause insulin spikes. And GCBC is useful at poking holes in the CW, but then Taubes goes off and does exactly what he accuses the establishment of doing, namely pointing to a single cause (carbs) as the problem without any scientific basis for it. And plenty of people are fat because they eat too much and don't move.

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    Watch this for why overweight people are overweight.
    YouTube - Why You Got Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    Actually, Jokaman, look at Mark's post on artificial sweeteners. They don't cause insulin spikes. And GCBC is useful at poking holes in the CW, but then Taubes goes off and does exactly what he accuses the establishment of doing, namely pointing to a single cause (carbs) as the problem without any scientific basis for it. And plenty of people are fat because they eat too much and don't move.
    Regarding artificial sweeteners, I've heard Robb Wolf and other well respected people in the Paleo community say otherwise. I think its effect may be negligible in a lot people, but it's still measurable.

And as for Taubes...nothing's made more sense to me than the content in GCBC. He may limit his focus, on CHO, but it's still an epic contribution to the community. If you'd discourage someone from reading GCBC, because you don't agree with 100% of it, you lose all credibility with me.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Not trying to lose all credibility with you, man. Maybe just a little. GCBC is a good read, and is invaluable for his destroying the lipid hypothesis and other conventional nutrition science. But his solution of "it's not the fat, it's the carbs" is not supported with the same rigor in which he destroys the CW.

I'd also add that "Why We Get Fat" is much more accessible than GCBC which is quite dense. I recommended GCBC to a friend and he got 50 pages in and quit.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stielow View Post
    I understand how ketosis works but lets say you have carbs lets say 100 carbs and you are on ketosis how long does it take to go back on ketosis?

What are some healthy fats that help with weightloss. It seems like if i am kinda bloated if I eat bacon then i am then regualar or if I have something fatty aka fish, sausage etc.

What other things are you guys eating to help with random bloating?

Also if diet coke has no calories why are people so fat that drink soda?

Does diet soda spike ketosis?

I dont drink pop other than a rarity, just always wondered.

Thanks for any input or help.
    I am having a hard time understanding your questions as they are all over the place. Like Jokaman said you should definitely read more. Pick up and read Primal Blueprint if you haven't already. And use the search button on this website and take a look at the articles Mark wrote regarding good fats/oils and also his latest work on diet soda and artificial sweeteners.

You ask does diet soda spike ketosis? Did you mean insulin? If insulin, then it may not as Mark suggested on his recent MDA. But you do have to remember that the artificial sweeteners in diet soda have been shown in certain studies to be a neurotoxin and possibly a carcinogen in high enough doses. Not to mention that artificial sweeteners just continue to make you crave sweet things. Even though it has no caloric value it is still giving you that sweet taste.

"I understand how ketosis works but lets say you have carbs lets say 100 carbs and you are on ketosis how long does it take to go back on ketosis? "

Again I don't really understand your question. If you mean 100 grams of carbs, then on a daily basis that should be enough to keep you off of ketosis. Every individual is different in regards to ketosis but it is my understanding that you would have to be VLC to get into ketosis and 100grams is still in the sweet spot and not regarded as VLC.

You have a lot of questions and I think it would be best to do some more reading and research. Good luck.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast