Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a larabar yesterday page

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member

Bought a larabar yesterday

Primal Fuel
    It was my first time eating one, and it was pretty good. But it was also $1.50 and TINY.

So today, I was thinking. What are the ingredients in a larabar? the one I had was walnuts, dates, and bananas. So I put a handful of dried dates in the food processor, added a few dried plums, whizzed them up to a smooth consistency, and then folded in shaved coconut and almonds. I pressed it out into a bar form, and what do you know, a larabar. YUM! When we go shopping this weekend, I'll get more dates and bananas and try to make a banana bread one. Anyone else make their own larabars?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Sounds delicious but too carby for me right now... says she who just ate half a fruit plate from the work luncheon.

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    ChocolateCoveredKatie's been doing them for years:

Fudge Baby Flavors

She and her readers have come up with all kinds of recipes:

Fudge Baby Mania

There's some great stuff there, you'll love it!
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    There's no shortage of larabar recipes online. I made some with cashews, dates, cocoa powder, cinnamon and lemon zest, deelish. I didn't make them into bars though but into balls and ate them as dessert. Great recipe for the holidays.

jmcintosh is offline Junior Member
    Theyre really easy to make. Dates, whatever flavor of nuts and dried fruit you prefer. I'll be making some for a backcountry elk hunt, and I add protein powder to them as well. If I buy them, I watch for the grocery store to run them on sale for $1.00 ea and stock up. Right now I have 60 of them. They are great for a fast breakfast on the way out of camp in the morning, or a mid morning snack. I use them for post workout snacks too, along with a piece of leftover chicken breast. Unlike most bars you buy, larabars are clean. No science fair project with them.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    I just had my first larabars at a festival yesterday. Honestly, I'm confused what all the fuss is about. They're just sugar bars made from dates.
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamo42 View Post
    I just had my first larabars at a festival yesterday. Honestly, I'm confused what all the fuss is about. They're just sugar bars made from dates.
    Yeah, I had my first ones yesterday - sample size ones. I thought they were okay, but nothing to write home about. I'd rather eat some nuts and fruit.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Lara bars are my primal version of fast food. I keep them around for times when I have completely failed to plan and have no food. Keeps me from eating non-primal food.

Actually, I have given up nuts for 30 days and since I seem to feel better without them, Lara bars might be out now anyway. But I found them to be a useful convenience.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamo42 View Post
    They are delicious and I love them after a super intense workout.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I use them as easy portable food, especially for travel. Getting a gluten dose will make me really sick, so on longer trips (especially overseas), I will take a box of them along so I know I have something I can safely eat in a pinch. I also tend to keep Larabars, jerky, and nuts around for road trips and to throw in my partner's lunch bag--he has a moving and delivery company and lifts heavy things all day, so he needs portable calories.

Yes, they're carby, but not all of us eat VLC. I prefer the coconut ones to the really fruity flavours though (not a fan of the banana, for example).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast