Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really sleepy after lunch....why? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Really sleepy after lunch....why?

Primal Fuel
    One of the best things everyone says about Primal is the energy and no mid-afternoon slump. I haven't found that to be the case for me. For example, I feel so exhausted right now after eating. I ate an 8 oz. NY Strip with butter and a side salad with olive oil vinaigrette. Nothing extreme....definitely primal. The side salad wasn't even that big, so I can't imagine it's the carbs from the side salad. Is it my body using the energy I have to process the fat I just consumed you think?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    If that is happening you might just need more carbohydrate in the meal to keep your blood sugar up. I know that makes me sound about as CW as it gets but consider this. The body needs a certain amount of glucose every day for things like immune function, the brain and other things. That salad is very low carb abd probably not even making it into your blood stream very much since the carbs are being eaten by gut microbes. So when you give yourself that big meal you exhaust what glucose you had, and apparently you aren't converting enough protein to glucose to meet your demands and your blood sugar dips.

Some solutions:

-A little more carbohydrate in the diet. Doesn't have to be lots but some starch or a piece of fruit will likely help.

-More coconut fat. The more coconut fat you eat the less your glucose needs for the brain will be.

-You might be deficient in some nutrients that are necessary for synthesis of ATP or gluconeogenesis (making carbs out of proteins). Perhaps check your total nutrition if you aren't already.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    the brain needs only 500 calories to function and if you are not getting that in your meal you may need to up it . if you have 3 meals that are around 500cal each that is about 1500 cal a day. 1200cal is jsut for basic body function so if you have 650cal per meal that would be 1800 which is better for a more active life. I know this is very CW but you have to think about it as far as fueling too.

My suggestion is to bump up your meal. Crowd out your protein with your veggies and you should feel much better without over doing it.
    Gretchen in Wyoming
    Princess to the King
    Mom of 3
    Grandma of 1
    Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

Thank you for that suggestion....I do take a multi-vitamin daily along with other vitamins, so it's hard for me to believe there's a nutrient I'm not getting ya know?

What confuses me is it doesn't feel like low blood sugar....I'm not shaky. I usually get really shaky when my blood sugar dips. Could it still be that you think? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sghulett View Post
    the brain needs only 500 calories to function and if you are not getting that in your meal you may need to up it . if you have 3 meals that are around 500cal each that is about 1500 cal a day. 1200cal is jsut for basic body function so if you have 650cal per meal that would be 1800 which is better for a more active life. I know this is very CW but you have to think about it as far as fueling too.

My suggestion is to bump up your meal. Crowd out your protein with your veggies and you should feel much better without over doing it.

I thought a fatty NY Strip was high calories? I mean granted the salad wasn't but the salad dressing was. Hmmm....interesting. I never thought about eating more. I mean I'm full...I've actually been trying to cut back on portions cause I feel so stuffed a lot of times.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    What about your magnesium intake? A multi-vitamin gives you all of the types of nutrients you need but many people notice improved energy at a higher dose of magnesium like 600mg per day (including from food). And the kind that is in most multis is magnesium oxide which doesn't absorb into the body very well, usually we need a better form and more of it. Magnesium is one of those minerals that is needed to produce enough ATP and to keep our blood sugar regulated.

Many people notice improved by composition and energy when increasing their magnesium. Later in the day, though. It is very relaxing and you want to fall alssep but then you wake up energized.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Yep, I take two magnesium complexes with lunch that has calcium and zinc with it plus I take Natural Calm every night before bed...1 teaspoon. :/ Any more and I start to go to the bathroom too much.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Yep, I take two magnesium complexes with lunch that has calcium and zinc with it plus I take Natural Calm every night before bed...1 teaspoon. :/ Any more and I start to go to the bathroom too much.
    I find that I can only take magnesium at night because if I take it during the day it has an almost sedating effect.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    I find that I can only take magnesium at night because if I take it during the day it has an almost sedating effect.
    Well what's weird is that I used to take 2 in the morning 2 at lunch and then Natural Calm at night. I never noticed it doing anything before...I always had tons of energy. I recently cut back to 2 at lunch and then the natural calm at night due to my IBS flare ups. So see...it's just not adding up.

What's even stranger is that my first month on Primal I had SO SO SO much energy. But after my second and third month it feels like it's dwindling.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another thought I had was is it possible to get TOO much of a certain vitamin and then it causes fatigue? I mean maybe I'm getting all my vitamins from food now, and I'm overdosing on something perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast