Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing with carb cravings: from low-fat-low-proteine to primal page

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member

Cool Done :) "Dealing with carb cravings: from low-fat-low-proteine to Primal"

Shop Now
    I came from a low-fat-low-proteine diet as my mom raised me on it, thinking it to be healthy (she was told she has some genetic high choleresterol propensity and is on statins and a low-fat diet).
    Since December I gradually transitioned more and more into the primal eating style. I had quite a bit of trouble with this as my body was accostumed to fueling on a extremely high carb diet. I had several carb binges in the process (I used to LOVE eating a shitload of cookies or chips, but it's getting steadier over the months.
    Now, I steer myself to fruits and nuts if I get a craving. Being a guy that leads a pretty active lifestyle I've always felt the need to eat a lot and always. If I would miss a meal I'd get low on blood-sugar instantly and wanted something to eat. And then on all the meals I would eat a lot of food aswell. The funny thing is that with all this eating, I'm a very slim dude, I used to be quite skinny before I started working out 2 years ago. Currently, I'm at about 158-160 at 6'1. I'm wondering if there is anything I should still change? Is it okay to rely on a lot of fruits and nuts, or should I eat more meat/fish/egg to increase my calorie intake?

To give an illustration, I'll post up what I eat on a random day:
    Breakfast around 7:
    2-egg omelet + my primal cereal: medium bowl of broccoli flowerets (5), hand full of nuts, 100 grams of berries and mixed up with fresh made pineapple/kiwi/coconut/orange/banana/mango juice
    Lunch around 12:
    200-300 grams of cow/pork meat
    Large bowl of salad: mix of lettuce/spinach/brussels chicory (witloof)/chinese cabbage/radish/bok choy/avocado/cucumber + 2 tomatos + table spoon of Apple Cider Vinaigre
    Afternoon snacking:
    A banana, an apple and a hand of nuts
    Diner:
    Big serving of some veggie (cauliflower/sweatheart cabbage/beets/asparagus/etc) with 150-200 grams of meat or fish + 2,5-3 potatoes
    Evening:
    Some more nuts or chocolate or nothing.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Edje Noh; 07-06-2011 at 09:16 AM.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Dude, seriously that is a shit ton of natural sugar and very little protein/fat really.

For breakfast you consume: 100 grams of berries and mixed up with fresh made pineapple/kiwi/coconut/orange/banana/mango juice
    Afternoon snack: A banana, an apple and a hand of nuts

Seems from the grams you listed your also doing portion control and I think this really doesn't sound primal at all. I would like to see the marcro breakdown % carb, fat, protein of your diet.

I'm 6'5" 208lbs. I can eat a breakfast of 3 egg, bacon, left over steak, peas, spinach. do an IF during the day (about 12hrs) all while cycling to and from work (8miles) and doing some complex lifts when I get home and never suffer from low energy.

Can you add more fat and protein and cut out some of the sugary fruit?
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

That's the challenge, my body doesn't fuel well on fat and protein yet, that's why I depend on eating all-day-every-day.
    Plus, I have low-body fat. My body grew up on this food-dependent diet for 23 years.
    I used to eat about 150 grams of meat a day. Now I ramped it up to around 450 grams of meat and a couple eggs.
    So I should increase meat/fish/egg consumption even more?
    I also read that spinach/witloof and broccoli have a pretty high protein level for a veggie, maybe increase those too, as well as adding stuff like organic protein bars (although these have quite a high carb content too)?

Have you attempted a few weeks where you upped your fat/protein and limit the sugar yet? If not I would head that route. Yeah your going to go thru a sort of withdraw period where energy may be lowered, but after that your body should be primed and ready to go on just the fat/protein.

I would definitely up your fatty meat consumption and limit if not cut the sugar fruits.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    What is "primal cereal"? Kind of an oxymoron.

You might want to try just ripping that sugar bandaid. It might mean a few rough days, but ditching the fruit for a while to speed your transition might be something to consider.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Found a recent entry of mine on FitDay for macro breakdown on some day:

Grams Calories %-Cals
    Calories 3,418
    Fat 155.0 1,367 40 %
    Saturated 55.2 489 14 %
    Polyunsaturated 24.2 211 6 %
    Monounsaturated 60.8 536 16 %
    Carbohydrate 329.6 1,260 37 %
    Dietary Fiber 54.2
    Protein 203.6 821 24 %

Fat (40%) Carbs (37%) Protein (24%)

Calorie intake was quite high for me on this day.

And here's another day:
    Grams Calories %-Cals
    Calories 2,888
    Fat 94.4 828 29 %
    Saturated 25.0 221 8 %
    Polyunsaturated 14.9 128 4 %
    Monounsaturated 38.5 337 12 %
    Carbohydrate 321.6 1,222 43 %
    Dietary Fiber 53.3
    Protein 204.0 813 28 %

Fat (29%) Carbs (43%) Protein (28%)

I read that in Primal diet carb grams should be around 100-150, but this feels very unrealistic to me. I think the potatoes and fruits are what increase my carb percentage the most... but I don't want to restrict to many foods from my diet.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edje Noh View Post
    Found a recent entry of mine on FitDay for macro breakdown on a some day:

Grams Calories %-Cals
    Calories 3,418
    Fat 155.0 1,367 40 %
    Saturated 55.2 489 14 %
    Polyunsaturated 24.2 211 6 %
    Monounsaturated 60.8 536 16 %
    Carbohydrate 329.6 1,260 37 %
    Dietary Fiber 54.2
    Protein 203.6 821 24 %

Fat (40%) Carbs (37%) Protein (24%)

Calorie intake was quite high for me on this day.

And here's another day:
    Grams Calories %-Cals
    Calories 2,888
    Fat 94.4 828 29 %
    Saturated 25.0 221 8 %
    Polyunsaturated 14.9 128 4 %
    Monounsaturated 38.5 337 12 %
    Carbohydrate 321.6 1,222 43 %
    Dietary Fiber 53.3
    Protein 204.0 813 28 %

Fat (29%) Carbs (43%) Protein (28%)

I read that in Primal diet carb grams should be around 100-150, but this feels very unrealistic to me.
    I think the potatoes and fruits are what increase my carb percentage the most... but I don't want to restrict to many foods from my diet.
    I think you will find that most people following the PB try to keep their fat percentage around 50% or greater. This is not necessarily a low-carb way of eating, but you are still eating pretty high carbs and providing your body with carbs as its main source of energy, so you cannot really expect it to run on anything else.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    What is "primal cereal"? Kind of an oxymoron.

You might want to try just ripping that sugar bandaid. It might mean a few rough days, but ditching the fruit for a while to speed your transition might be something to consider.
    Agree 100%

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    you will feel crappy the first few days you lower your sugary carbs, but after that you will feel fantastic! seriously, i feel the best when my fat is 60%. protein 30% and carbs 10%. it is easy to keep your carbs low even with one serving of fruit and lots of veggies. hang in there!

peacheater is offline Member
    More than 300 g of carbs! No wonder you're having strong sugar and carb cravings. 100-150 g is very realistic -- I manage to eat under 50 g a day because I'm actively trying to lose weight. All you need to do is to ditch and the fruit and fruit juices, cut down on the potatoes, and eat more fat and protein. For example, have a 2-3 egg omelette for breakfast, loaded up with your favorite veggies and cheese. Maybe have some sausage on the side. For lunch a large salad, with maybe a piece of chicken or fish. And then for dinner cook up some more meat, with some sort of side non-starchy veggie plus maybe a sweet potato. Snack on berries or melon or nuts. It'll be dead easy to stay under 150 g and your carb cravings will lessen. You really have to go a bit all or nothing with this -- it's not one of those things where you do better when you transition gently -- believe me on this. Cutting out all fruit for a couple of weeks might also help you. And as for growing up on a low-fat, low-protein diet, so did most of us really. Everyone bought the CW and dutifully ate lots of grains and little fat. The time to change this is now.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast