Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Reduce the Booze journal page

supersellen is offline Senior Member

My Reduce the Booze journal

Primal Fuel
    Hey Folks,

I have been at the primal thing for almost a year now (yay!) and am just now starting a journal because I need some accountability in a few departments. Here is my brief back story..

I have always been an avid back packer, but a 500 mile trip in 2004, when I was 21 was my last long trip. I had always worked in restaurants, and all of that moving slowly and few meals allowed me to stay within a nice weight range for a long time, not that weight is in any way a barometer for health. The restaurant lifestyle unfortunately created an unhealthy relationship with alcohol for me.

In 2008 I married and took a desk job and gained about 15 lbs. I began to focus on eating whole foods from good sources. My husband was a chef and began to teach me how to cook. This was life-changing for me, because I found real joy in cooking that I did not anticipate, and it has remained a big part of my life and our relationship.

Fast-foward to Spring 2010. I decided that I wanted to look great and be strong. I had seen the infomercials for the P90X program and decided to jump in with both feet. I followed the diet to a T (to the tune of about $500 in groceries a month for just me) and missed only 1 workout in 90 days. I lost some weight and got very strong and lean. I really did not anticipate looking that great at the end of just 3 months. The downside? I became infertile due to lack of body fat and had no clue how to eat, since I had been taking in a couple hundred grams of protein a day and almost zero fat. I also was extremely burned out!

I floundered for a month trying to figure out what do until I came across the primal/paleo diet in a thread on MDC (mothering.com). I started reading and could not stop! I dropped the grains, legumes, and sugar from my diet, except for the occasional crap...and booze. I continued to drink beer wine and liquor on a daily basis. I was able to get my body fat back up and began getting my period again. I became fearful of working out too hard, so I lost most of the strength I had gained doing p90x.

So, now we arrive at the reason for this journal...Primal eating has made me feel great in the past year. I have no more reflux, no energy swings, and feel more emotionally stable in general. I had a great experience doing Whole30 in January. I find myself eating bad stuff more often than I would like to, like once a week. This happens primarily because my hubby (also primal) and I tend to enable each other to make shitty choices, and we still drink a lot, which often leads to cravings. I am at a point where I MUST learn to control the drinking. I find myself lying about how much I drink to family and friends, which is a serious red flag. I generally drink 6 days a week and typically have 3 drinks on those days. I am able to stop for a month at a time completely, but always fall back into the routine. So, I am searching for some accountability and hope that this journal will provide that for me.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Maurabela is offline Member
    Hey SS! I have the same issues regarding alcohol. I will be keeping up with your journal!

Hi Maurabela! It is nice the see someone with similar issues. This doesn't seem to come up much on these forums in particular.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Read up on Leptin! From what I can tell it is THE hormone that controls pretty mush everything else. Leptin resistance is the key...I have seen some info on how it impacts menstrual cycles of women on low carb diets. And it also contributes to cravings associated with drinking.

Leptin hormone for obesity and weight loss by Ray Sahelian, M.D.

How Leptin Resistance Affects Obesity

Good luck!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

Quote Originally Posted by Littlesigh View Post
    Read up on Leptin! From what I can tell it is THE hormone that controls pretty mush everything else. Leptin resistance is the key...I have seen some info on how it impacts menstrual cycles of women on low carb diets. And it also contributes to cravings associated with drinking.

Leptin hormone for obesity and weight loss by Ray Sahelian, M.D.

How Leptin Resistance Affects Obesity

Good luck!
    This is something I never would have thought about, thanks for posting.

People with psoriasis have higher levels of the hormone leptin, which regulates food intake, body weight, and fat stores and is also thought to play a role in immune and inflammatory processes. Those elevated leptin levels may in turn make them more likely to become obese or develop high blood pressure, diabetes, and other heart disease risk factors.
    This part is very interesting to me, because I have severe psoriasis. As I have put on more body fat after doing p90x, it has become worse. I wonder if it is possible to develop leptin resistance from doing something like an intense exercise regimen combined with an extremely low fat diet.

dharma is offline Junior Member
    I know something about this.
    Suggestion: go online and try taking a few of those "you might be an alcoholic if" quizzes, and answer honestly.
    If you score high, try going to an addiction counsellor, or (cheaper!) call an AA hotline to chat with someone knowledgeable, or go to an open AA meeting. If at a meeting, just say you are not an alcoholic, but are there to learn. If they sound like your kind of people, you might be in the right place to properly address your level of addiction.
    If you are an addictive personality (too much is never enough) then this might save you a few years of increasing desperation and ill-health.
    If not, an initial burst of will power and changing habits around shopping and eating/drinking will be able to help. You've already done that kind of change, so you know it is possible.
    If addicted, will power alone will not effect any permanent change.
    I'm impressed with your level of clarity and openness.
    Good luck with this.
    Dharma

Dharma - Thanks so much for the encouragement. I kind of feel like this public journaling is my last effort to get control of things alone (although I know I will have the support of the great folks on this forum). I know for certain that if I do not reduce my alcohol intake drastically, then I will have to remove it from my life altogether.

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    Hi Maurabela! It is nice the see someone with similar issues. This doesn't seem to come up much on these forums in particular.
    +1. And the thing is I know it leads to craving crappy stuff. I am my own worst enemy! Keep us posted, we're all here to support each other.

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    This is something I never would have thought about, thanks for posting.

This part is very interesting to me, because I have severe psoriasis. As I have put on more body fat after doing p90x, it has become worse. I wonder if it is possible to develop leptin resistance from doing something like an intense exercise regimen combined with an extremely low fat diet.
    I am on my second reading of "Master Leptin" by Byron Rhichards which I highly suggest. He is not strictly Primal but does say to reduce the simple Carbs/Sugars and has 5 rules to follow which make sense.
    Never eat after dinner
    Eat three meals a day
    Do not eat large meals
    Eat protein at breakfast
    Reduce amount of Carbs

More detail in the book but it is very well written. Check out more at his website
    The Five Rules of The Leptin DietŪ | Weight Loss News

On alcohol... being 10 years sober now I can say.. just stop.... but know what is involved with stopping I can also say find some form of support, friends, social or professional. I was lucky in a sense as my problem became physical with a bad liver so it was easier to just say no... only got one liver! And if you are trying to control leptin and weight and life in general the MOST important organ..ouside the heart.. is the liver!

Good luck!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First day under my belt.

B - 2 eggs scrambled with chicken and bleu cheese, decaf w/ splash coconut milk.
    L - Mahi Mahi simmered in curry, coconut milk and tomatoes w/ kale. 1/3 cup greek yogurt w/ blueberries.
    D - Meat balls with marinara over zucchini "pasta".

Booze - NONE!

Tuesdays and Thursdays have always been typical cocktail evenings for me, as my hubby is in school until late in the evening, so it definitely feels like a small victory.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast