Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My Reduce the Booze journal page 2

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Friday nights are a hard one for me, so I am posting simply as an affirmation.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Maurabela is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    First day under my belt.

B - 2 eggs scrambled with chicken and bleu cheese, decaf w/ splash coconut milk.
    L - Mahi Mahi simmered in curry, coconut milk and tomatoes w/ kale. 1/3 cup greek yogurt w/ blueberries.
    D - Meat balls with marinara over zucchini "pasta".

Booze - NONE!

Tuesdays and Thursdays have always been typical cocktail evenings for me, as my hubby is in school until late in the evening, so it definitely feels like a small victory.
    Great job!! Yay you! I know today will be tough (damn you Friday Fun Night!), but I know you can stay strong! Best of luck!

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    This happens primarily because my hubby (also primal) and I tend to enable each other to make shitty choices, and we still drink a lot, which often leads to cravings. I am at a point where I MUST learn to control the drinking. I find myself lying about how much I drink to family and friends, which is a serious red flag. I generally drink 6 days a week and typically have 3 drinks on those days. I am able to stop for a month at a time completely, but always fall back into the routine. So, I am searching for some accountability and hope that this journal will provide that for me
    SS- this is exactly how my wife and I rolled. All it would take was for one of us to come home and say "I don't feel like cooking and the Rockies/Avs are playing so let's go grab a beer." and we were off to the races... I could never really curb my drinking and it was most of the reason for my weight gain. I could snowboard 40+ days a season and still had a beer belly as my beer consumption nullified the amount I rode.

The only thing that has limited our nights out and drinking was having our son 7 months ago. I know the struggle you're going through and I hope you find a way to enjoy the drinks without it getting out of hand. Best of luck!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks so much for the encouragement guys! Yesterday was a another good day..

Workout: 3 mile barefoot run, stopping for sets of push-ups at every 1/2 mile marker.

B - 2 eggs scrambled with chicken, zucchini, and bleu cheese. Decaf w/ splash coconut milk
    L - Mahi Mahi simmered in curry, coconut milk, and tomatoes with kale. Handful of homemade sweet potato chips.
    D - Meatballs with marinara and zucchini "pasta".

Booze - NONE!
    I'm not gonna lie, it was tough, especially with my husband enjoying his regular Friday beers next to me all evening. A tall glass of sparkling water with a squeeze of lime got me through the worst of the cravings.

I have a full day of an art festival and then a concert planned today, but I am going to limit my drinks to one at the concert, which would shock anyone that knows me! Normally I would have a couple of early afternoon cocktails to "get ready" for the festival, have a couple at the festival, have a couple with dinner, and then have more than a couple at the concert, ending up with a drink count around 10 for the day typically. Because I would have had 4-5 drinks by the time I got to dinner, my body would be crying for junk food and more carbs, and I end up splurging and getting something like a regular burger and fries at whatever restaurant we go to. Thanks for listening, I am finding that honesty is liberating.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Maurabela is offline Member
    Good morning SS!! You are doing so great and you're motivating me to get my consumption in check as well.

The art festival sounds like a blast -- are you an artist? I am also going to a concert tonight, but at a catholic high school so probably no alcohol served there, so that works! Have fun today

WinkBlu is offline Member
    Count me in as well! Although I have been Primal (mostly) since Jan, the booze needs to go I want to be 110% primal, so as of tomorrow I've decided to do my own 30 day challenge. No drinks, no shots, no smokes for 30 days! Will be following your thread, hopefully to encourage you as well as motivate myself
    "As if you could kill time without injuring eternity"

Primal Journal *WinkBlu*

Maurabela - I am an artist, but not in the sense that I make a dime doing it!

WinkBlu - Hi! Good luck on your 30 day challenge, keep me updated!

Ok, accountability time...

Workout: LOTS of moving slowly. Started moving at 11 am and did not stop until 2 am.

B - 2 scrambled eggs, 2 almond pancakes with banana-blueberry compote, black coffee.
    L - none
    D - Salad with steak, bacon, and blue cheese.
    S - Couple spoonfuls of greek yogurt when I got home at 2 a.m.

Booze - Ok, so I did not stick to the one drink, but I did so good I am still really proud of myself, even though I did not meet my exact goal. I had one beer at the art festival, one beer at the concert, and then ended up backstage hanging out with the crew for a big name show (my brother n-law is a roadie) when they started an impromptu bluegrass jam session by the artists' buses that lasted 3 hours. I ended up having 1 1/2 drinks during that 3 hour period after the concert. This was despite having booze literally shoved in my face every 10 minutes. That kind of social situation is like my kryptonite, so I really have to pat myself on the back for holding back. I just have to add that the tour is sponsored by a huge American beer company, so we ended up with several cases of beer to bring home, yay. <--insert sarcasm there. So anyway, the drink count for my 14 hour day was 3 1/2 drinks. It is not the one beer I had planned on, but it is certainly not the 10-15 drinks that it normally would have been under those circumstances, so yay me

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You're showing great willpower!

Yay you!!!

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Hey Supersellen,

The fact that you are writing about this and keeping it at the forefront of your life is a big plus.... nothing I am sure you don't already know.

One thing you may not be consciously aware of though is how much habit plays into ..well changing your habit... I know sounds stupid. But get this, part of the reason that makes AA so successful is that you end up changing habits without ever fully realizing how you are infact, changing habits. This is done through ritual, in the case of AA it is about release to some higher power accomplished through 12 steps. But a key to changing any habit is to "act repeatedly as if from habit"(the ritual) and wait until the habit-to-be becomes a fixed behavior, which is found long after it actually happens. Sounds funny huh! A paradoxical way of thinking, but that is what it takes.... I guess it would be like acting as if it has always been, the way you want it to be. Acting from a past that you want your furture to be, not the past that you are currently dealing with day to day.

Sorry, I know that probably seems really crazy, and not somethig you want to even try to deal with, but having been down the road it is the way I try to help. :-) I am a deep thinker, which was always part of my ritual for survival.

Keep going... never give up! You can ALWAYS set the beer down.

Namaste!
    Dave
    Living the dream, inside a myth

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlesigh View Post
    Hey Supersellen,

The fact that you are writing about this and keeping it at the forefront of your life is a big plus.... nothing I am sure you don't already know.

One thing you may not be consciously aware of though is how much habit plays into ..well changing your habit... I know sounds stupid. But get this, part of the reason that makes AA so successful is that you end up changing habits without ever fully realizing how you are infact, changing habits. This is done through ritual, in the case of AA it is about release to some higher power accomplished through 12 steps. But a key to changing any habit is to "act repeatedly as if from habit"(the ritual) and wait until the habit-to-be becomes a fixed behavior, which is found long after it actually happens. Sounds funny huh! A paradoxical way of thinking, but that is what it takes.... I guess it would be like acting as if it has always been, the way you want it to be. Acting from a past that you want your furture to be, not the past that you are currently dealing with day to day.

Sorry, I know that probably seems really crazy, and not somethig you want to even try to deal with, but having been down the road it is the way I try to help. :-) I am a deep thinker, which was always part of my ritual for survival.

Keep going... never give up! You can ALWAYS set the beer down.

Namaste!
    Dave
    This is not crazy at all, retracing the same habits over and over certainly sets anyone up for failure. But like developing any other habit, creating a new one to replace the existing will take some time. I am currently trying to discover which habits have me where I am. My first very important discovery is that if I avoid drinking for the first 2 hour window that I normally start (5 pm - 7pm), I am good to go for the rest of the evening. So filling those 2 hours with a new habit has become a big focus. Powering through them with willpower is just not going to hold up.

I really appreciate your words and advice.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast