Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Nitha_Ni) page

Nitha_Ni is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (Nitha_Ni)

Shop Now
    Hi All!

I just joined this forum yesterday and started changing my diet around. Not going to go into the whole history bit again - if anyone wants the full story (and I mean the FULL story - it's a long post), check out the Meet and Greet section

I'm only *partially* sure of what to put down here, so this is going to be a work in progress for some time, until I get a format down that works for me. For now, I'm kind of basing it off of the 10 rules, just slightly modified. But first, some basics:

Name: Pranita (I go by Nitha or Narp as well)
    Height: 5'4"
    Heighest weight (Nov 2010): 222lbs (the series of 2's almost made me giggle)
    Starting weight (as of yesterday): 210lbs
    A couple of significant diagnoses - PCOS, Insulin Resistance, IBS

I've found that the PCOS is getting better just from cutting out carbs since November. Off of birth control and, while they're not at the point where I can count days like some people I know, my cycle is coming on something of a regular basis again. Hopefully the other two will diminish with all of these changes as well (from what I've read, it seems like that's happened for a few people...)

Okay, now, onto yesterday:

Food
    Breakfast - a few slices of summer sausage (I really need to check the ingredients on this - I'm not sure what is in it...)
    Lunch - Salad (Spinach, Broccoli, Bell Peppers, Cucumbers, Cherry Tomatoes, Onions, Chicken, Ham, Egg, Oil and Balsalmic Vinegar - something about this didn't agree with my stomach. I was definitely sick for a few hours after this)
    Pre-Dinner (I was REALLY hungry when I got home) - a couple handfuls of Pistacios
    Dinner - Hamburger pattie w/ guacamole and pico
    A few hours after dinner - more pistacious and some rasberries

Something about lunch made me sick, which was kind of suprising. I don't think I've ever reacted that way to a salad - but it was also the first time I tried putting oil and vinegar on my salad. I may just leave it alone for a few days and chalk it up to a change in diet (which my stomach has never reacted well to) and see where I am in a few days. Otherwise, I may need to start cutting out the vinegar or the oil (hopefully not both).

Exercise/Sunlight/Play
    I think this is always going to be the biggest hurdle for me. I didn't do any specific exercising. I did make an effort to take stairs instead of elevators during the day, but having a desk job usually means you don't move around a whole lot. I did also make an effort to do as much walking as I could outside (work campus has a lot of underground tunnels connecting every building to each other - I was trying not to take them yesterday) - I probably got more sun than usual, but I'm not sure if it was enough.

Sleep
    Slept a lot last night, which was a nice change. I did have to kick the cats out of my room to do it, though. I never sleep quite as soundly when they sleep on the bed next to me. Still debating whether or not I should do that every night or if I should try and slowly get used to them being around - hopefully when I'm used to them I'll sleep more while they're nearby.

Trauma/Posionous Things
    I've always been a worry wart I think it comes with the territory of an anxiety disorder. I don't know how to not imagine the worst case scenario and take steps to make sure something bad doesn't happen (though a lot of time that means just NOT doing anything at all). Nothing of note on that front for yesterday. In terms of poisonous thing, just a note to myself: AVOID the desert line in the cafeteria at work. Really - just don't look. It will do you no good.

Mind
    I honestly think I OVERuse my mind at work sometimes, and typically when I come home the last thing I want to do is try and work it anymore. I should probably find a way to change that. Definitely didn't do much of anything last night, other than reading PB

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Nitha! (I'm gonna stalk you girl)

re: the anxiety - do you take any supplements? if you're open to it, I would suggest taking magnesium (there are a bunch of threads in the forum), because it helps 'reverse' IR and can also help with sleep and anxiety! I almost feel like I'm 'cheating at life' by taking it sometimes, haha.

I hadn't heard of magnesium before, so I will have to check that out. Currently taking a multivitamin, fish oil tablets, and vitamin D, so I have no problem with supplements I will have to check out magnesium as well!

And please, stalk away! It gives me someone to talk to! (and if you haven't figured out already, I like to talk )

Hi All,

Back again for another day I still need to get myself over to a grocery store to try out the magnesium, but I haven't managed to do so yet. Here's how yesterday went:

Food
    Breakfast: California Cutie (I LOVE these things) and some Pistacios
    Lunch: I got a salad like yesterdays, but I only really picked at it. I HAD be hungry about an hour before I got to lunch, but I was stuck in a meeting and couldn't get away. By the time I got to the cafeteria, I wasn't really hungry anymore.
    Pre-Dinner: Pistacios
    Dinner: Same as yesterday as well (there were leftovers )
    Post-Dinner: Dark Chocolate

Still a little sick to my stomach after lunch yesterday - something about that salad just doesn't agree with me. I'm going to try getting rid of the balsalmic vinegar and seeing how things go today (assuming I'm hungry for lunch...) I had a massive craving for chocolate after dinner yesterday - not sure why, but I had to have something, so that's what it ended up being. At least that's the last of it in my apartment.

Exercise/Sunlight/Play
    I'm just trying to work a little more movement into my day-to-day life. I have an 8-hour (more like 10-hour most days) desk job that doesn't really afford much movement. IT Industry usually means you spend far too long staring at a computer screen. I did park on the other side of the parking garage so I had to walk through it more, as well as taking the stairs whenever I could. I was outside as much as I could be when I was walking between buildings. Then, after work yesterday, I decided to take a little adventure. I had been toying with the idea of starting to walk to the grocery store and Target that are nearby my apartment (they're the two stores I most frequent). Grocery store is litterally right across the street - but I had never bothered to walk there, always just jumping in the car. Target is a little further, but not a bad distance. So I decided to experiment a little yesterday and walk to the Target, just to see how far away it was and how long it would take. I was expecting to take 45 minutes to an hour to get there. Yeah - it took me about 15 minutes. Apparently I'm a bad judge of distances on foot! I walked there, wandered around the store a bit, and then walked back. It was barely 45 minutes by the time I got home. I was kind of dissapointed - I was expecting a much longer walk! But I think I'll start walking to the grocery store and Target from now on, instead of driving up to them Seems like a pretty easy way to get some extra walking in.

Sleep
    Not so good last night. I was on my computer until about 9pm and knew I wasn't going to fall asleep right away after that, so I found an old book of mine to read for a little bit. Well, a little bit turned into reading until midnight...when I finally did fall asleep, the cats kept waking me up by yowling outside my door. Woke up two or three times to shoo them away. All-in-all, not a very good night of sleep for me.

Trauma/Posionous Things
    Walking along the side of the road to get to Target certainly FELT like a big risk in my head, but I was on the sidewalk next to the road, and on the furthest edge of the sidewalk that you could get from the road. The only way a car would hit if me if it was aiming for me!

Mind
    This really got nothing yesterday. I was beat when I got home. Vegged out in front of the TV and computer and really didn't do much of anything. Will probably be the same way tonight, honestly.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Hi Nitha! Welcome, and good luck on your journey! It really doesn't look like you are eating much at all, which could be why you are not feeling great and a little queasy.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Really? But I'm never hungry past all of that...maybe add more oil or butter to the meals as they are now? Cause I don't think I could eat much more if I wanted to! Thank you for the advice!
    ~Nitha

Starting Weight (4/13): 210lbs
    Current Weight (4/13): 210lbs

Goal: To look in the mirror and like what I see.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    What is a california cutie?

You might want to try downloading f.lux onto your computer.... after sunset, the light from the computer screen becomes more yellow and less blue, and so computer use interferes with your circadian rhythm less, and I've found that it's easier for me to get to sleep ever since I started using it.

+1 on incorporating moving slowly into your daily routine! My friends who think that you *have* to go to the gym to 'work out' are kind of annoyed/confused by the fact that I've stopped going to the gym and am losing weight when I didn't before, haha. I prefer just walking outside, especially now that it's spring, and it's easier on the feet than being on an elliptical machine is too.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Welcome! I'm new too...I'm also ravenous all the time. You definitely seem to not be eating enough, but I guess listening to your body is really the key, right? Also we don't know what your portion sizes are! Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    What is a california cutie?

You might want to try downloading f.lux onto your computer.... after sunset, the light from the computer screen becomes more yellow and less blue, and so computer use interferes with your circadian rhythm less, and I've found that it's easier for me to get to sleep ever since I started using it.

+1 on incorporating moving slowly into your daily routine! My friends who think that you *have* to go to the gym to 'work out' are kind of annoyed/confused by the fact that I've stopped going to the gym and am losing weight when I didn't before, haha. I prefer just walking outside, especially now that it's spring, and it's easier on the feet than being on an elliptical machine is too.
    California Cutie is kind of like a tangerine. They're pretty close, at least, and I think they're DELICIOUS! One of my favorite fruits, and this coming from a girl that isn't that fond of fruit!

I downloaded f.lux as soon as I read your post. We'll see how it works tonight. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by tanyayogi View Post
    Welcome! I'm new too...I'm also ravenous all the time. You definitely seem to not be eating enough, but I guess listening to your body is really the key, right? Also we don't know what your portion sizes are! Good luck
    Yeah, but I'm also very good at not knowing what my body is trying to tell me - it wouldn't be the first time that I just didn't notice that I was hungry. I will try and include portion sizes in my next post - that's another thing I'm not so good at, but I'm trying to learn Thanks for your reply!
    ~Nitha

Starting Weight (4/13): 210lbs
    Current Weight (4/13): 210lbs

Goal: To look in the mirror and like what I see.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and best of luck on your primal adventure! I would recommend taking control of your stress (worrying) as soon as possible. It's easy to start; take 1 minutes out of your day to have nothing else going on, breathe deeply, and if you start worrying then gently remind yourself to focus on the positive. With time, your mind will start to take the cues more and more often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast