Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are bras really needed?

Hybrid View

Are bras really needed?

Just pondering whether bra wearing is CW? Beyond corraling the jigglers for exercise, I wonder if there is any real difference in what happens to breasts of women in developed vs undeveloped cultures. Especially since wearing bras is fairly recent in historical terms.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

I have an H cup. For me, a bra is necessary if I want to go out and check the mail, much less jog.

Quote Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
    I have an H cup. For me, a bra is necessary if I want to go out and check the mail, much less jog.
    LOL you basically just posted exactly what I was going to

Having said that, I do yoga before bed braless in my jamas. Have to remember to not jump into the postures though lol. And yes my husband does enjoy watching me, I have a white jama top and have been known to joke that maybe I should pour a glass of water over myself lol. I like to change into my night clothes for the evening because the heavy duty underwiring does get a bit annoying by the end of the day.

Mine do sag but that's inevitable for someone who was naturally large breasted and then gained a large amount of weight very rapidly, and has the type of skin that forms stretchmarks rather than being elastic. Unavoidable really.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 04-20-2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

I'm with Drain - a bra is a must for me.
    That being said, I do wonder if this was an issue for our ancestors. I have two daughters and it seems girls these days develop at a much larger and faster rate than girls used to. I wonder if it is all the hormones in our food? We used to joke it was something in the chicken nuggets...but I'm starting to think it really is something in the chicken nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by teelea View Post
    I'm with Drain - a bra is a must for me.
    That being said, I do wonder if this was an issue for our ancestors. I have two daughters and it seems girls these days develop at a much larger and faster rate than girls used to. I wonder if it is all the hormones in our food? We used to joke it was something in the chicken nuggets...but I'm starting to think it really is something in the chicken nuggets.
    It's the BPA and other xenoestrogens from plastic that's in our foods.

It causes girls to develop and more so than they would have, but also causes a lot of problems for men's development. Testosterone levels are abysmal in developed countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Just pondering whether bra wearing is CW? Beyond corraling the jigglers for exercise, I wonder if there is any real difference in what happens to breasts of women in developed vs undeveloped cultures. Especially since wearing bras is fairly recent in historical terms.
    Unless you have very small breasts gravity takes its toll. Bras help slow down the process. It's also mighty uncomfortable exercising without one and the feeling of sweaty skin on skin is gross. Not to mention that it's a fungal infection just waiting to happen. So yes, for many women bras are a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Unless you have very small breasts gravity takes its toll. Bras help slow down the process.
    even if you don't, gravity ruins everything! especially with a lot of weight loss, or rapid weight loss. mine were toast at age 22. if i don't wear one, I look like I'm 86. I deal with it, but I've been conditioned to think that's not the way they should look at my age, so I wear one.

Quote Originally Posted by bix View Post
    even if you don't, gravity ruins everything! especially with a lot of weight loss, or rapid weight loss. mine were toast at age 22. if i don't wear one, I look like I'm 86. I deal with it, but I've been conditioned to think that's not the way they should look at my age, so I wear one.
    I agree 100% Mine arent as pretty as they could be because of big weight loss. Ive found silly amounts of push ups have helped pretty them up a bit. My arms are pretty saggy as well courtesy of rapid weight loss. OH well I would rather the sag than the extra weight!!
    If Someone was following in your footsteps, where would you be leading them?

Wearing bras is recent (~100 years), but wearing supportive undergarments has a significantly longer history. However, I don't think they're necessary for health at all. They're a cultural norm that has been reinforced to the point that many women feel immodest if they go without. They also increase comfort for women with larger breasts, from what I understand, although I know other busty women who go without, so that may also be a personal thing.

Bra wearing doesn't actually prevent long-term sagging (but helps disguise it). There's also some suggestion that constrictive bras may contribute to breast cancer, but that may be more related to too-small bras that severely constrict the area (and whether bras are related to cancer at all isn't conclusive).

My solution has been to wear a very light sport bra for most days. I started wearing them while travelling in hot climates and decided that they offered a good combination of support and mobility for me. I have a couple of fancier ones for times when I want the full-out effect of a good bra or for under clothing where the sport bra won't work.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Bra wearing doesn't actually prevent long-term sagging (but helps disguise it).
    Exactly. That said, if you have even medium-size boobs it can be uncomfortable (and is considered unprofessional) to go braless.