Thread: Lamb Shank Casserole. page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Lamb Shank Casserole.

Shop Now
    This was yesterdays supper - and absolutely delicious - also, couldn't be easier!

2 lamb shanks (end of leg - quite meatoy). Two onions, coarsely chopped. 3 peeled carrots cut into chunks, 3 small peeled turnips cut into chunks, two potates peeled and cut in chunks, 2 or 3 big sprigs rosemary, salt and pepper, water, worcester sauce, turmeric. Chopped parsley.

Take a Le Creuset type casserole dish (dutch oven) that the lamb shanks fit comfortably in, with room for the veg. Put the two sprigs of rosemary in, lay the lamb on top, surround with the veg, poking it in among the meat, sprinkle with salt, pepper and about a teaspoon of turmeric, shake about a teaspoon or two of worcestershire sauce over, and pour in enough boiling water in to come up to about an inch below the top of the veg etc. Bring to a boil, cover with lid, put into a preheated oven, 170 C (340F) and cook for 1.5 hours. Remove from oven, turn the lamb shanks over and stir veg gently, cover again and out back for a further 45 minutes.

Remove, sprinkle generously with the chopped parsley and serve.

Super easy, and quite the best thing I've eaten for weeks!
    Last edited by breadsauce; 04-15-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Looks great, will give that a try. Thanks for posting.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I keep reading that as "Land Shark" LOL.

Hmmm, I bet Land Shark's pretty tasty.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Sounds delicious. I also cooked some lamb shanks recently. I browned them in the dutch oven, then took them out and added in chopped carrot celery and onion, cooked for a few minutes, added garlic, cooked a minute more. Then added in 2 cups of chicken broth and ~1 cup of white wine, scraped the pan, added a bouquet garni of thmye and rosemary, then added the legs back. Put into a low temp oven for ~2 hours, turning the shanks halfway through as you suggest. Took out the shanks, then used my immersion blender to blend all the veggies up and reduced the sauce over high heat for ~10 minutes. After tasting I added a few dashes of clove. It also tastes good with a few raisins tossed in. It is absolutely delicious. All the collagen/geltain and connective tissue in the shanks makes the sauce super thick and gelatinous.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 04-14-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    oh man both those recipes sound good

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds delicious! I had lamb shanks today. I just chopped up 2 onions and threw in a big pot with the lamb pieces (which I got cheap on sell by date) and lambs liver. Added water and mixed herbs/thyme/salt and a ton of garlic. Cooked for 2 hours on the stove then added chantenay carrots and cooked for another hour. Had it with steamed cauliflower. Basic but yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Sounds delicious. I also cooked some lamb shanks recently. I browned them in the dutch oven, then took them out and added in chopped carrot celery and onion, cooked for a few minutes, added garlic, cooked a minute more. Then added in 2 cups of chicken broth and ~1 cup of white wine, scraped the pan, added a bouquet garni of thmye and rosemary, then added the legs back. Put into a low temp oven for ~2 hours, turning the shanks halfway through as you suggest. Took out the shanks, then used my immersion blender to blend all the veggies up and reduced the sauce over high heat for ~10 minutes. After tasting I added a few dashes of clove. It also tastes good with a few raisins tossed in. It is absolutely delicious. All the collagen/geltain and connective tissue in the shanks makes the sauce super thick and gelatinous.
    I usually brown things first but in this case I didn't - and I actually preferred it! Made it super easy too - hardly any prepping!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Lamb and beef shanks are great; very tasty. All that rosemary is a great idea; will give it a try.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Lamb and beef shanks are great; very tasty. All that rosemary is a great idea; will give it a try.
    Thanks for pointing out my error - I didn't mean 32 sprigs - I meant 2 or 3 !!!!

Corrected now....