Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Regrowth page

bokbadok is offline Senior Member

Hair Regrowth

Shop Now
    I've been 80/20 or better Primal since early October 2010.

So... In February I noticed that I had about a 1/2-inch long shock of hair growing at my widow's peak... and I don't remember having much of a widow's peak before. It's now about an inch long. It looks kind of funny being so short, but it is all the same length, which would seem to indicate that it started growing at about the same time. At some point before that (possibly December), I realized that I no longer have many scores of hairs come loose in my hands when I wash and rinse my hair in the shower. I initially thought it was due to a change in shampoo (from cheap stuff to expensive salon type), but with this obvious regrowth at the widow's peak, I'm rethinking this. My hairstylist looked at me in horror when I showed her my little patch of new hair-- she had no explanation for it.

Having been mild to moderately hypothyroid for at least 10 years, I am wondering if I used to have hair at my widow's peak and just forgot I did... and now my thyroid is healing so it is regrowing?

Is there something else that might cause me to stop losing and regrow hair like this?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    maybe you've increased iron/ferritin levels? and enough of the right nutrients in general.

i'm actually in the opposite boat because i'm trying to get my ferritin levels up (from a very very low level) with supplementation, and even with eating red meat daily (and some liver weekly) i still don't even meet the RDA for iron (although i do for zinc, something else i was/am probably depleted of). i shed a lot of hair around the same time i initially went PB, but i think it was because of a combination of telogen effluvium due to losing weight + doing incredibly stupid things to my hair.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    I have PCOS/IR/low thyroid and when i lose weight my hair stops falling out and grows back better/fuller. I would say your body is healing and it is a good thing!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    I have PCOS/IR/low thyroid and when i lose weight my hair stops falling out and grows back better/fuller. I would say your body is healing and it is a good thing!
    I have PCOS & IR and also have male pattern baldness and my bald spot is filling in.
    Georgette

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, my hair is going back to being white blond, which it hasn't been since I was a child. I guess I should say it's getting lighter, I don't know where it will end up.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like a healing thing to me too - it takes months for the hair regrowth cycle to start up after a change, so the timing is right for that too.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I'm hypothyroid and lost a lot of hair. I'm lucky that it started super thick so now I'm down to an average amount. I'm starting to see little bits of regrowth, too. I'm hoping it continues. My hair also lost a lot of curl, which I didn't mind so much. It's still spirally but not so tight which is easier to manage. The new stuff appears to be really curly but I'm hoping that's just because it's short. If I get much more it's going to start looking really funny. I might have to crop it shorter while it grows in.

Paleobird Guest
    There could be an increased testosterone element at work here too.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    My partner has been balding for a few years now, but he has very soft, downy hairs regrowing in the bald patch and filling in where his hair was thinning. We've both been wondering if this WOE has anything to do with it. I know he's really hoping that it keeps coming back like that (I think he's a hottie either way, but I'm happy for him!).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

The Danny Roddy Weblog - Animal-Based Nutrition For Hair & Health

Don't know much about him, but his journey started with hair issues! I'm working through some of his posts now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast