Thread: Chicken with Dried Fruits and Honey page

spacedreamer01 is offline Junior Member

Chicken with Dried Fruits and Honey

Shop Now
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup dried fruit bits (I used chopped mango, turkish apricots, zahdi dates and raisins)
    1/4 cup organic honey
    1/3 cup water
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or fresh grated ginger)
    1tbsp cooking fat (butter, coconut oil, etc)

Heat fat in skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the chicken breast in the pumpkin pie spice (or ginger) and sear in pan 4 minutes. Add fruit, honey and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly and chicken is cooked through.

peril is offline Senior Member
    How much sugar, particularly fructose, is in that? How little fat? You're kidding yourself if you think that's primal
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

spacedreamer01 is offline Junior Member
    I'll admit it does have a lot of sugar. I made it for some friends at a dinner party who don't eat primal, so it was a sort of celebratory stretch of my primal eating - something to have on a very very occasional basis. Also there's only 6 grams of fat and 3 of saturated fat in one serving. No need to be so harsh =(
    Last edited by spacedreamer01; 04-13-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member
    Only? That's the point. Needs to be more fat and less sugar.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that really is a ton of sugar, and I am not trying to be harsh at all.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    How much sugar, particularly fructose, is in that? How little fat? You're kidding yourself if you think that's primal
    There are all sorts of ways to be Primal. If it don't work for you, don't do it.

I, for one, think it sounds delicious and may give it a try when I decide I want a carby day.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum spacedreamer!

I'm sure the recipe is delcious, but as others have already mentioned, that is a LOT of sugar, especially for just two chicken breasts. A cup of raisins has over 100g of carbs, almost all sugar, and 0.25c of honey would add another 80. If that's two servings that ~90g of carbs, mostly sugar, per serving. To make matters worse, more than half of that sugar is from fructose instead of glucose. If you make it again, consider cutting waaaaay back on the dried fruit and honey and adding in some cream or butter. I cooked a super delicious chicken breast recipe a few weeks ago: Grilling: Chicken Involtini with Prosciutto and Basil | Serious Eats : Recipes
    I used sage instead of basil and pancetta instead of prosciutto and it still turned out great.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    A thought just struck me on this recipe... half the dried fruits and rehydrate them. You'll still get the delicious sweetness of dried fruit, but only half the weight, with about twice the volume. Plus rehydrating them will add moisture to the dish, which is a good thing.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    There are all sorts of ways to be Primal. If it don't work for you, don't do it.

I, for one, think it sounds delicious and may give it a try when I decide I want a carby day.

Yep. Exactly!