Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine and Cigars: HTownGirl's Primal Journey page

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member

Wine and Cigars: HTownGirl's Primal Journey

Day 18, time to start my Journal and hold myself accountable to the Primal World:

Feeling a bit tired this week--I guess the honeymoon phase is over, but I don't have any serious cravings. Everyone in my office is into Jolly Rancher candies this week, so I am overwhelmed by smells of Sour Watermelon and Sour Apple--lovely smells. To my co-workers' credit, no one has tried to sabotage me by offering one to me.

I think I'm smaller. I seem to be encountering a few bones that I didn't feel before, and my gut has definitely diminished.

Breakfast:
    Mediterranean Scramble - a diced tomato sauteed in EVOO, fresh oregano, garlic and 2 eggs, topped with feta crumbles.
    Diet Rockstar Energy Drink

Snack:
    A handful of cashews
    Monster Lo-Carb Energy drink (see a pattern here? I'm totally addicted to diet energy drinks)

Lunch:
    The express lunch from Thai Spice. Some kind of chicken soup in a fish sauce broth. Plus a sort of ground beef sauteed with peppers and onions, and a pork disk with squash and other vegetables, all topped with chili oil. Funny, they always ask me what kind of rice I want, and I always say, "One spoonful of Jasmine", even though I don't eat it (but I have to confess, I LOVE Jasmine rice)." For some reason it totally disrupts their routine if you ask for no rice!
    Iced tea w/lime, no sugar

Dinner:
    Spring Greens tossed with 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado, about 2 TBSP grated artisan cheddar cheese, tomato, a few chopped hazelnuts and vinaigrette.
    2 glasses Chardonnay (another pattern you will see repeated)

Dessert:
    1 Rocky Patel Edge Maduro (cigar) - probably technically categorized as poison, but it's a daily indulgence I won't even think about giving up right now--so relaxing and something I look forward to all day.

Exercise: None--my neuroma in my left foot is acting up. However, I did have to sprint for the bus this morning, neuroma or not, so that I wouldn't be late to work. Considering I had to park practically in another county at the Park 'n Ride lot, I would definitely consider this a true sprint.

Evening entertainment: American Idol and the continuous pet parade of dog and cats, In and Out, In and Out, In and Out....could I count this as exercise?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I hope primal goes well for you. Yeah, eventually you gotta give up the energy drinks and cigars. But some people have to ease into primal. I did.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Well, I'm considering the Energy Drinks, but the cigars are a no go. I was never a smoker until a couple of years ago, and I completely understand them now, as far as how satisfying it is to relax with a smoke. I don't feel too guilty, because you don't inhale, the tobacco is pure and they are very relaxing. I can't think it could be any worse than pot, which I've noticed a lot of people here indulge in.

Day 19 was probably my most challenging day (so far).

The stress at work was completely off the charts. I am amazed that I show up and do this every day, but my salary is good and pays the bills.

I woke up with a sugar craving and ended the day with one, so it's been a battle all the way today.

My foot is still killing me, far worse today than yesterday. I know I need to lay off of it for a couple of days, but I have not been able to do so. With everything going on this weekend, I'm hoping Sunday will be that day.

Breakfast:
    1 sausage patty with two eggs scrambled in butter. Topped with a little grated Artisan Cheddar cheese and just a wee bit of Shrirachi sauce (God, I love that stuff--need to find a recipe for a primal version of this)
    1 Diet Rockstar Energy drink

Snack:
    I was starving and stressed, so went downstairs to the little gift/snack shop to see if I could find something Primal and the best I could come up with was some Wasabi Soy Sauce almonds. They tasted great, but were roasted in soy oil and the spices had some sugar. Usually I have my own primal snacks handy, but I haven't had time to go to the grocery store this week.
    1 Monster Lo-Carb Energy drink--I was going to not do this today, but with the stress I caved. :-(

Lunch:
    Mixed salad (variety of lettuces and spinach) with eggs, bacon, a bit of grated swiss cheese, onions, red and yellow bell peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, pepperoncin and balsamic vinaigrette.
    Iced tea w/lemon, no sugar

Dinner:
    I made the Reader's recipe Pork Tenderloin with Cilantro Pesto
    Roasted Cauliflower w/Olive Oil and Thai Seasoning
    At first when I tasted the Cilantro Pesto, I didn't like it. It tasted to me like a wheatgrass shot in coconut milk (yuck). Then I decided to warm it a bit and the flavors really melded together and it was lovely.
    1 Glass Chardonnay

Dessert:
    Rocky Patel Edge Cigar and another glass of Chardonnay

Still had a terrible sweet tooth, so I had an apple and nibbled on two squares of a 92% Cacao chocolate bar with it. (I feel much better now.)

Upset I haven't been able to start the fitness plan, but the pain in my foot was really bad today. I did walk (limp) during my lunch break though. I'm hoping I don't end up at the podiatrist.

Not my best day, but overall I feel like I've been doing pretty well. I haven't yet succumbed to a sugary high-carb meal and hopeful that I won't.

Tomorrow will be a big challenge, with a friend in town--my first real meal out plus seeing my stepson and his band play tomorrow night at a bar.

I hate to say this, but my new lifestyle felt very much like a diet today. Hoping for better tomorrow.

But ending on a positive note, seeing two new dents in my stomach!

Oh, almost forgot. Had a discussion today about Pork Cracklins'. One of my co-workers regularly brings them to the office for everyone and we have all gotten quite addicted. I used to feel guilty, but today we were talking about them, and I piped up, "Oh they are so good for you!"

And another co-worker asserts, "Are you crazy, they are loaded with fat!"

I tried to explain about saturated fats and they all thought I was nuts. We'll see who laughs last....

outlaw48 is offline Member
    HTG, Welcome!

I love your vices. I think they're as good as any to have. Remember the 80/20 rule... you can go 80% Primal, 10% cigars, 10% wine.

I came to enjoy cigars last year... a co-worker of mine (an Eastern European fellow) keeps offering me them at work. Yesterday he comes to me and says (imagine a Borat accent), "You want big one or little one?" Ummm, "Big?" With that he draws a Cohiba Siglo VI from his coat pocket... nice way to finish the work day, eh?

[QUOTE=outlaw48;413867]HTG, Welcome!

I love your vices. I think they're as good as any to have. Remember the 80/20 rule... you can go 80% Primal, 10% cigars, 10% wine.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, LOL!

Day 20 - Yesterday

Oh, I started out so well, I really did, but I finally blew it in the evening. Urgggh!!
    Another unbelievably stressful day to end a long stressful week at work, and social activities afterwards, when I was tired and not really in control of myself--that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)

Breakfast
    Mediterranean Scramble (olive oil, tomatoes, oregano, garlic, eggs, and feta)
    Diet Rockstar energy drink

Snack
    Diet Monster
    Vinegar and Salt almonds (not the best since they had soy oil, but filling)

Lunch
    Korean spare ribs
    Kim Chi
    Spicy Cucumbers in Sesame Oil

OK, here it comes. This is where I blew it!

Dinner
    Prime Rib
    Mixed vegetables

Sounds OK so far, right?

Then an entire bottle of red wine! Yes, I said it. An entire bottle!!!!!

Let me explain. I was with my hubby, a friend in town from England, and another friend. We went to a higly rated restaurant in town, but the service was slow. This place encourages you to bring a bottle of wine with you as they don't have a liquor license, but the table is all set up for your wine with beautiful glasses when you sit down. I brought a bottle of Beso Vino and it was really really good, and my friends each brought their own bottle--hubby doesn't drink. Then we ordered and waited and waited and waited. Meanwhile we are all talking and enjoying ourselves and somebody kept pouring me wine. I wasn't really paying attention. By the time dinner got there, the bottle was almost gone.

Now the reason I wasn't paying attention is because my friends were telling me how fabulous I am looking and I was going on and on telling them about the Primal Blueprint and they were very interested.

But here's where it gets really bad. Obviously, after an entire bottle of wine, my judgment was a bit clouded.

Went to a bar to see my stepson's band play and drank 2 beers and 1 Jagermeister!! Believe it or not, I wasn't rip-roaring drunk like you would think as this all spanned several hours, and I didn't feel too bad this morning, mostly just dehydrated and GUILTY. I can't seem to get enough water today.

Oh well, I'm going to move on from this one. On the positive side, i didn't have a cigar.

Day 21 (so far)

This is going to be another challenging day. Bad news that a relative has terminal brain cancer, and today my Dad (who is 77) was admitted to the hospital with possible pneumonia. He just got out of the hospital (after two months) in March after a bout of pneumonia, then got a terrible C-Diff infection that destroyed all the flora in his colon (add COPD and Diabetes II to that mix, too), and we almost lost him. He was saved by Probiotics! However, he hasn't been feeling well the last couple of days, and the home nurse had him sent to the emergency room because his oxygen levels weren't good.

Still committed to this though, and not going to let personal stress detract.

Breakfast
    Ultimate Omelet at Denny's (no hashbrowns and no toast)
    Coffee

Lunch
    Made the Pork Radish Hash from the Primal Blueprint Cookbook and it was YUMMY)
    Topo Chico mineral water (I'm still dehydrated so have had 3 today, so far)

Dinner out - not sure where yet, but will not be having drinks.

Here's the real challenge. Another bar to see my stepson's band. I have friends and family coming too. I gave my husband permission to come down on me hard if I drink anything more than a glass or two of red wine and club soda. He made me promise not to let him drink Cokes. So, let's see how it goes.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 21 (cont.)

Dinner
    Cabana Bowl at Taco Cabana (iceberg lettuce, chicken fajita, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo). Boring and tasteless!!!
    Iced Tea w/Lemon

Bar (seeing my stepson's band, Collateral Damage)
    2 glasses Chardonnay
    Several club sodas with lime
    2 Punch London Club cigars (small cigars)

OK, I'm glad I got through this minefield of a weekend. Now I need to re-focus here. A few slip ups this weekend, but I don't think I did too much damage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast