Thread: thinking about doing a tri page

denbro01 is offline Senior Member

thinking about doing a tri

Primal Fuel
    So, I am thinking about doing a sprint distance triathalon. It's not till September so I should have plenty of time to prepare. Any tips, advice, or anything? I know I can do the bike portion(12 miles) no problem, swimming(.25 miles) should be ok, but I don't run.

PrimalRFG is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denbro01 View Post
    So, I am thinking about doing a sprint distance triathalon. It's not till September so I should have plenty of time to prepare. Any tips, advice, or anything? I know I can do the bike portion(12 miles) no problem, swimming(.25 miles) should be ok, but I don't run.
    After training primarily with weights for ten years I attempted a sprint tri and then an Olympic tri last summer. Honestly, while I trained a lot and had my diet dialed in (or so I thought at the time before going primal), they were fun and not overly difficult.

If you're worried about the run, get out there and run. Definitely follow some kind of "plan" because you do NOT want to overtrain. I had an overuse knee and then shoulder injury from running and swimming. Both were minor and healed in plenty of time to enjoy the triathlons. So, make sure you know what your goal for doing it is and then just do not overtrain. The sprint is a very accessible race for most fitness levels.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    do it...it's a blast. you have plenty of time for the training. plus, for a sprint tri, you won't really have to train that much if you're already fairly fit.

if you want a training guide, there are plenty of websites like beginnertriathlete.com, and a great book called 'my first triathlon' by joe friel who also wrote the triathletes training bible. and a program like couch to 5k is good to get your running in order. mostly though, just get out there and swim, bike and run.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I can send you some training plans I use to coach first timers to sprint distance races. I have 33 athletes right now going through the program and all are showing improvement. As Primalrob indicated above, the sprint distance is not all that hard to train for if you are anywhere near fit. Send me an email at dreamcatcher@astound.net and I'll send you some files to get you going.

Cheers,

Dave