Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Discouraged:( page

primalmonalisa is offline Junior Member

I'm Discouraged:(

I have been on PB for 11 days and before starting I was on a 7 day water fast....so after the fast I started PB and now am on day 11..I have gained 3.8 pounds since starting PB...I am working out..kettlebell, sprints, tabatas..and am keeping my carbs around 20 to 40...so what am I doing wrong? I know my cycle starts in 1 week...could that be it?? Any comments will be helpful
    Thanks,
    Mona Lisa

JanuaryEmber is offline Senior Member
    I have not been doing this for long either (30 days), but I do know that my 1st cycle (and only so far) since starting, I gained like 5 pounds the week before it started.
    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

handgallop is offline Member
    What, exactly, is involved in a 7 day water fast?

My guess is that your weight was "artificially" low because of that fast when you started, and that your body's response to having good fuel is to load up on it. I would simply give it more time for your body to find equilibrium - you (I guess) went from no fuel, which would make your body eager to store up reserves, to good fuel, which makes your body plenty happy - remember we are designed for efficiency and to store as much potential energy as possible. As your body readjusts to good fuel, it might start letting go more, as the "danger" of starvation has passed.

And of course, yes, your cycle could be partly responsible.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    No offense, but after 7 days of not eating, wouldn’t you expect some weight gain once you DID start eating? Even if it was good primal food? Also, given what you’re doing as far as workouts, it’s entirely possible that at least half of that is muscle.

Your post is full of red flags, in 11 days you’ve done tabatas, sprints, kettlebell work… sounds like a little too much. I’m going to assume you haven’t read the book or the website in depth. I suggest you start. Welcome to the forum!

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmonalisa View Post
    I have been on PB for 11 days and before starting I was on a 7 day water fast....so after the fast I started PB and now am on day 11..I have gained 3.8 pounds since starting PB...I am working out..kettlebell, sprints, tabatas..and am keeping my carbs around 20 to 40...so what am I doing wrong? I know my cycle starts in 1 week...could that be it?? Any comments will be helpful
    Thanks,
    Mona Lisa
    in bold
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

primalmonalisa is offline Junior Member
    Iniquity...I have read the book and I think its kind of rude for you to imply I havent. As far as my workouts go..they are spread out I'm not doing all that in one day...and as far as the water fast..it was for healing purposes and even when I came off the fast and was eating primal I was losing...and I may be off on my days..I been on PB more like 15 days.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmonalisa View Post
    Iniquity...I have read the book and I think its kind of rude for you to imply I havent. As far as my workouts go..they are spread out I'm not doing all that in one day...and as far as the water fast..it was for healing purposes and even when I came off the fast and was eating primal I was losing...and I may be off on my days..I been on PB more like 15 days.
    I didn't mean it as offense, the desperation in your original post is what made me think you may not have read the book. I suggest giving the whole process more time, and can almost guarantee that you will not steadily gain weight on a primal diet. Best of luck.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    You may want to post a day or two of menus so that we can make sure what you are eating is really primal. PB is not a miracle diet, so time and patience (and adherence) are key. Common mistakes for newcomers are too much dairy, too many nuts, too many primal treats.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, you were just regaining the weight you lost during the fast (and no, a 7 day water fast is not healing). I'd be worried if you hadn't gained weight! Plus, 3.8 lbs isn't even significant - my weight normally fluctuates by about 5 lbs based on how much food is in my stomach, where in my cycle I am, how high my carb intake has been, and if my muscles are recovering from a hard strength training session. Keep it up, and stay off the scales for a while.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I hope nobody tries to offer up solutions for this. Sorry to be harsh, but whoever does is just letting the OP carry on with her notion that ANY weight gain is inherently bad, and fueling her neurosis and possibly pushing her to do too much too soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast