Thread: rest pause page

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member

rest pause

Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone here has good experiences with rest-pause style training? I am looking to switch up my current program which is a three split. From what I understand it lets you go heavy, and lift for higher reps! So i picture that it is great for strength gains, and size no?

I would love to hear some feedback! thanks!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I wrote an article about the rest pause method that you might find helpful. It's a great technique, but it ain't gonna magically make you bigger or stronger without busting your ass.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I have used a few different versions of rest pause over the years. One is to do a max rep in whatever exercise, then rest till you aren't winded then do another max rep then repeat again, and again. Machines are good for this as you'll need to lower the weight a pin or two as you become more and more fatigued. I did a total of maybe 5 of these max reps per set and one set at that. It is very demanding and cannot be done in high volume fashion. It will literally tear you up from the inside out and quickly!! You could try and incorporate it into your routine for one body part and alternate each workout, doing standard type sets on the other parts.

What I've found when employing this is that I've dropped fat almost at a scary pace! I would equate it to sprinting as far as that goes and I guess there are some similarities. Be careful to have enough "rest" days between workouts, get plenty of sleep and eat good. Like Al said, you have to bust your arse!! It is brutal hard work. It does change your body though if done properly.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about mass gains (I don't train toward that goal) but I can say without a doubt that rest-pause training is phenomenal for strength gains. I've used weight that I can only do 4 or 5 reps with and managed 10+ reps with the rest-pause method. My strength for these exercises shot up very quickly. As Al says on his blog though, it takes a lot out of you when done properly (makes sense, considering that rest-pause is all about pushing your limits) -- so you won't want to do it often.

I like these quotes from Al's blog:

"Rest/pause workouts are best used as a shocking technique, so they shouldn’t be done more than once or twice a week."

"The power of using your mind and taking it one rep at a time can often lead to groundbreaking workouts."

I think that sums things up nicely.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Looking at some 20-rep squat videos on youtube it looks like they're essentially doing that the last few, some of them.

Go for it! As long as you can do it safely, of course.

stewie97 is offline Member
    I did the rest pause dogg crap training for about it a year, you will definitely get stronger while doing it if you stick with it. The stretching feels good/hurts so much! I couldn't have done it without a workout partner I trusted to spot me though...something to keep in mind.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    If your intention is to flirt with maxes then you're probably better off doing the Westside template. It allows for max loads to be used in conjunction with proper recovery without the guesswork.
    It's also produced some of the strongest guys on the planet, so it works.