Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scuba Boots, revisited page

zoebird is offline Senior Member

Scuba Boots, revisited

Primal Fuel
    I tried to find the original thread via the search function and archives, but sadly could not.

Anyway, someone mentioned getting scuba boots for my winter wear. It rains a fair bit, so they will get wet, but not "soaked" like being underwater.

I am seeing all kinds of versions -- 3 mm thick up to 6.5 mm thick. I like a pair (looks-wise) that is 3 mm.

But, I wonder, would that keep my foot dry and warm? I have no problem adding some socks to it, that will be fine, I just want to make sure that my feet don't get wet because wet is the bane of winter existence here! Wet wet wet wet and some more wet.

Do I need to go for something 5/6 mm or would 3 mm be ok?

Thanks, divers (and others who wear scuba booties as minimalist shoes).

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    They usually have a huge and porous (I assume) zipper right up the side. It has never occurred to me to wear scuba shoes as raingear! Just get some rubber boots. Sheesh. Personally I don't think you'd easily find a pair that is a great fit either - they usually don't sell half sizes, etc. They are just designed to keep your feet warm underwater and not blistered by your flippers.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Not sure how SCUBA boots would help. Mine just keep my footies warm while diving but they get wet. True its not soaking wet like with soaks and my feet stay warm but they are still wet. Mine are for use with a wetsuit, basically they keep a layer of water/dampness near the skin, the body heats that layer up, and you stay warmer rather than fresh cold water constantly moving over the skin. Drysuit boots are usually attached to the (full-body) suit-at least all the ones I've seen. I've been trying on drysuits for the past two months trying to decide on one so maybe I've only seen a special type (I do dive the Pacific Northwest, aka cold cold water).

Not sure if you are trying to go barefoot or...but I'd get some waterproof boots with the fleece lining. Heavy on your feet but they stay dry and warm. Probably not primal though...what are you looking for? Just an everyday shoe or?
    Last edited by Kaylee99; 04-12-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

first, rubber boots are not minimalist -- feeling the ground, lots of toe-space boots. I have waterproof hiking shoes (keens) that function just fine -- so I can and do use those when it is particularly mucky. But they are heavy and have a thick sole and now don't feel as comfortable as they once did (since i started wearing vibrams All The Time)!

second, i'm doing another shoe-cull. These are the shoes I have in NZ (i have special shoes still in the US): 1 pair tennis shoes; 1 pair hikers (mentioned above), one pair sandals, one pair vibrams, two pairs of high heels, one pair of ballet flats. The ballet flats, tennis shoes, and sandals are shot, so they are going to recycling. The heels are usually kept in storage (up in the closet), but the hikers and vibrams are kept on our shoe rack.

I would like an easy, minimalist shoe to wear during wet weather where my feet won't get wet. I found the beautiful moccasins hand made by Russell Moccasin. But, they are on a 6-month back order, and while they are beautiful, I'm not sure that they are to my particular tastes (in so far as "looks) go.

Then, I can store my hikers, and replace my sandals with a pair of huaraches, and I'm good to go.

I'm also culling and finishing out my wardrobe as well as Hawk's. He only owns two pairs of shoes -- his sneakers and his wellies -- but i'm going to replace his sneakers with some minimalist shoes also because he prefers to be barefoot and I don't blame him! So, when he grows out of this pair of shoes, he'll get minimalist ones (if i can find them).

I like these and these. Both are only 3 mm. For 5 and 6.5 mm, I have found some where there is an inner liner and outter liner/zipper designed to keep water out, but they are considerably more expensive (ranging in around $60). And, I'm not as fond of the high-top boot. I like these low, pull ons. I was just wondering if they'd keep the wet out while I walked to work.

And I already know I wear a men's six, because roller derby skates only come in men's full sizes, and i was sized for those. and according to the local dive shop, same rules apply.

I'm looking for something waterproof and minimalist. That's it.

My walk to work in winter is *wet*. It's usually raining (and windy), and there are puddles.

Right now, there is the "perma-puddle" on the footpath from our house to the main road. Because I wear my vibrams, my feet get wet and smell like murky puddle. I have to wash feet and vibrams more often. It's not a deep puddle, but my feet in my vibrams get wet (particularly between the toes.

I need something that I can walk to work in. At work, I take them off. In my vibrams, my feet are wet/damp as soon as I step in a puddle. I would prefer not to have this wet/damp experience.

I do not want to buy fleece boots -- basically anything that isn't minimalist is off the list *because* i have my water proof hiking shoes. I'll just wear those if there aren't any viable minimalist options.

Like i said, someone mentioned "scuba boots" and so I thought I would check them out. But, I don't know much about them -- and whether i need to go thick-thick or medium or what.

Heck, even just puddle/rain resistant will be fine. I just don't want cold/wet toes.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I've tried on some rather thin-soled wellies--maybe you can find some?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    There's no real standard with scuba/reef shoes. The bottom on all of them is solid rubber, but the upper varies from a close mesh to a wetsuit-type fabric. Your best bet would be to find them locally if you can.

rkj1969 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    There's no real standard with scuba/reef shoes. The bottom on all of them is solid rubber, but the upper varies from a close mesh to a wetsuit-type fabric. Your best bet would be to find them locally if you can.
    I agree - the ones in the links you attached aren't meant to keep water out at all. as someone else posted above, when we use them for diving, we get wet - we just don't get cold. They also have very stiff bottoms of either thick felt or thick rubber, since another major reason to wear them is to keep from cutting your feet up on the coral on the way in and out of the water. Mine don't have any flexibility in the sole.

They do make "drysuit booties" that are basically latex socks for keeping your feet more dry (and warmer) when diving in cold water - they're a little pricey, but might work inside your normal shoes?....best to try locally - looks like there's a place called "the Dive Shop" is in Wellington....
    ~Rhonda

"Do or do not do, there is no try" - Yoda

mummybeelee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am eyeing these up for winter Soft Star Shoes: Phoenix Boot<br/>Chocolate *if* I can afford them. I have a pair of their RunAmocs that I love and these look like a great option for cold, wet winters. The price is a bit eye watering but I assume the are the same great quality as the RunAmocs and will last for many years.
    I'll be interested to hear how the scuba boots work out if you go that route
    Bee
    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast