Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Own Personal 30 Day Challege page

Metta is offline Senior Member

My Own Personal 30 Day "Pregneo" Challege

Primal Fuel
    I hope that it is not too presumptuous to start a journal thread with my first post here....

I've been lurking quite a bit for a little over a week and have read a ton of Mark's blog posts, too. I cannot get enough of the success stories! All of you are inspiring and some of you are flat out heroic.

I found this place because I've been meandering around the internet researching "Paleo" type diets. In some weight-lifting forum I stumbled into - the posters were debating who was "The Man": Mark or Arthur De Vany. In the end I think they agreed that both of them were beyond amazing. Anyway, that led me read what I could about them and to both of their sites. After awhile, I noticed that I wasn't reading anymore "Paleo" sites, just coming here to read. I'm impressed with this place and with all of you.

The reason I was researching Paleo/Primal was because while reading about different diets, it struck me how much this way of eating was similar to the way I ate during my pregnancies. When I was 100% responsible for the nutrition my baby-to-be was getting, I made sure that I ate only nutrient-dense foods that were as close to their original state as possible. The past few days, I've jokingly told my friends that I'm going on a "Pregneo" diet.

I've been extremely lucky most of my life as far as weight and fitness. My whole family are mesomorphs - my grandpa was "buff" into his 70s without doing anything extraordinary. But the past year and a half have been hard on me. I haven't taken care of myself at all. In fact, I've neglected myself quite a bit. A cumulative effect of aging, stress, drrrrrrama (I'll spare you the details), ennui and just plain laziness have taken their toll. I'm heavier, flabbier and less "vital" than I've ever been. Time to change.

I've read about the thirty day challenges that have gone on here over the years and decided to do a personal one. During the time I've been lurking here, I've been making gradual changes (that means, in part, finishing all the beer and ice cream in the house!) and today I started straight Primal.

I'm too embarrassed to put up a before photo - although I'm taking one. Maybe if the after is good enough, I'll post both at the end. But this is my starting point:

Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 147
    Waist: 32" (Ugh!)
    Hips: 40.5
    Thigh: 24.5 (At the saddlebags spot.)
    Upper Chest: 37 (Women get thick here as they age - I'm hoping to lose an inch or so.)

My average weight the past ten years is between 132-137. My ideal is 128-130. I don't think I can do that in 30 days - but I can try to get started! The scale is hidden for the next 30 days. I'm putting away the tape measure, too, but I might get it back out at 15 days just for a check up.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Metta; 04-13-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Good luck with primal!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thank you so much!!! Happy to have found my way here. I'm going to read a few more journal posts and success stories before I sign off.

During my Pregneo eras, I used to calculate the food values of everything I ate that day before I went to bed. That was before the computer and phone apps did everything for you. I actually had to turn pages in a big thick book and use a pencil and paper to add up the numbers.

Here's the sum total of today's intake:

Little milk in my coffee (can't give up coffee), lotta eggs, a little cheese (I'm definitely not lactose intolerant), a little salsa, roasted beets, spinach, mushrooms, onions, and some beef.

Not all at once.

I used the Recipe Builder function at this site to give me the nutrient breakdown:

NutrientFacts.com

I don't know which I am looking forward to more - weighing myself at the end of this to see what kind of results I get, or treating myself to a good non-paleo beer!

One more thing that I want to add before I sign off for the day....

I'm so struck when I'm reading all of your journals by how little credit some of you give yourselves. I see post after post from people who have lost very significant amounts of weight but are down on themselves for not losing more or losing faster. And I'm thinking, "Holy shit! You lost XX pounds since XX/XX/10! That's so freaking amazing!!!!" Some of you should think back to when you were in my shoes - just starting out and wondering if you could do this and whether you'd get results. And while you're thinking back, remember that you were carrying a bunch of weight on that day that you're not anymore! And that you've made some big changes in your health.

I'm inspired by all of you.
    Last edited by Metta; 04-13-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Dang.... I can't find my camera and so I haven't taken a "Before" photo yet. I think I need to just buy a cheap one though, because I woke up this morning and even though it's only been four or five days since I weighed myself, I can tell that I'm losing and getting in better shape fast!

Today I walked a few and lifted a bit. Ate pretty well. Still haven't taken the before photo!

Quit making excuses (I can't find my camera, I need a new mirror, the lighting is terrible...) and took my "Before" photos using the phone camera and standing on a chair in front of the wall mirror.

All I can say is .

Today's intake:

Some non-primal foods like coffee, half & half, a little cheese included. Also salmon, bacon, artichokes, avocado, cucumber, tomato.

Walked some. Didn't lift anything heavy.

Was REALLY depressed after taking the photos, but spent a long time in the success threads and felt a little better.

Well, went to a dinner party yesterday... Thought I would cheat with a little glass of wine, which became many glasses of wine, which became cake.

I'm starting over from scratch.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast