Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My Own Personal 30 Day Challege page 9

a_phoenix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't talk much about how I'd love to look better and weigh less, because I don't like to give those thoughts the airtime, but I sure as heck sympathize, especially with wanting to look great for a personal milestone like a birthday. (I'm just lucky that mine is still a few months off.)

Give yourself the present of an upcoming year of healthful living? It is *awesome* that you're on the road.

/cheerleading
    First whole30 started 26 April 2011

Goals: Vitality, Joy, Play
    (also look good doing pull-ups by my 40th birthday)

My Primal Journal

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I really appreciate all the support here.

I think - strike that, I KNOW - I had a fantasy that I'd look a lot better before my birthday, and that turned out to be ... well, a fantasy. It was compounded by the fact that it looks like - despite odds and intentions - Mr. LGN is back in my life in some yet-to-be-determined context for some yet-to-be-determined duration. Put those two things together - and, well, for my own sanity, I better get real.

I'd STILL like to hit that goal weight and I didn't expect it to happen within the 30 days, but I thought I'd be closer than it looks like I'll be. And that's okay. At least I'm not the 150+ that I was a couple months ago.

Today when I was walking up my hill - which (if I haven't already mentioned it on this thread) is crazy steep, sometimes cars slide backward - I decided that my new goal is going to be the ability RUN from the bottom to the top. Given that two months ago I was gasping for air so badly by the time I walked slowly to the top that I worried someone would look out their window and call the paramedics and now I am barely winded - I don't think it's unrealistic to think that I could "sprint" the hill in another two months. That would make me feel great.

LOL
    Last edited by Metta; 05-09-2011 at 04:44 PM.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You can do it! Keep us posted on your progress up the hill.

I actually managed 10 girly pushups yesterday
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

*that* is an awesome goal! i know what the hills around here are like

My Primal Journal

Thanks you guys.

I promise not to be a chronic downer here, but I have to friggin' complain that I'm back up to friggin' 142 plus a few ounces.

Okay, gonna go walk a few miles to get my head straight.

Okay, I took a long walk since I made that last post, and I have to admit that it DID help to get my head straight.

I haven't lost as much weight as I wished I had over the past 30-60 days.... But you know what? I'm looney to let that be the ultimate measure of how I'm doing. There are a lot of little victories that I'm not even registering while they're happening!

For instance, it occurred to me while I was walking that I was at a surprise party this Sunday (surprise in that I thought it was just going to be the host, his wife and I hanging out and it turned out to be about 20 people) and that during the party I was perfectly comfortable in my little summer dress. A month ago, I would have been totally self-conscious. Two months ago, I would have made an excuse not to go because I felt "fat and ugly".

Also, my stamina has improved enormously. It wasn't just that I had no endurance, it was that I had let myself get downright feeble. Now, I'm looking to challenge myself to running up the steepest hill around. I spend time browsing trail maps and the g-map pedometer to see if there are longer and more difficult routes that I can take to get places.

And maybe I weigh more because instead of muscles that make jello seem solid - I'm getting back to the hardbody that my DNA (luckily) tends toward. Ya think that might have something to do with the weight loss on the scale not being as significant as I'd hoped?

Oh, and did I mention that I've lost three inches off my waist? I know I did, but it bears repeating. Even if it is just the swelling in my liver going down.

I am SO GRATEFUL for the support when I get discouraged. It really helped me a lot. I'm in a better space now. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Metta; 05-10-2011 at 01:21 PM.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    You're going to hear this a lot on the forums and I'm going to say this. Ditch the scale. I've done it and am a happier person for doing it. Plus, it takes a bit of time to heal the body from all the damage we've done pre-PB. I've been at this for 5 months and in just the past few weeks am finally seeing changes in body composition. Give it time. We don't gain the weight overnight and we don't lose it overnight either.
    Georgette

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    You're going to hear this a lot on the forums and I'm going to say this. Ditch the scale. I've done it and am a happier person for doing it. Plus, it takes a bit of time to heal the body from all the damage we've done pre-PB. I've been at this for 5 months and in just the past few weeks am finally seeing changes in body composition. Give it time. We don't gain the weight overnight and we don't lose it overnight either.
    Great advice!!

Keep up the Great work Metta!!!
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Metta View Post
    I haven't lost as much weight as I wished I had over the past 30-60 days.... But you know what? I'm looney to let that be the ultimate measure of how I'm doing. There are a lot of little victories that I'm not even registering while they're happening!
    Hooray for counting the victories! (And hooray for victories!)

My Primal Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm still here and still PB'ing.

Haven't been chronicling the food intake - and I'm surprised and happy that I've stayed super disciplined without doing the public accountability thing.

Still addicted to the scale. But having spent a LOT of time the past few days reading other people's journals and the success threads, I'm less frustrated by it. I've gained a ton of muscle and so I think that's something that I have to factor in. I took some measurements, too, and it looks like while the scale losses might not be dramatic, I may have some good news to post here on the 15th!

Probably won't post my before/after pics until there's a little more "after" in my after if you know what I mean. LOL.

The way I stupidly titled this journal makes it seem like it's gonna come to an end in a couple days. Not. I think my next 30 day challenge will be trying to get to a place where I'm much more in shape and have lost a few more pounds and can post some photos with a little more pride than there is embarrassment.

Having a planned slight cheat tonight as it is another date night with Mr. LGN. Hopefully drama-free.

Walked 9.7 miles yesterday. It was awesome - saw a four foot tiger shark that was stuck in an inlet in the Bay. Really cool. There were a couple ducks and an egret that didn't even bolt when I came within just a few short feet of them - I think because they were as fascinated as I was! It was like the ducks, the egret and I were all sharing a "WTF?! Can you BELIEVE this?!" moment. By the time I was on the return route, the tide had come up and it was gone. But I was so grateful to PB that I got to see that because I did all my local errands on foot instead of driving. Gonna go do another 5mi right now to see if there's a check from a client waiting for me.

Oh, yeah, and I keep talking about my steep hill that I live on and what a challenge it is. And how in the beginning I couldn't get up to the top without having a near medical emergency. Yesterday, I was almost to the top before I even started to get winded. This is a picture from the top. Hard to capture how super steep it is - but it's basically the length of an average city block, not far. But look how much higher it rises than the utility pole at the bottom. And I purposely chose this photo when the truck was passing, too, so there was another mental height marker that we're all familiar with. And, like I told everyone before, note that the street is concrete instead of asphalt. I think that the asphalt would flow downhill. I have another photo taken from the bottom when a work-truck started spinning its wheels and sliding because it couldn't make it up - but without the sound effects and action, it's not really the same.

So, yeah, part of my PB is hustling up that monster a few times a day.

You guys are great - even though I haven't been posting, I've been checking up on people here.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast