Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: My Own Personal 30 Day Challege page 11

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It kills me, too, but my take on that is that it's SUPPOSED to be killin' me in order to do me good. If I'm not dyin', I try climbing faster.

So next time the stairs are "nearly" killing you - pick up the pace! (Four flights is A LOT.)

Thanks for the compliment, too. I guess this journal is much more fun to read now that it's not just me complaining about the damn scale everyday.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Wow, those stairs! That has got to be a good workout. I really need to work on my fitness now, I've been pretty half-hearted about it, so it's nice to know that you can have a noticeable improvement in just a month.

Last night I made a spinach and egg scramble with truffled goat cheese. OMG, it was good. I added lotsa extra butter when I was sauteing the onion and garlic to start and an additional egg to finish it off. That's another 200+ calories.
    I need to know more about the truffled goat cheese, that sounds like heaven!
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Whole Foods. Not super expensive. Not cheap either... Just not so much that I deny myself the splurge. I loved the idea of it. It was okay on its own. And, you're right, combined with the egg and the spinach (with a tiny bit of garlic and some caramelized onion), it IS heaven.

Funny that when I was lurking on this forum and reading all Mark's posts on the front page here - two things seemed to constantly grab my attention.

First, I felt really validated for choices I made about diet during my pregnancies. (See my first post...) I was basically 100% primal back then - without the coconut butter. (BTW, my kids were able to not only hold their heads up within days of birth, but could tuck their heads when you pulled them up by their arms a few inches from a starting position of laying on their backs. My pediatrician was an author and had a TV show briefly and was BLOWN AWAY. They were crawling when most babies were trying to figure out how to sit and they both walked at nine months old. So I guess this was the SECOND validation. )

Second, I really seemed to focus on the end results. I could read about success stories and benefits of PB, but what stuck with me was finish-line type of stuff. I couldn't get enough of it.

During the time I was reading - I was slowly adopting PB. Tossing or giving away (or finishing! ) food that was "bad", cutting back and eventually cutting out (finishing! ) alcohol. I'm lucky that the nutritional nuts and bolts felt familiar and made sense to me.

However, during that same time, by fixing on benefits and results, I quite nearly set myself up to fail. I had unrealistic expectations and no patience. Thank goodness that by participating here, my focus has kind of changed to be able to see the journey to PB benefits and finish line type results. I've come to really, really respect the people who have the discipline to stick with it, the patience to wait for results that might be long-coming, the resilience to overcome failures, and especially the strength to keep on going when it starts to feel like it's a struggle.

I'm changing my priorities. Gonna be one of the journey-focused folks.

Speakin' of journeys - anyone here check out those "virtual walk across the U.S." sites? My friend is doing one through her work - everyone who wants to is tracking as a group. I think I'm gonna see America. Well, actually, as close as I'll get to goin' Sacagawea (who did 4,356 miles while carrying a baby!) is loggin' miles on a computer "trail", but it seems like a fun and motivating thing to do...

Last edited by Metta; 05-17-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: I am the Queen Of Typos.

a_phoenix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metta View Post

However, during that same time, by fixing on benefits and results, I quite nearly set myself up to fail. I had unrealistic expectations and no patience. Thank goodness that by participating here, my focus has kind of changed to be able to see the journey to PB benefits and finish line type results. I've come to really, really respect the people who have the discipline to stick with it, the patience to wait for results that might be long-coming, the resilience to overcome failures, and especially the strength to keep on going when it starts to feel like it's a struggle.

I'm changing my priorities. Gonna be one of the journey-focused folks.
    There you go, being all inspiring again, and on one of my "I'm gonna give this whole thing up" days too.

Thank you

Here's to the journey!
    First whole30 started 26 April 2011

Goals: Vitality, Joy, Play
    (also look good doing pull-ups by my 40th birthday)

My Primal Journal

Fiftyfriggingfour years old today.

I think this day might have been REALLY DIFFERENT had I not decided a couple of months ago to start taking care of myself again. REALLY DIFFERENT. I am pretty sure my emotional state would have been somewhere between a vague sense of ennui and flat out incapacitated by depression. And making everyone around me somewhat miserable. And not just for the day. Probably the year and beyond.

Instead I had a pretty damn good day and I made a lot of people happier than they were.

I already said this on the old lady thread, but I walked 5.4 miles (a mile for every decade). It was really magical but unfortunately that didn't translate in the pictures. It might be partially the photographer's fault. LOL. Also had a GREAT dinner with the family - Ribs with a slightly non-primal BBQ sauce. They were OMG good.

Jumped on the scale again and not gonna stress about it but the weight is still stalled. Praying that I'll fit in my dress for my birthday dinner with Mr. LGN on Friday.

a_phoenix is offline Senior Member
    Happy Birthday!
    First whole30 started 26 April 2011

Goals: Vitality, Joy, Play
    (also look good doing pull-ups by my 40th birthday)

My Primal Journal

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Happy birthday!!!! I'll have to do that walk next year on my 36th birthday.

I also loved your post about the journey this has become for you. Totally awesome and that's how I feel now. You summed it up perfectly.
    Georgette

Thanks, you guys.

I did another quick two miles early this AM and felt great. It's so amazing to have muscles again!

I think I posted earlier on this thread that I was a little taken aback by some posts on one of the threads on this forum saying that any woman who has children can have a tight-skinned belly. I basically delivered the weight of twins twice. Two pregnancies. Two beautiful girls. One 10lbs at birth and the other 11lbs. And my placentas were over 5lbs. (The average is 1.5lbs.) And I have a medium-small frame. No matter how low my body fat gets, I'm always going to have a little bit of extra skin there unless I win the lotto and get surgery. And you know what? This morning I decided I'm fine with that.

And I'm not going to let posts here rattle me about it anymore. Especially from young women who have yet to have children and men who never will.

I'm gonna wear that mommy-belly like a badge of honor.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Metta View Post
    Thanks, you guys.

I did another quick two miles early this AM and felt great. It's so amazing to have muscles again!

I think I posted earlier on this thread that I was a little taken aback by some posts on one of the threads on this forum saying that any woman who has children can have a tight-skinned belly. I basically delivered the weight of twins twice. Two pregnancies. Two beautiful girls. One 10lbs at birth and the other 11lbs. And my placentas were over 5lbs. (The average is 1.5lbs.) And I have a medium-small frame. No matter how low my body fat gets, I'm always going to have a little bit of extra skin there unless I win the lotto and get surgery. And you know what? This morning I decided I'm fine with that.

And I'm not going to let posts here rattle me about it anymore. Especially from young women who have yet to have children and men who never will.

I'm gonna wear that mommy-belly like a badge of honor.
    Totally badass as we say in our house. Hell you'll still be able to rock a bikini and look great!
    Georgette

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast