Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My Own Personal 30 Day Challege page 10

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, saw another tiger shark today at a different part of the bay and figured out why they might be so close to shore.

Forgot that I took a photo of the shark yesterday.

I need a pull up bar. Any suggestions for a good one?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Wow! That is quite the hill! Good job!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Smile

THIRTY (plus) DAY ASSESSMENT

Okay, moment of truth: Was I 100% primal? As far as the food that went past my lips? No. But can I list my cheats? Yes. It was at least that much in control. I can say that I had two pieces of cake. One was not even that good and another one was, frankly, totally worth it. I had less than a cup of rice as part of a meal that included sushi. That, and the two pieces of cake were the only grains that I've allowed myself. I had wine or sake once or twice a week. I do eat dairy - which I know most people don't accept as primal - but I've substituted half and half for 2% in my coffee and cut way down on the cheese. Oh, and I occasionally have tablespoon or so of some commercial salad dressings out of laziness. Other than that I've been very good. I'm lucky that meat and vegetables are actually my favorite foods.

I planned to focus on foods this month, but made a lot of progress on the fitness end of things. This part of my PB wasn't really planned out. My only goal was to move more - which wasn't asking a lot because I'd become so sedentary that I could probably have been mistaken for a mannequin. Oh, and that would be a mannequin made from jello, because I was about that "hard". I'm barely exaggerating. I had let my muscles atrophy that much. Well, once I started moving I was reminded how much I love it. I joined the gym and I go there to "play", but mainly I've just been putting miles under my feet. I walk about 20 miles a week. Brisk walk. Like, I pass some joggers. I almost never take my car for any errand that is local. I'm lucky that I live and work in a place where there are beautiful and challenging places to walk. I bought a map that shows all the local easements so that I actually plan - instead of shortcuts - to take the long and difficult way to wherever I'm going. I posted the hill I live on a few days ago. Here are just some of the stairs I walk to get around town:

I don't know how to "measure" the difference in my fitness except to say that my stamina has improved so much I'm embarrassed to remember my starting point four short weeks ago and my muscles are muscles again (my quads are brick-house solid).

I'm very lucky that my family genetics lean toward the muscular mesomorph type of body.

Weight loss stalled big-time. That was hard. I got very frustrated with the scale - as my new PB friends who've (thankfully) helped me through this first month know. I've "only" lost 8-9lbs. Most of it almost literally the first few days. Thank Gawd, though, that I took measurements. Below is slightly edited from my first post.

[T]his [was] my starting point:

Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 148.5
    Waist: 32" (Ugh!)
    Hips: 40.5"
    Thigh: 24.5" (At the saddlebags spot.)
    Upper Chest: 37" (Women get thick here as they age - I'm hoping to lose an inch or so.)

Today:

Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 139.8
    Waist: 28 3/4" (Woot!)
    Hips: 39.5"
    Thigh: 23 3/4"
    Upper Chest: 35" (So happy about this!)

Check my math, but I think I lost seven friggin' inches just off the places I bothered to measure! I wish I would have measured my rib cage, because I really notice it there in the mirror. And though the difference in my hips at the widest point isn't much, the area between the waist and the hips (muffintop territory) is much improved. Overall, I think the total inches lost is even more.

On Friday, I wore a Little Black Dress out to dinner with Mr. LGN - and I looked good enough in it that he was (ahem-blush) immediately moved just seeing me while he was opening the car door for me as I walked out of the house. More importantly, I felt comfortable being out in public wearing the dress. A month ago, I would have cried and been depressed for days just trying it on. Not kidding.

In the end ... I'm grateful and happy.

I think that my goals that I'll work toward for the next thirty days are already on this thread:
    1.) Running up my hill.
    2.) Having enough "after" in my after photos to have the guts to post them here.

Not that I'll achieve them by the next 30 Days, but I want to be on track to achieve those goals at some point. They're not goals that fit neatly into a LilySlim ticker, but they're both personally meaningful to me.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    That's great stuff, Metta! Big change in inches lost re: your waist!
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

a_phoenix is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Those are awesome results, Metta! Congratulations!
    First whole30 started 26 April 2011

Goals: Vitality, Joy, Play
    (also look good doing pull-ups by my 40th birthday)

My Primal Journal

Thanks so much!

I keep joking that the inches off my waist was just the swelling in my liver going down - but that doesn't explain the rest of the inches! Which I did add up incorrectly, BTW. I should have added .75 for each thigh. So it's really almost eight inches! I'm happiest about losing some of the "thickness" just under the arms. Old lady fat. You rarely see young women who collect fat in that area but it happens a lot with women my age. The upper chest and back gets almost mannish. I want that G-O-N-E.

Going to start the squat and push up challenge today. I can't do sit ups. Well, I mean I can physically perform them, but at the cost of getting a thicker waist. I do build muscle there. Best exercise for the belly is just remembering to hold it in firmly constantly. IMO, anyway. Other's milage may (and probably does) vary.

I read SO much here yesterday - hours and hundreds of posts - and learned a lot.

One is that there are a few women here with body dysmorphia. You're 5'9" and weigh 129 and think you're fat? Wow. Aside from breaking my heart with sadness for those poor women, seeing posts like that really made me rethink my goals.

Also, posts from women like Batty and a couple others whose names I am embarrassed to say that I don't remember right now have convinced me to try eating MORE calories. The one thing I learned from tracking food intake was how surprised I was at the number of days where I was barely above 1000 calories. I'm usually a natural IF'r until the afternoon (I've never liked breakfast my whole life) and then once I eat something fatty and full of protein, my appetite is sated. I thought that was a good thing. Until yesterday. I'm going to make a conscious effort to add more calories. Last night I made a spinach and egg scramble with truffled goat cheese. OMG, it was good. I added lotsa extra butter when I was sauteing the onion and garlic to start and an additional egg to finish it off. That's another 200+ calories. I think I'm gonna make the same thing for lunch.

Anyway... Enough of my blather. I'm worried that my resolve will be tested in the weeks to come. I need to plan for that.

I don't know why I'm so chatty the past couple days, post after post after post.

I did the push up and squat "test".

Push ups? FAIL. I had to do them "girl style" and only got ten done before I was too noodle armed to go on.

Squats were a different story. I stopped at 100 because I was kinda bored. Of course, that's why my thighs will NEVER be less than 23" around. I'm always going to have those comic book girl superhero thighs.

I'd have to buy the boobs to go with them though.

Oh, and I finally got some coconut oil and coconut butter. I'm hoping that it is Fountain Of Friggin' Youth on a spoon.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Fun journal! You're making great progress, and I'm envious of where you live, although stairs seem to be my nemesis these days. I can do a really fast 20-25 minute walk/sprint session in our parking garage, but the 4 flights of stairs back up to my desk afterwards nearly kill me.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast