Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull-up alternative? page

sunflower is offline Junior Member

Pull-up alternative?

Primal Fuel
    I do not have a gym membership and I do not own a pull-up bar. I was going to buy one of those fairly inexpensive Iron Gym pull-up bars that fit over your door frame but I measured my door ways last night and they are too wide and the molding is too tall. I found some custom pull-up bars online for bigger doors and such but they are $79+. I would go ahead and shell out the money for one because I really want to include pull-ups in my workout but I am moving to a new house in a few months and I don't know what the doors there are gonna be like :-p

Anyway... long story short... Can anyone recommend an alternative exercise to a pull-up that will work on strengthening the same muscles for pull-ups? Something I can do at home without any equipment? It would probably be a good idea for me to start with this anyway because I am no where near able to do a single pull-up (epic failure at the local playground the other day, lol).

FYI, I just started Mark's LHT workouts a couple weeks ago. I'm doing everything except the pull-ups. I really want to work on those pull-up muscles!

imnes is offline Member
    You can use any sturdy door depending on your weight, and assuming you can do pull ups unassisted.. I've seen a few people post video of this method, usually throw a towel over the door to help protect your hands, and just do pull ups on the door.

YouTube - Door Pull Ups - Home Back Workout

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    You mentioned a local playground...maybe do inverted rows (Australian pull ups) on a swing?
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Combination back/shoulder workout: lay on a towel, pull yourself towards something (requires smooth floors), push yourself back to the starting point and repeat.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

imnes: I am no where near being able to do an actual pull-up as I mentioned, but thanks!

erica057: Thanks for the reply. I just don't want to have to go to the playground every time I do an LHT workout. I'm usually doing my workouts at night when the kids are in bed :-)

Alex: Thanks for the suggestion! So let me get this straight... I would be laying on a towel on my stomach? and I would be pulling my body along the floor with just my hands? Hmmm, sounds doable but crap, my whole house is carpeted except the kitchen! Not a whole lotta room in there... hmmm.

I was thinking back, wouldn't want to breathe in some dirt.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Carpet? Sturdy materials (wood, plastic) slide over that pretty well. Tie a snowboard to your back.

EDIT: Use something anchored to pull yourself or you might end up injure. More friction from carpets = better workout.
    Last edited by Alex Good; 04-12-2011 at 06:49 PM.

RobbieC is offline Member
    Do you have a garage? If so, you can build your own pull up bar with some pipe and fittings from Home Depot or Lowes for about ~$15.
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    take a thin sheet, tie a knot in one end, throw sheet over the top of a door, close the door with the knot on the opposite side you are on. Then pull the sheet so the knot is right up against the door, lay down on the floor with your feet against the door and do ausie pullups with the sheet. If that's too hard then do it from a hip extension position.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    take a thin sheet, tie a knot in one end, throw sheet over the top of a door, close the door with the knot on the opposite side you are on. Then pull the sheet so the knot is right up against the door, lay down on the floor with your feet against the door and do ausie pullups with the sheet. If that's too hard then do it from a hip extension position.
    LOVE this! I will definitely be trying it, thanks so much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast