Thread: Primal Fried Liver? page

marthat is offline Senior Member

Primal Fried Liver?

Primal Fuel
    I love liver, dredged in flour and fried in a fat. I'm doing a Whole 30 for April and can't have the flour. To Primalize it, I will cook in bacon fat, no problems, but what has worked to replace the flour dredging?

I don't like it "wet", so please no sauces. I just want to replicate the crispiness of panfried liver.

Thanks.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I fry it without a coating and it seems crispy enough, as long as the pan is medium hot. I've been able to achieve crispy on the outside and soft on the inside just by making sure the liver is dry (patted with a papertowel) and the pan is a good temp.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I've used coconut flour, and finely ground pork rinds, for coating; neither is perfect as a flour replacement, but both are good.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Thanks for the replies. I have coconut flour so I may try that. I have almond meal, too. Any thoughts on that?

Well, dinner is over and the verdict is "delicious". I used almond meal, salt and pepper in a ziploc bag with the patted dry liver. It make a nice crust, though it did tend to fall off a bit when cooked. Very crispy when fried in bacon fat. Highly recommended for the fried liver lovers going totally grain-free.

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Eh? I never fry it dredged in anything! Have I been doing it wrong then? lol

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzy10 View Post
    Eh? I never fry it dredged in anything! Have I been doing it wrong then? lol
    I don't dredge mine either and the texture and taste are fabulous. Seems fine without dredge.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.