Thread: "Healthy" CW to PB page

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member

"Healthy" CW to PB

Shop Now
    Yes, this is one of my first posts... but I have been trolling for quite a while.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the transition to the primal lifestyle in the same as me. Ie: going primal after being a "healthy" CW follower.

A little over a year ago I was 28 years old and while no one would call me obese or large, I was the biggest I had ever been at 6'0" tall and 215lbs, with a majority of that in my mid section. I knew that I'd be turning thirty the next year, so I decided to do something about it. I followed CW completely. I started running, small distances at first and doing some intense calorie restrictions and eating ridiculously small amounts of fats.

This went on from Jan. to September, I had moved up to maybe 30-35 miles a week, I was eating oatmeal for breakfast, low-fat pre-made soups for lunch, chicken and pasta for dinner and snacking on granola and rice cakes. I had dropped some serious weight though. I was down to around 175lbs, yet in retrospect I looked rather sickly and felt even worse.

A friend who lived a few hours away had be Crossfitting and eating primal for about the same amount of time. He had started out in horrible shape, something in the range of 100lbs overweight and had managed to lose a considerable amount in the same time as me. I knew about his diet and had read a little about it during his weight loss, but never really paid any attention until we went to dinner one night in September of last year.

I ordered something to the tune of a bland pasta and chicken dish off the "lite menu" while I watched him down a huge delicious looking steak and veggies.

After that I started checking into what he called "Paleo". I read pretty much every article on MDA over a month, and started working out and eating accordingly. It was great... within a few months I had put on 10lbs of muscle, no longer looking like I was starving myself. I was getting tone, lean and seeing definate definition. I started doing HIIT training, body weight training, walking a lot, and still (because I like it) running about 5-10 miles a week (in VFF's now).

Now I've been primal for about 8 months, I've never felt better in my life. I wake up each morning refreshed from a good nights sleep, I eat as much as I want within the primal sphere of foods and am satiated.

Yes, now I have to have awkward explanations to co-workers about why I don't eat pizza on Fridays, or deal with the looks from people running as I am climbing trees and doing pull-ups on limbs. But it's worth it... it is just so much EASIER. Where as getting "healthy" according to CW was not only a pain in the ass, but a false sense of health. Doing it primally I not only feel great... but I don't even have to try! Short of avoiding my beloved brownies.

In retrospect I think my mood and attitude at the time were really the worst side effect of the CW eating/cardio routine. I did not notice it at the time but looking back I seemed to always be irritable and cranky, snapping at my wife for no reason and in generally just being a jerk. It's amazing what changing your diet and lifestyle can do.

It just seems like many of the "sucess" stories I've seen have been about large amounts of weight loss, which don't get me wrong... is great! Mine was just a little different, I actually gained weight going primal... but look and feel 100 times better.

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    Great Story!!!
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Congrats on your success, and I am glad you feel better!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

nidalee is offline Junior Member
    False sense of health, yes. You get used to being sick
    Congrats

gregjames is offline Member
    Your before and after picture is really inspiring! thanks.