Thread: 3 months since I gave birth, and time to get in shape again.. but how!? page

Alvora is offline Junior Member

Question 3 months since I gave birth, and time to get in shape again.. but how!?

Shop Now
    I wen't primal a month ago and I Love it!
    ..But I gained a lot of weight being pregnant and now it's time to get back in shape. (I'm 22 pounds heavier then before the pregnancy where I was ok fit)
    I have tried to jog just for warm-up, but the tibalis(?) on the front of the lower leg hurts really much (and where the leg meets the feet). Only after 200m it felt like it was on fire and cramped. I had to(but could hardly) walk home in a very slow pace and it cramped again the days after if I walked to fast. Anyone knos why? And what can I do about it? I have been thinking about getting a new pair of shoes to start with..

Greatful for answears! I miss my runners high

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    First of all, congratulations on your new baby.

Second, at this point, don't go overboard in expectations. I honestly gained very little weight with the pregnancy, but my hips were completely out of whack for months, because of breastfeeding my body held onto a lot of fat on my arms and shoulders (normal for some women who exclusively breastfeed), and because i was very active before and during my pregnancy -- and after -- i expected to 'snap back.' -- it took 14 months.

So, if it takes a while, don't worry about it. It may not be because of diet/exercise/wathever, but because of hormones and whatever your body needs at the time. I'm now 2.5 yrs out and the best shape ever. ok? So, no rush and no worries.

Third, remember that your body has dramatically changed. Your hips are wider now than before (even if you had a c-section, the hormones loosened the tendons and the hips spread out). This means that the Q-angle of the femur (thigh bone) is different, which affects how your legs work. And your hips. And your lower back. It takes time for your body to get a handle on it.

So, take it pretty easy. Observe how you walk, first. And, starting with long slow walks (while baby-wearing!) is a great way to get into movement and discovering how you move and how it affects you.

Focus on diet, add in sprints when you feel you have a handle on your hips, and do some LHTs on a regular basis -- just the primal blueprint big 5 should keep you busy for a long while.